Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y lots of road noise rumble on stock 19's - any advice for improvement?

PhotonMiles

Apr 18, 2021
Burbank, CA
Yes however the ear fatigue could only be due, in part, to the peak at 35 Hz. The broader noise spectrum is probably just as much a source of discomfort. Active noise cancelling would be one way to minimize the perceived cabin noise. When I fly in a commercial plane I put on my Bose noise cancelling headset before takeoff, don't take the headset off until we land. The noise cancelling technology greatly reduces my ear fatigue when flying.
So I actually tried my sennheiser noise-canceling headphones and they actually made things worse because they can barely do anything to cancel out frequencies so low, but in fact cancel everything else out. So the net effect is that the booming rumble seems even louder and worse since it's the only remaining audible thing.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
The rumbling noise may be in part caused by the tires. What type of road surface? I experienced loud road noise on Michelin tires but only on a specific interstate road that was paved with concrete. When I needed to replace the tires I switched brands, much of the road noise was gone.

Schmidlack

Sep 23, 2019
San Diego
There are no silver bullets when it comes to reducing noise levels in cars. Luxury makers can use up to 500 lbs. of sound deadening materials. Think what that would do to an EV's range. Lead is the best material because it is really dense, but obviously impractical due to the weight. Tesla's cars often weigh less than competitors EV's and maybe part of the reason is that they accept more noise rather than more weight, thus less range.

• Helpful
Reactions: srlawren

polyphonic54

Aug 29, 2019
USA
Here's a short video I recorded earlier today showing my decibel meter set to dBC (more accurately measuring low frequencies) while I drive 20 MPH down an average-quality neighborhood street in Los Angeles. Noise levels average 95-97 dB and go as high as 105 dB at one point! Geez! Not good.
Do you recommend that Extech meter? Looks like the SL510 if I'm not mistaken.

PhotonMiles

Apr 18, 2021
Burbank, CA
Do you recommend that Extech meter? Looks like the SL510 if I'm not mistaken.
This Extech SL510 is a perfectly good professional dB meter and accurate to within 1dB. It’s not the best thing ever; I’d love something with some more modern capability like a built in FFT readout and an easy way to get records into a computer. Unfortunately meters with those features are typically thousands of dollars. But for the price it’s quite good, with the main benefit being the accuracy and reliability of the readings.

Reactions: polyphonic54

LwlPeak

Mar 28, 2021
NC

Here's a short video I recorded earlier today showing my decibel meter set to dBC (more accurately measuring low frequencies) while I drive 20 MPH down an average-quality neighborhood street in Los Angeles. Noise levels average 95-97 dB and go as high as 105 dB at one point! Geez! Not good.
Jeez this sounds horrible. I don’t have my Tesla yet but if it was like this I would consider selling it quickly.

Luau26

Mar 23, 2020
Los Angeles
Hi, I found this thread and was going to make an appointment with my service center to try to get them to fix the sub in the hatch to see. I also fixed the squeak from the amplifier in the back right trunk behind the panel. I also isolated the sound from under the second row by placing felt under the seat actuators which are hooked on the same way as the amplifier and screwed down metal to metal. I have a service appointment to fix the middle seat rattle that is probably from the middle seat actuator. Fixing the amplifier and the middle row left and right seat actuator has made a world of difference. I currently keep the middle seat folded down to prevent the middle seat from rattling. Next is trying to get them to work on the sub in the hatch where I think a lot of your sound is coming from as well

polyphonic54

Aug 29, 2019
USA
This Extech SL510 is a perfectly good professional dB meter and accurate to within 1dB. It’s not the best thing ever; I’d love something with some more modern capability like a built in FFT readout and an easy way to get records into a computer. Unfortunately meters with those features are typically thousands of dollars. But for the price it’s quite good, with the main benefit being the accuracy and reliability of the readings.
Thanks - I used an earthworks M3 with Izotope RX in my cars but have been unable to make sense of the data. I’d be happy to process any recordings in RX.

Ordered the Extech. Will see what happens.

PhotonMiles

Apr 18, 2021
Burbank, CA
Thanks - I used an earthworks M3 with Izotope RX in my cars but have been unable to make sense of the data. I’d be happy to process any recordings in RX.

Ordered the Extech. Will see what happens.
I’m an audio engineer. I’d be happy to evaluate any recordings you have. The main thing to understand is that a recording will not allow me to evaluate loudness in the car itself (dB SPL, or sound pressure level, the real loudness in the world). That can only be determined using a dB meter and noting the readings. But I can do spectral analysis and identify which frequencies are loudest in relative terms.
You were very savvy to get an Earthworks mic for recording; these have an extremely flat fast and accurate frequency response making them well suited to frequency analysis.

Reactions: polyphonic54

Jejunjm

Mar 26, 2021
Tucson az
M3 owner. But enjoyed this thread. Are there any products on the horizon that could add noise cancellation? Unlike most earlier tesla products the predominant thing that annoys me is (I believe) lower frequency road noise.

PhotonMiles

Apr 18, 2021
Burbank, CA
I reached out to Mountain Pass Performance and Unplugged Performance to ask if their respective Comfort Coilovers would add any improvement to this booming road noise issue. TL;DR - nope.

Here is the response from MPP:

While they improve comfort, there isn't anything special about them that would reduce the transmission of road noise into the cabin. Our kits use the same isolating parts as the OEM suspension, which is something most aftermarket kits don't do. I think the cargo tray is your best bet, and you could even try a bunch of blankets first to test my theory!

And here is the response from Unplugged:

The luxury coilover kit will definitely help with the ride quality, especially over bumps. Since we are replacing the factory shock with a new unit along with an appropriate spring, the ride will be smoother. Our shock is adjustable so we can also dial in how firm or soft you want the ride to be.

As far as the noise coming through the car, the coilovers will not fix that issue. The issue is due to a lack of noise insulating materials and with the car being electric, outside noises can seem louder when compared to a standard combustion engine car.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC