Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I downloaded the Scan My Tesla. My pages look different, not sure how to get the exact ones that were posted previously but I got to this page that seems to indicate my battery is the 82kw one. Built in may of 2021, VIN 195xxx LR AWD

Attachments

• 18D9271C-58A1-4E74-881D-E25327B15E2F.png
    18D9271C-58A1-4E74-881D-E25327B15E2F.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Informative
Reactions: GOVA and Langzaiguy
Ok I found the battery page (man the app is hard to figure out) and it says the same 82.1kwh when new. Happy I have the 82kwh pack! I was going to be a little bit sad if it came back and said it was the older smaller pack. So for me the calculations using the screen info seemed to be pretty accurate.

Attachments

• EA24C71C-E7EF-42E3-A06E-F6FEC0606F80.png
    EA24C71C-E7EF-42E3-A06E-F6FEC0606F80.png
    417.7 KB · Views: 172
I suppose there's no way to tell if one has the bigger batter just based on VIN, or any other method
aside form what Beardedteslaguy had to do to figure it out?
SMT showing Full Pack When New of 82.1kWh is a strong indicator you have new cells, as he did.

Alternatively, you can take a picture of your battery label (this is for Model 3 but likely the same for Model Y). There is enough data out there on which packs are which (correlated to SMT), that the part number should be sufficient:

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

Last edited:
Reactions: swheat6345
I have the smaller pack 74kWh and I have a 7 seater. Just depends on what they have as they build the car.
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but did you perform the "(Est Range) * (Wh/mi) / SoC / 1000 Wh/KWh" equation to determine/confirm the pack size?

FWIW, I took delivery of a MY LR 7seat in April and have performed the calculation periodically (okay, I admit it... daily). I has given me 77-78 KWh. Further FWIW, my VIN is in the 150xxx range.

Reactions: Langzaiguy
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but did you perform the "(Est Range) * (Wh/mi) / SoC / 1000 Wh/KWh" equation to determine/confirm the pack size?

FWIW, I took delivery of a MY LR 7seat in April and have performed the calculation periodically (okay, I admit it... daily). I has given me 77-78 KWh. Further FWIW, my VIN is in the 150xxx range.
This formula estimates the MINIMUM pack capacity. Depends on the vehicle, but this formula does not always tell you your actual pack capacity - if your capacity is above the degradation threshold, it will just yield that.

I do need to add an addendum to that sticky in the Model 3 forum.

My total pack size is 78kWh but usable is 75 kWh there is roughly 3kWh is reserve. So, that means I do not have the 82kWh pack.

Reactions: pt19713
This formula estimates the MINIMUM pack capacity. Depends on the vehicle, but this formula does not always tell you your actual pack capacity - if your capacity is above the degradation threshold, it will just yield that.

I do need to add an addendum to that sticky in the Model 3 forum.
I agree that the formula does not give you the actual capacity and that this does represent a sort of minimum, but more accurately, the formula yields the capacity the vehicle uses internally. The reason it's important is that it's a readily-accessible data point for all owners. There is a great deal of comparing apples to oranges to bananas in this thread, so I think it's worth including that data point in this discussion.

but more accurately, the formula yields the capacity the vehicle uses internally.
If you look at the output from SMT and compare it to the energy screen formula:

If your energy exceeds the degradation threshold, the energy screen method will give the degradation threshold value in kWh.

Meanwhile, your available energy, which the car uses internally, will be visible in SMT (and may be a small amount higher - typically no more than a couple kWh).

Once your nominal full pack drops below the degradation threshold (due to capacity loss), the energy screen method seems accurate and represents the car energy used internally. At that point SMT and the energy screen method will match.

All of the values (but not the energy screen when energy exceeds the degradation threshold) represent “estimates” but that is what the car uses, and it is generally fairly accurate (within a couple kWh I think).

The degradation threshold value is:

Max displayed rated miles when new for that vehicle model & year (not necessarily that particular vehicle if it came with a low energy pack) when at 100% * Charging Constant for that vehicle.

For example, for Model Y recently delivered, 331 miles seems to be the max. The constant is about 238.6Wh/mi.

And the degradation threshold is about 79kWh. That is what the energy screen method will display. (For a car at or above the threshold.)

This is my current understanding and subject to change if new data does not fit the framework.

Last edited: