Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'2021' Model Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just place my Model X Long Range Plus!
Specs: Blue + black & white interior | 6 seats | 20" rims

Now, I understand Tesla does not follow the traditional auto-maker model year production concept. Wifey wants the ' title' 2021 on our new Model X
Question: Will Tesla start 'labeling' new production starting mid-December? January?
How was it last year in 2019?

The 2020 model year was an "odd duck" year for Tesla.

At least on the Model S, it began on or around 1 Sep 2019 as we have a 2020 MS that was built in 2019.

According to ONE sales advisor, that didn't happen for 2021 model year cars; Tesla went back to normal ops. Best to look at the 10th digit of the VIN--it's an "L" it's a 2020.

I'll presume an "M" would be a 2021 model year.

FWIW, so far I've not seen any 2021's in the wild as of early October 2020.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is 2020 titled Tesla Model 3's started rolling off the line on or about 01 November 2019. Previous to that year, however, my understanding is they used 01 January. So we are about 5-6 weeks away from owners taking delivery of early November built cars to see if Tesla repeats 2020 for 2021 year model vehicles.

After rejecting a Model Y that looked like a 4 year old assembled it we decided to wait to match until after 01 January 2021, however, for the most part it looks like the Model Y has come a long way in build quality. Save for a few extreme examples (like the most recent roof flying off of a Model Y). So I was tempted to match mid October, after the big end of 3rd quarter push, but now I might as well wait to see if 2021's start rolling off the line on 01 November.

Thanks everyone

See this thread: 2021 Model S

Thank you. This was what I expected in that thred
The 2020 model year was an "odd duck" year for Tesla.

At least on the Model S, it began on or around 1 Sep 2019 as we have a 2020 MS that was built in 2019.

According to ONE sales advisor, that didn't happen for 2021 model year cars; Tesla went back to normal ops. Best to look at the 10th digit of the VIN--it's an "L" it's a 2020.

I'll presume an "M" would be a 2021 model year.

FWIW, so far I've not seen any 2021's in the wild as of early October 2020.

Thank you. I read about this too. I wasn't aware of the letter, though, for 2020/2021. my Estimated Delivery: November 03 - December 01
I'm hoping it will be a 2021. If not, I hope there will be 'flaws' or somehow we can postpone delivery :)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is 2020 titled Tesla Model 3's started rolling off the line on or about 01 November 2019. Previous to that year, however, my understanding is they used 01 January. So we are about 5-6 weeks away from owners taking delivery of early November built cars to see if Tesla repeats 2020 for 2021 year model vehicles.

After rejecting a Model Y that looked like a 4 year old assembled it we decided to wait to match until after 01 January 2021, however, for the most part it looks like the Model Y has come a long way in build quality. Save for a few extreme examples (like the most recent roof flying off of a Model Y). So I was tempted to match mid October, after the big end of 3rd quarter push, but now I might as well wait to see if 2021's start rolling off the line on 01 November.

I read that as well on another thread, but no indication Tesla will continue what they did last year. I also understand, for resale value, makes sense and to also encourage sales for end of year car purchases

Reactions: imola.zhp
I ordered a new Model X on Sept 23rd. The Vin was assigned on Oct 4, 5YJXCDE27MF308###, and I have scheduled delivery next Saturday. When I plugged the Vin into my insurance policy for a quote, it came up as a 2021 model year. I'm not sure if that means anything. It doesn't matter to me if it is a 2021 or 2020 model, as of right now, they are the same vehicle. There are nearly 240,000 model X's between my current model X (2017 vin) and my new model X vin, so it will be interesting to experience all the little improvements that have been made in the past 3 years. I've posted a Youtube video with some of my thoughts about ordering a new Model X.

I ordered a new Model X on Sept 23rd. The Vin was assigned on Oct 4, 5YJXCDE27MF308###, and I have scheduled delivery next Saturday. When I plugged the Vin into my insurance policy for a quote, it came up as a 2021 model year. I'm not sure if that means anything. It doesn't matter to me if it is a 2021 or 2020 model, as of right now, they are the same vehicle. There are nearly 240,000 model X's between my current model X (2017 vin) and my new model X vin, so it will be interesting to experience all the little improvements that have been made in the past 3 years. I've posted a Youtube video with some of my thoughts about ordering a new Model X.

The "M" in your VIN indicates it is a 2021 model.

Thanks for sharing. I ordered on 9/20, no VIN yet but my account shows November 1st through November 29th delivery. Although there's no difference, I prefer getting a 2021 for resale.

Thank you!
This is what I was looking for, a new Model X purchase with an assigned VIN#. Obviously, I'm still waiting for my VIN# and will continue to wait for that 10th digit "M" to make the wifey happy.

Congratulations. If you can, put some pics....thanks

Reactions: imola.zhp