Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Performance vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'm coming from a 2019 Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and i picked up a 2021 Performance with P-Zero's last monday. First thing i noticed going on the highway after delivery was a vibration, from 80 and up to 125 km/t, i can feel it in the seat, armrest and slighly in the steering wheel, not a shaking in the steering wheel but a ever so little vibration. Driving in a curve on the hightway at 100-110 makes the front/steering wheel vibrate more than driving straight, I checked the balancing on all 4 wheels at work, 3 wheels needed 10g, and last one 20g, but it did not make any difference.

Have anyone else experienced the same? i suspect some tire fault/flat spotting on the P-Zero's, but have anyone had a bad alignment causes this?

I have set up an appointment next week, a ranger is gonna test drive it, but wanted to check here if anyone have had this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevs6382
I picked up a 2021 LR 3 last week and am experiencing something similar, except it’s subtle vibration primarily in the steering wheel. Am scheduled to take it in next week but I am curious to see if it’s a similar issue to yours and if anyone else has run into this problem. I hope it is easily fixed.

2021 M3P here. I also have the same vibration in the steering wheel. It starts at 75mph and becomes more noticeable as the speed goes upward. Feels like a wheel balance issue. I’ve had the car for about a week and noticed it on the day of delivery. I’m curious to know how your appointment goes Psycho. Please keep us updated.

Mobile service technician tried my car today, he confirmed the vibration issue, and he also pointed out that the steering felt a little nervous, i also feel that, but did not mention it to him, so one more thing confirmed. New appointment in November.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Mobile service technician tried my car today, he confirmed the vibration issue, and he also pointed out that the steering felt a little nervous, i also feel that, but did not mention it to him, so one more thing confirmed. New appointment in November.
Is that what happens when you make a service appointment with a Tesla center? Do they send out a mobile technician to verify the concern, then set up another appointment to bring the car in for the repairs? Sorry for the noob question. I’m on my first Tesla only two weeks in..

Is that what happens when you make a service appointment with a Tesla center? Do they send out a mobile technician to verify the concern, then set up another appointment to bring the car in for the repairs? Sorry for the noob question. I’m on my first Tesla only two weeks in..
In some cases, yes. It just depends on what the issue is. For most issues, they'll either tell you that mobile service can fix it, or to bring it into the SC because mobile service can't fix it. And yet another factor is how far away you are from the closest SC. I'm 131.6 miles away from the nearest SC, so they're pretty good about sending mobile service out for any concerns... of which, I've only had two so far. That's in two years of ownership... a dead 12v battery that I had fixed at the SC because I happened to want to drive there anyway, and one headlight assembly that went out, which was handled by mobile service.

And don't worry about the noob questions! That's why this forum exists... for us to all learn from each other and discuss our cars. :)

Welcome to TMC! :D

Reactions: MrSlowEv
I live 20min away from the service center, but i also had a couple of other things that he looked at (cosmetic). i dont know why they sent him in this case, as they already told me he could not fix it today. But he took some photos of the cosmetic issues atleast, and i could have a talk with him about a few things :p

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Hello,
I had the same issue on my Model 3 Performance 2021 and it is now fixed.

- First 4 wheels balancing dindn't change a lot, maybe a small improvment
- Replacing 1 of the front wheels didn't change anything

It was a flat spotting on the P-Zero's, they are very soft and are deformed aduring transport and scotckage. Fortunately this gradually disappeared between 2000 and 5000km

Hello,
I had the same issue on my Model 3 Performance 2021 and it is now fixed.

- First 4 wheels balancing dindn't change a lot, maybe a small improvment
- Replacing 1 of the front wheels didn't change anything

It was a flat spotting on the P-Zero's, they are very soft and are deformed aduring transport and scotckage. Fortunately this gradually disappeared between 2000 and 5000km

Thanks for replying. So you basically just used the car and it gradually got better? Now its all gone?

I have moved my appointment to next week, excited to see the outcome on this. My car now has 1000km on it.

One thing for sure, i liked my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my 2019 Performance better, better ride, and better grip when acceleration, full throttle the P-Zero's can be a bit scary.

Reactions: TomaGo
Hi!

I'm coming from a 2019 Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and i picked up a 2021 Performance with P-Zero's last monday. First thing i noticed going on the highway after delivery was a vibration, from 80 and up to 125 km/t, i can feel it in the seat, armrest and slighly in the steering wheel, not a shaking in the steering wheel but a ever so little vibration. Driving in a curve on the hightway at 100-110 makes the front/steering wheel vibrate more than driving straight, I checked the balancing on all 4 wheels at work, 3 wheels needed 10g, and last one 20g, but it did not make any difference.

Have anyone else experienced the same? i suspect some tire fault/flat spotting on the P-Zero's, but have anyone had a bad alignment causes this?

I have set up an appointment next week, a ranger is gonna test drive it, but wanted to check here if anyone have had this issue.
I am having this exact same issue with my 2021 M3P. Tire balance was checked twice and they are perfectly balanced. I swapped the front tires to the back and the issue persists. It’s a very subtle vibration around 60-65 mph, but doesn’t seems to get worse with higher speeds.

I’ve been thinking about making a service appointment to see if they find anything but the service center is 1.5 hours away and I haven’t found time in my schedule to do it yet. I will inspect the tires tomorrow to see if I can find any flat spots. I really hate those Pirellis, had 18 wheels with Pilot Sport 4S and didn’t have any problems. Immediately after going back to the Pirellis I started noticing this issues.

I am thinking about ordering a set of PS4S for my 20” Uberturbine to get rid of the Pzeros.

Reactions: Stevs6382
Had to go out on the highway today (i normally dont go there that often), man, it really shakes - even worse than before i believe. Can really feel it in the whole seat, floor and armrest. Seems to get a tad better after driving a little but not much. Driving 110 km/t in a slight curve makes the front vibrates alot. Its getting colder here (winter is coming :p ), around 5-8c, maybe the low temperature making it even worse.

A small update. Got my car back from Tesla, They have rebalanced all tires, tried to rotate the tire on the rim, performed wheel allignement and checked torqe on suspension, but still vibration. However, with my winter tires (Orginial 20" Performance rims with Nokian R3 tires) the vibration is gone. The solution from Tesla (so far) is to get 2 complete new wheels (rims+tires), im not sure if only 2 is enough, but gonna try that first.

Shame on Tesla for ditching those wonderfull Michelin Pilot Sport tires they had before on the Performance :(

Reactions: TomaGo