Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Factory Firmware Hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
OC, Calif.
Can those with refresh deliveries share about how long it took to get their first firmware update please? Mine was delivered with 2021.31.103 and shows 2021.32 pending. So I’m waiting on the yoke control / turn signal updates, Sirius XM support, etc. The service center said factory locks down firmware updates for some period of time. Thanks

Reactions: benh57
Can those with refresh deliveries share about how long it took to get their first firmware update please? Mine was delivered with 2021.31.103 and shows 2021.32 pending. So I’m waiting on the yoke control / turn signal updates, Sirius XM support, etc. The service center said factory locks down firmware updates for some period of time. Thanks
Do you have an orange down arrow on the top of your screen? Have you connected your car to WIFI at home?

Upvote 0
I'm also on 2021.31.103, waiting since 10/28. When did you take delivery? Nothing pending yet...
Delivered 10/29.
Do you have an orange down arrow on the top of your screen? Have you connected your car to WIFI
No and yes; software updates set to Advanced too, with multiple reboots. How long did it take for you to receive the first update after delivery?

According to the service center, there are factory firmware holds on deliveries, likely to keep the new fleet stable for awhile avoiding mass updates and user or car issues for new owners.

Upvote 0
Delivered 10/29.

No and yes; software updates set to Advanced too, with multiple reboots. How long did it take for you to receive the first update after delivery?

According to the service center, there are factory firmware holds on deliveries, likely to keep the new fleet stable for awhile avoiding mass updates and user or car issues for new owners.
Can't remember exactly, but wasn't more than a few weeks

Upvote 0
After searching a bit on the forums i see a lot of folks saying 4 ish weeks. A bit annoying.
Well I could complain about not have Sirius and the new automatic turn signal features, but I got a great car months ahead of schedule. So happy to wait. Tesla requires patience, but good things usually come eventually.

Upvote 0
Got my Plaid Nov 4th, waiting as well, a bit eager but we'll see, I might ask if the technicians can push a newer software update to me when I bring it in for service on the 16th. There's a few cosmetic things that need to be addressed that I noticed from delivery. Front bumper just needs a bit of adjusting but very minor (being nitpicky), and rear trunk latch/striker that needs to be adjusted maybe. Then, I also noticed driver and rear passenger handles sound funny when they come out, rear passenger one doesn't come out all the way so the light on it gets blocked and looks dim

Upvote 0
I’m at 2 weeks today, and no updates. The service techs cannot override the factory hold apparently (unless car is undriveable, and service ctr reflashes everything).

rear trunk latch/striker that needs to be adjusted maybe

FYI, you can adjust each side of rear hatch yourself to level out and align with quarter panels by spinning the top / bottom black stoppers on each side of trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: Pdubs
Upvote 0
Geez - that is a bummer. Supposed to pick up my car in next week or two. Really want to have Sirius already active. You would think would come from the factory with the latest update or service center would do that. Very strange.
Don’t worry, you may not get the latest but certainly +1 from my “ancient” 2021.31.103 which is just before the Sirius update. I can actually see 2021.32 staged but it won’t install yet.

Reactions: DBV1
Upvote 0
I’m at 2 weeks today, and no updates. The service techs cannot override the factory hold apparently (unless car is undriveable, and service ctr reflashes everything).

FYI, you can adjust each side of rear hatch yourself to level out and align with quarter panels by spinning the top / bottom black stoppers on each side of trunk.
Yea I have a service center appointment so we'll see if they push it out? not sure or i can beg them lol

As for the hatch they were trying to adjust those when I was picking up the car since I complained about some adhesive in the inner trunk jam. When i arrived to pick it up they were already outside fiddling with it and had a service technician come out to check it as well.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem , refresh LR S is still at 2021.31.101 with last update shown as Sept9 ( which is when the care was made I assume), took delivery in Toronto Sept 25. no problem with regular wifi, set to advanced. (my 3rd S so know how the downloads work)
had service check several times and said controlled by factory so they cannot do anything, that no downloads available for my vin and not yet put on to the download system yet. glad to see others with same problem as thought they just forgot about my car. another Toronto same car built 330 cars earlier already has all updates. the only thing with mine was that after it went from dealer to my garage, I actually only started driving it Oct 19 and previous to that it did not have wifi and not likely connected to cellular (as was in my garage).

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Upvote 0
I have the same problem , refresh LR S is still at 2021.31.101 with last update shown as Sept9 ( which is when the care was made I assume), took delivery in Toronto Sept 25. no problem with regular wifi, set to advanced. (my 3rd S so know how the downloads work)
had service check several times and said controlled by factory so they cannot do anything, that no downloads available for my vin and not yet put on to the download system yet. glad to see others with same problem as thought they just forgot about my car. another Toronto same car built 330 cars earlier already has all updates. the only thing with mine was that after it went from dealer to my garage, I actually only started driving it Oct 19 and previous to that it did not have wifi and not likely connected to cellular (as was in my garage).
Well, we are a bit different , (OP and I) just took delivery Oct 28+29, which is just over 2 weeks old.

Since you say you haven't driven it much until Oct 19 -- I wonder if it's not just time based, if it's also mileage or number of trips based. That would actually make a lot of sense from their perspective, if it was both time and (must drive 1000 miles and/or 100 trips) or something. The idea is to make sure any issues with the car are with the car and not updated software, so they keep it on a 'stable' release for (a certain amount of time)

Upvote 0
Same here took delivery 10/31 no software updates yet, having to turn off blinkers after lane change is very annoying
No kidding. I'm wondering if the factory hold is time-based, mileage or both. I think a bunch of us are stuck on 2021.31. I'm finding excuses to drive fun roads every day, which of course requires more car washes.

Reactions: vlicaros
Upvote 0
This is the support group I’ve been looking for lol. Took delivery 11/1. Have some small bugs I know a software update will fix. On the same version as you guys. Took the car into service and it’s basically confirmed that mileage is a component of getting off the factory software. It would be interesting to know how many miles you guys are at (I’m at 922).

Upvote 0
667 miles, I just posted this in another thread:

I’m on the same 2021.31.103 and delivered 10/29. I dropped by the service center yesterday about another small item. Anyway, they said factory firmware holds are released in waves and it can take weeks. The service center and mobile techs cannot override. I suspect as someone else noted that we must wait for them to branch that release to some newer one, not necessarily in sequence with normal updates. PS, I tried connecting to the service center WiFi and rebooting… no go.

Reactions: CraneKick
Upvote 0