Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate adjustment DIY info on 2023 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Hi @TLLMRRJ , I tried to turn the screw in a clockwise direction to loosen it, since I assumed I was working on the back side of the screw. Was I correct? As soon as I began trying to turn the screw, the ribs just sheared right off, and I was working very slowly and carefully. Thanks so much.

That is correct, but it all does depend on your perspective. From the bottom perspective of the wrench you are turning clockwise, but from the top of the wrench you are turning counterclockwise.

To avoid any confusion, find a spare screw around your house, clamp the vice grips on the bottom of the screw and then turn the head counterclockwise looking from the top of the screw and confirm you are moving the vice grips in the same direction while on the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Better to ask here for all others to benefit as well.
There is 12.6mm gap between the top glass and the the liftgate glass. It looks pretty big. Does that seem excessive? To adjust the liftgate forward, I would only need to loosen the bolts under the headliner and slide it up? Of course remove the liftgate struts before attempting. Also, would a wrench (proper size) be easier than vice grips and a socket?

There is 12.6mm gap between the top glass and the the liftgate glass. It looks pretty big. Does that seem excessive? To adjust the liftgate forward, I would only need to loosen the bolts under the headliner and slide it up? Of course remove the liftgate struts before attempting. Also, would a wrench (proper size) be easier than vice grips and a socket?

Post a pic of the gap so I can see how it looks. You can only close the gap so far before the glass will hit the frame when you open the hatch.

The vice grip and torx socket were for loosen the bolts under the glass to raise and lower the hatch, which does not sound like you need to make that adjustment. The bolts under the headliner are a regular socket head.

Yes, that is an excessive gap. You can definitely move it closer. I don't know exactly how close you can get, so it will be trial and error. After making an adjustment, very slowly lift the hatch by hand to test for the hatch glass rubbing on the frame.

Yes, that is an excessive gap. You can definitely move it closer. I don't know exactly how close you can get, so it will be trial and error. After making an adjustment, very slowly lift the hatch by hand to test for the hatch glass rubbing on the frame.
Thanks for the feedback. How much of the interior do I need to remove to get to the bolts under the headliner?

Thanks for the feedback. How much of the interior do I need to remove to get to the bolts under the headliner?

You need to remove the side panels that hold up the headliner by the back window. And to remove the side panels, you have to remove a bunch of other panels along the side. It's without a doubt a very painful effort. I hate removing interior panels because that often weakens their mounting points, but it has to be done to get to the bolts.

You can see why Tesla SC reps will lie until the cows come home to get out of making any adjustment to rear hatch. They have to remove the back glass to make the height adjustment because they aren't smart enough to grab the screw ends like I have shown. The factory could have so easily aligned the hatch perfectly before adding in the glass or the interior trim, but they show just how little they care with their poor craftmanship. The factory leaves it to the SC's to fix their poor work, and the SC's are now tired of doing it, so they just want you to suck it up.

You need to remove the side panels that hold up the headliner by the back window. And to remove the side panels, you have to remove a bunch of other panels along the side. It's without a doubt a very painful effort. I hate removing interior panels because that often weakens their mounting points, but it has to be done to get to the bolts.

You can see why Tesla SC reps will lie until the cows come home to get out of making any adjustment to rear hatch. They have to remove the back glass to make the height adjustment because they aren't smart enough to grab the screw ends like I have shown. The factory could have so easily aligned the hatch perfectly before adding in the glass or the interior trim, but they show just how little they care with their poor craftmanship. The factory leaves it to the SC's to fix their poor work, and the SC's are now tired of doing it, so they just want you to suck it up.
I appreciate the info. I need to determine if its worth it. You're right, a little effort at the factory and we could avoid all this. Whats odd is my 2018 M3P was just about perfect. All my gaps and body lines were good. Again, thanks for the guidance and insight.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

View attachment 916229
"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
can you give more detail on how you get to the bolt on liftgate side? my passenger side liftgate is sitting lower than it should. i don't see a way to get the tool in without removing the glass. any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The right side of my hatch has always been misaligned. The exposed area by the badge bugs me the most. Is this adjustable by loosening the torx bolts or do I have to go under the headliner?
View attachment 991021View attachment 991022

left to right and front to back is under the headliner

Up and down is from the exposed screws on the hinge.

Looks like you need a full adjustment.

• Informative
Reactions: NarTaX
Hello, Tesla team! My new Model S delivered last month with a 'cracking' sound at the center edge of the roof and lift gate glass when opened all the way.

One obvious cure - just don't open the lift gate all the way! Doctor - it hurts when I do this....

This is my 4th Model S over 9 years so not acceptable. Magically, Tesla Service eliminated the problem by realigning the roof hinges. Great! Now, the left side of the lift gate margin is slightly below the rear side panel and the right side is slightly above the right side panel. Not great! Tesla agreed to realign the entire lift gate. Based upon the time it took to do, I do not believe the Service Manual's remove/replace lift gate process was done.

I asked that a more skilled technician to do the work that will happen tomorrow. Will report back to the group... I honestly think Tesla's growing pains are showing up on the Service side. I NEVER had an issue until this... The Service Dept itself in Chicago suburbs has always been great!

Hello, Tesla team! My new Model S delivered last month with a 'cracking' sound at the center edge of the roof and lift gate glass when opened all the way.

One obvious cure - just don't open the lift gate all the way! Doctor - it hurts when I do this....

This is my 4th Model S over 9 years so not acceptable. Magically, Tesla Service eliminated the problem by realigning the roof hinges. Great! Now, the left side of the lift gate margin is slightly below the rear side panel and the right side is slightly above the right side panel. Not great! Tesla agreed to realign the entire lift gate. Based upon the time it took to do, I do not believe the Service Manual's remove/replace lift gate process was done.

I asked that a more skilled technician to do the work that will happen tomorrow. Will report back to the group... I honestly think Tesla's growing pains are showing up on the Service side. I NEVER had an issue until this... The Service Dept itself in Chicago suburbs has always been great!
My 23 MSP is exhibiting this exact symptom.

My 23 MSP is exhibiting this exact symptom.
Suggest that you head to Tesla Service ASAP to get corrected. Otherwise, if you wait too long, they will blame you! Picked up my car today and no more creaking AND the liftgate is properly aligned. I asked Svce Mgr to have his top tech to oversee work. Finally, nice job, Tesla!

Another issue with an unacceptable outcome - my last 3 Model S's had an auto-reverse feature when the liftgate hit an object as it was lowering. With my 2023 Model S, it hits an object and just stops. Told it was operating as designed...

Can someone confirm that the way to loosen the roof side hinge screws without removing the glass is through the e-torx end of the screws poking through the bottom of the roof side hinge? The size looks to be E5.
So I got an E5 socket and it fits the bottom of the screw on the roof hinge side. Can someone confirm THIS is what we need loosen if we want to raise liftgate on the hinge by 1 or 2 mm with a shim? It looks like it could also be done through the headliner on the body side but there is a bigger chance of of water intrusion if it isn't sealed just right.