Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really not sure what your problem is? What do you mean by pre-face? As in pre-facelift/original refresh? Nose Cone Model S? I see the rear facing seats. I don't have one of those. I have a 2021 Refresh that still has a bumper to bumper warranty that I'm not really interested in voiding. But, hats off to you sir for being the first and figuring it out for your type of Model S.

I'm going to take Nintendo80's word that the 2022 Refresh Refresh Taillights have plug and play wiring on the 2021 Refresh. You know, because he bought ALL the parts and attempted it. And as to your last challenge, if I needed to make a modified wiring harness, I could no problem and with no help. I wouldn't even need the schematic, and when I was done it would be Plug and Play without hacking the harness to bits in the process.

Pro tip: 90+% of OEM Automotive wiring harnesses have removable male pins. You likely didn't have to splice, and you wasted a bunch of time.
My car is 2017 model it have 3rd row seat. And Nintendo confirm he is wrong.
Bye. Won't post in public no more.
If anyone want talk, pm me private

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: USMCAviator
My car is 2017 model it have 3rd row seat. And Nintendo confirm he is wrong.
Turns out you are right and I'm wrong. I apologize for questioning a single model year difference. Color me embarrassed. So, we now all know the 2016-2021 (probably even earlier) Model Ss have the same quarter taillight wiring layout and need to be adapted to the new light. Is the trunk different? Looking at the harness for the 2021 and 2022 both in epc and on eBay, they seem to have the same part number, but you know been wrong before! :)

Guys I did not test the turn light, shame on me, however I can create an adapter for this easily…
So, I'm curious about the need for an adapter? Is the wiring difference a Pin Swap or is there an in-line resistor needed/wire to Ground/or circuit split? The latter would require an adapter to not modify the light or existing wiring, as you have said. If it's relocating the pins in the connector, we can likely use this:

Pin Extractor Set

It's a lot cleaner to not have anything at all. Just need to know the "as-is" and "to-be" state. The challenge with an extractor is not damaging the wire or the housing so they won't lock together, which is why there are so many kinds. It takes a while to find the right tool, but once you know it's very quick to swap them. I have a set like that and might try it this weekend. Wish Tesla sold Pigtails like Ford/GM, a lot easier to try on a throw-away part.

New tail w/ gloss black liftgate applique cut.

Attachments

• 20221111_081616~3.jpg
    20221111_081616~3.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 406
Ok so yesterday I started from scratch and verified everything. I confirm and so do HTL, that the new taillight are plug and play. The only problem for 2020 and earlier model is: the charge port is different and the charging system has the ECU included in the charge port. but HTL has a very good solution in place so we will see soon the Lh side of his car.

Ok so yesterday I started from scratch and verified everything. I confirm and so do HTL, that the new taillight are plug and play. The only problem for 2020 and earlier model is: the charge port is different and the charging system has the ECU included in the charge port. but HTL has a very good solution in place so we will see soon the Lh side of his car.
The taillights are plug and play for facelift 2016+?

I’ve read this pre/post mod edit like 5 times each and back through the thread. This statement seems odd given the wiring work he did and the previous statements you’ve made. It was plug and play, then it wasn’t, now it is again. Is there a switch/setting in Toolbox to make them plug and play?

This is all very confusing. Explain it to me like I’m five(which isn’t far from the truth).

• Funny
Reactions: Drew-MS