Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure backwards compatibility is of zero concern to Tesla, both in terms of making it possible or impossible. There’s zero impact to Tesla either way, given the current state of the universe for them.

Here is what is very likely:
- major hard attachment points (attachment to fenders/body) are probably the same.
- different center appliqué on the hatch is a minor issue that can be resolved easily in the aftermarket
- larger space for charge port for EU CCS combo plug is probably a priority
- since that requires a significant change to the taillight’s physical design, they will take the opportunity to update the overall taillight design to align with current design philosophy (diffused led, etc)
- since Tesla uses a bus to drive all electrical items now, if the old taillights don’t use that bus they will update to the bus in the new taillight.
- even if the current taillights do use the same bus, that won’t mean the new taillights will be plug and play with old cars since the lighting controller will minimally need different code for a different end point module.
- difference in charge port might be a major problem for plug and play into an old S.

Tldr: backwards compatibility odds are less than 50/50.
it's actually a bit worse than that. I have got all the refresh tail light from ebay and tested they all work no programming required however,
the hard attachment (attachment to fenders/body) is completely different. I tested the new charge port and door too and it works with no software changes. you do need a new charge port, charge outlet and ECU. the problem is just how to attach all the lights to the body.
the tailgate one are the only one mount perfectly and like I said work perfectly no change required. even the connector is the same for all of them.

Alas. So it’s the total opposite of what I thought but the result is the same.

How different are the hard attachments? Is this a “weld in some different tabs and it will work” kind of different, or “more than just the fender is different and we are talking structural” kind of different?

the change is only on the inner fender. yes you can definitely make a small sheet metal bracket can get it installed. the only complicated one is the one on the charge port side... look the two pictures below.

Attachments

• GUID-0C63F7FC-BF7E-4DB0-B075-3AA28297561F-online-en-US (1).jpg
    GUID-0C63F7FC-BF7E-4DB0-B075-3AA28297561F-online-en-US (1).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • GUID-D4F0689A-C6C2-46F4-BE39-1D76022D44F1-online-en-US.jpg
    GUID-D4F0689A-C6C2-46F4-BE39-1D76022D44F1-online-en-US.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 697
…So what y’all saying is that there is a chance to retrofit 🤓
1666725377931.jpeg

Seriously though. I’m doing this retrofit. Please add to my attempt for a parts list below.

Any risks of using epoxy to fasten the bracket? Is it worth having the bracket machined?

I requested we split the thread. It would also be nice for the parts list to be a wiki.

Parts List:
Left rear panel lamp assembly
Left tailgate lamp assembly
Right rear panel lamp assembly
Right tailgate lamp assembly
Charge port
Charge outlet
ECU
Tailgate appliqué (could modify)
Non Tesla Adapter bracket

Last edited:
Parts List:
Left rear panel lamp assembly - 1563720-00-B
Left tailgate lamp assembly - 1613764-00-C
Right rear panel lamp assembly - 1563721-00-B
Right tailgate lamp assembly - 1613765-00-B
Right Riflex RHS, MS - 1608178-00-C
Charge port - 1530812-99-C
Charge outlet - 1567500-10-A
ECU - 1619321-01-C
Tailgate appliqué (could modify)- 1647807-00-A
Non Tesla Adapter bracket - no idea what is that

View attachment 867431
Seriously though. I’m doing this retrofit. Please add to my attempt for a parts list below.

Any risks of using epoxy to fasten the bracket? Is it worth having the bracket machined?

I requested we split the thread. It would also be nice for the parts list to be a wiki.

Parts List:
Left rear panel lamp assembly
Left tailgate lamp assembly
Right rear panel lamp assembly
Right tailgate lamp assembly
Charge port
Charge outlet
ECU
Tailgate appliqué (could modify)
Non Tesla Adapter bracket
If you want the parts I can package everything and sell it to you.

I agree I check fenders on eBay are the same and so charge port plus of course tail light and Headlight. Yesterday I hooked up the three wires matrix headlight and they turn on but of course no turn sign light
For checking part numbers use the Tesla part catalogue! A bit easier than eBay and you can check all 3 different “versions” of the model s