Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mr Miserable thankyou so much for the informative, amusing and interesting posts.

I am awaiting a M3LR in blue with black interior. Live in Scotland (the nice end ;-)

I had my text like others giving me the Mar 01st - Mar 10th scheduled delivery. Does anyone have a guess as to what ship that would relate to? I'm watching the various ships on the tracker with interest.

Very excited to become part of the club - best wishes to all.

Reactions: EricVet
@Mr Miserable thankyou so much for the informative, amusing and interesting posts.

I am awaiting a M3LR in blue with black interior. Live in Scotland (the nice end ;-)

I had my text like others giving me the Mar 01st - Mar 10th scheduled delivery. Does anyone have a guess as to what ship that would relate to? I'm watching the various ships on the tracker with interest.

Very excited to become part of the club - best wishes to all.
I think Mr M said yesterday that likely on MORNING CELO... (I’m on same group with same text, but not final VIN yet), as if Glovis Century arrives at Southampton around 16-17th Feb, and it had “our cars” not sure why it would take 2 weeks from Southampton to new customers.. “unless it doesn’t take that time and maybe end up delivery by sooner”. Odd thing is, that Mr M may be able to answer is, I have not heard/see anyone here on TMC deliveries or shipping saying that they are having Texts with VINs or deliveries of M3s scheduled for end Feb, except for what’s on inventory already... so if Glovis Century is bringing thousands of M3s... where are they going to?

I think Mr M said yesterday that likely on MORNING CELO... (I’m on same group with same text, but not final VIN yet), as if Glovis Century arrives at Southampton around 16-17th Feb, and it had “our cars” not sure why it would take 2 weeks from Southampton to new customers.. “unless it doesn’t take that time and maybe end up delivery by sooner”. Odd thing is, that Mr M may be able to answer is, I have not heard/see anyone here on TMC deliveries or shipping saying that they are having Texts with VINs or deliveries of M3s scheduled for end Feb, except for what’s on inventory already... so if Glovis Century is bringing thousands of M3s... where are they going to?
So I've been given a VIN and told by the delivery team they are expecting the end of Feb, but the text is saying 5th-15th March. I asked this morning and they are trying to meet the end of Feb.... guess we will see!

• Informative
Contact at Tesla in U.K. says my order for a LHD M3 LR AWD has been matched to a VIN for a car in a ship to to arrive on 16 February. This was unprompted and he was very specific about this date.

he wasn’t specific about port of arrival however.
It could very well be GLOVIS CENTURY. My ETA is very approximate but we will know for sure when the ship leaves Suez.

• Helpful
Over at Pier 80 the loading of COSCO SHENG SHI (apparently there is a gap. It means 'time saver') is progressing well and will be complete later today.
I believe the plan will be for her to depart early tomorrow (around lunchtime in UK).
I'm not sure GRAND RUBY will have unloaded at Benicia by then though.
We shall see....

GLOVIS COMPANION has departed Portland and is on her way to Pier 80 where she is due to arrive on Friday evening. That doesn't give COSCO SHENGSHI very long to load and depart.
I'm also keeping an eye on GRAND RUBY which is due to arrive in Benicia tomorrow. As you may know, I have had this ship on my watch list for sometime and was pretty convinced she would appear alongside Pier 80 in January only to have my hopes dashed when she headed off to do a couple of runs to Mexico. I still think she is worth keeping an eye on but I don't know how or when she will feature. Could she hang around and be the next ship to Europe after GLOVIS COMPANION? We shall see....

Update: I note GRAND RUBY is showing on the Zeebruuge port schedule as arriving on 23 Feb. In order to achieve that she would need to leave San Francisco on 2 Feb. I can't see that happening at the moment.
Interestingly GLOVIS COMPANION is on there too arriving on 28 Feb - that can't be right?

And Horizon Leader is set to arrive on March 1st on the Zeebrugge port schedule - should be in the 14th-16th Feb. timeframe .
Something is, as is not uncommon, a bit wonky with the port schedule there.

And Horizon Leader is set to arrive on March 1st on the Zeebrugge port schedule - should be in the 14th-16th Feb. timeframe .
Something is, as is not uncommon, a bit wonky with the port schedule there.

Definitely wrong information on the Zeebrugge port schedule I would say - I got a screen capture from my TA yesterday showing my TM3 LR is on the Horizon Leader and the delivery dates are 21/28 February in the south of France (so obviously the ship is expected much earlier). Oh by the way, I actually asked the TA to remove the VIN as I wanted my delivery further down in March so hopefully I would get one next week once the Grand Ruby or Glovis Companion set sail (depending which one is bound first to Europe).

Think I’ve seen something saying no cars are delivered in last 2 weeks of Feb due to change of registration to following year (ie 22 plate). This may be just lease supplied cars....(which mine is), hence the high numbers first week or so of march (1-10 March).

Another busy day!

GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues on her rhumb line course across the Atlantic and is currently maintaining a good speed of around 18kts. During the last 24hrs she has covered 436nm. Whilst she is clear of any bad weather, large Atlantic swells are forecast for the weekend which may hamper her progress a little. I will explain the difference between a wave and a swell in a further post hopefully later today.
The rhumb line course will add at least 120nm (7.5hrs) to her track distance. It doesn’t sound like much but equates to about an extra $10,000 in fuel. So how is this money saving? During heavy weather the ship often cannot maintain its cruising speed and has to slow down meaning that the ship will have to speed up when clear of the weather to make up time. The fuel consumption increases exponentially the faster you go.
Additionally in strong winds (which always seem to be headwinds) and heavy seas the fuel consumption increases even if speed is reduced. The bottom line is that if you can avoid bad weather, do so, because if nothing else, it saves money.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 6 Feb.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER is maintaining her high speed dash towards Panama. She is currently about 160nm NW of Puerta Vallarta and maintaining 19 kts. The weather forecast for the next 24hrs is looking good as does the longer term outlook.
My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

The HORIZON LEADER competition remains open! ENTER HERE.

Horizon Lead Pacific.png

COSCO SHENG SHI completed loading last night and will be departing very shortly for ... somewhere in the Far East is my guess.

UPDATE: Her departure has been delayed - awaiting further cargo from Fremont. Unlikely to depart until late morning/ lunchtime. (7-8pm UK time) This should not delay GRAND RUBY.

GRAND RUBY will be the next ship to load at Pier 80 ahead of GLOVIS COMPANION. She is currently unloading across the other side of the San Francisco Bay at Benicia and the plan is to get her alongside Pier 80 this evening and to commence loading immediately. There appears to be a sense of urgency about this ship but I’m wondering if this is more about trying to ease congestion on the dock rather than any scheduling urgency. She will be heading to Europe and I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

GLOVIS COMPANION is lurking just off the coast, ready to come in as soon as GRAND RUBY departs.

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She is presently crossing the southern limits of the Bay of Bengal and is maintaining just under 17kts. There are no weather concerns at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too. She departed Shanghai on Monday and is currently in the South China Sea heading for Singapore where she is due to arrive tomorrow. Like GLOVIS CENTURY before her, this may just be a bunkering (refuelling) stop. We won’t be able to confirm that she is UK bound until she leaves Suez in a couple of weeks.

GRAND CHOICE Another ship that departed from Shanghai on Wednesday that is on my list of suspects. She is also heading to Singapore and is due to arrive there on 3 Feb. There is a suggestion that although this ship is heading for Southampton she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This maybe true and the first indication of this being the case will be when she leaves Singapore and heads for Jeddah. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 decks.

TORONTO took a long time to load (Shanghai loading is about the fastest there is) but finally left for Singapore this morning. Everybody seems to be heading for Singapore at the moment, presumably to refuel, they must be giving out free glasses or quad stamps there. (If you understand that last reference you are showing your age). TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

S China Sea 29 Jan .png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Waves and Swells

I was asked a question last year on this subject and reproduce the answer below:

The science of forecasting wave heights is a complex one and is becoming more complex as more is learned about their formation and characteristics.
In short, waves are caused by wind, however there are a number of factors which determine their height and, equally important, their frequency. Wind speed is clearly a factor and essentially it is the wind strength relative to the existing wave speed. Additionally the width and length of the fetch ie how big an area over which the wind blows in a single direction, are big factors coupled with the depth of the water.

All these factors affect the characteristics of a wave:
  1. Wave height which is measured from the crest to the trough.
  2. Wave length which is measured from crest to crest.
  3. Wave frequency which is the time interval between crests over a single point.
All this makes perfect sense when you think about it - you can’t get 50ft waves in Coniston Water but you can see them in the Atlantic.
Studying wave behaviour gave rise to the Beaufort Scale where the windspeed at sea could be pretty accurately estimated from wave behaviour.
The trouble is that waves carry an enormous amount of energy and they can travel great distances.

That is when they become a swell - they travel so far they bear no relation to the local wind conditions. You may have a wonderful calm day in Cornwall but the beaches are being pounded by big Atlantic rollers - the swell created some time ago by a storm many miles away. (A Tsunami however is not a swell)
You can have the swell travelling in one direction (generally smooth topped waves) and wind waves (peaked) travelling in another.
A cape can cause treacherously confused sea conditions as differing swells collide at different angles from the prevailing wind waves.

Only recently have scientists admitted to the existence of rogue waves, where waves combine to produce monster waves which have long been known about by mariners.

For years, scientists relied on a formula to compute the size of waves and there is a maximum wave size in this formula which many mariners argued was too small compared to the reality. It’s very difficult for a simple mariner to argue against a boffin with a slide rule. I have personal knowledge of this when giving evidence as to the size of waves one stormy night many years ago when a man was lost overboard from a nearby vessel. My evidence (and those of others in the same area of the Baltic at the time)was described as an exaggeration by a university professor. I described it as a short sea (waves coming at a high frequency) interspersed with bigger waves at a much lower frequency (a swell). If they combined (perhaps once an hour) you got a monster wave that would break over the vessel easily washing someone outside on a deck overboard. Anyway, I digress…

Forecasting wave heights has improved as they are now measured by satellite and computer models can be quickly adjusted to reflect actual conditions however, I don’t think the forecasting of swells per se has improved to the same degree.

Late last year a Briton applied to Guinness World Records for the title for the largest wave surfed, a monster over 80’ high off Portugal. This will probably come down to how the height of the wave is measured. For surfing, one method involves standing on the beach looking out to sea and another method takes an opposite view looking towards the beach from the sea. The large difference between the two methods is the trough size which is larger on the advancing side as the wave approaches the shore.

Hello,

i talked with Tesla and they said I was matched and my car was on a boat from usa. (5YJxx 889xxx)
I don't know the date I was matched but I guess my car is on either Glovis Captain or Horizon Leader?

What date must I have been matched to be on the Glovis, and could you guess when it will arrive in Norway?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but didn't know where else to ask

Hello,

i talked with Tesla and they said I was matched and my car was on a boat from usa. (5YJxx 889xxx)
I don't know the date I was matched but I guess my car is on either Glovis Captain or Horizon Leader?

What date must I have been matched to be on the Glovis, and could you guess when it will arrive in Norway?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but didn't know where else to ask

Tesla should be able to give you a rough idea of when to expect your car. Cars to Norway have been going to Drammen via a variety of routes over the last 6 months - train to Drammen, ship to Drammen and ship to Oslo.

Not sure if you have seen this thread? If its like last quarter, it will get quite busy.

Inter-European Shipping and Deliveries

News on 11 ships today!

GLOVIS CAPTAIN
continues on her rhumb line course in her successful bid to avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. Her speed has reduced to about 16 kts and may reduce further as the stormy weather to her NW strengthens. Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 6 Feb.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER is maintaining her sprint towards Panama. She is currently about 60nm S of Lazero Cardenas and maintaining no less than 20 kts. As you may be aware I have been monitoring the Tehuantepecer wind and it looks as though HORIZON LEADER has timed her crossing of the area perfectly to coincide with a brief lull. When she crosses the zone tomorrow she should have calm seas, however 24 hrs later (Monday) the area will experience 5.5m high waves in the strong 60mph winds by which time she will be well clear. My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

The HORIZON LEADER competition remains open! ENTER HERE.
The competition will close when the ship enters the Panama Canal.

Horizon Lead Pacific.png

COSCO SHENG SHI departed to S Korea yesterday.

GRAND RUBY has now arrived alongside Pier 80. Very helpfully she has already updated her AIS to show her next destination to be Panama with an ETA of 10 Feb. As a result of that I am thinking that her departure from Pier 80 will likely be early on Tuesday morning and I continue to have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

GLOVIS COMPANION is lurking just off the coast, ready to come in as soon as GRAND RUBY departs. My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

LAKE GENEVA will now arrive alongside Pier 80 on 10 Feb. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS has been announced on the latest port schedule as arriving on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect she may be the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 Mar

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She is averaging a speed of 16.5 kts as she approaches the southern tip of Sri Lanka. There are no weather concerns at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

The following 3 ships are all in the South China Sea. I am experiencing difficulty in receiving satellite based position reports from ships in this area at the moment. I have contacted my provider and they are investigating the issue.

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too. She departed Shanghai on Monday and gave an ETA for Singapore of early today. Looking back, I think this may have been a little ambitious. Unfortunately in common with many vessels in the S China Sea I have not received a satellite position report from her and you will have noted that I estimated her position yesterday based on her stated ETA. I now think it more likely that she will arrive in Singapore late tomorrow or early Monday.

GRAND CHOICE She departed Shanghai on Wednesday and is another ship that is on my list of suspects. She is also heading to Singapore and is due to arrive there on 3 Feb. There is a suggestion that although this ship is heading for Southampton she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This maybe true and the first indication of this being the case will be when she leaves Singapore and heads for Jeddah. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 decks.

TORONTO departed to Singapore yesterday and is due to arrive there next Friday (5th) TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

Status
Not open for further replies.