Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GLOVIS SIRIUS has been announced on the latest port schedule as arriving on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect she may be the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 Mar

This aligns with updates some US Model 3 customers have received on their deliveries for the 1st quarter, I now have a 2/14 - 2/28 delivery estimate, this change is from a 2/24 - 3/24 for me, one other forum user estimate was 3/1 - 3/30 and is now 2/15 - 3/1.

I have become a huge fan of your post, even though I am in the US... Thank You! (I run an AIS receiver near St. Louis, MO and monitor Barge Traffic on the Mississippi, Illinois, and Missouri Rivers.

I'd be grateful for friendly advice / benefit of experience. Like others very excited. I'm expecting a M3LR + towbar, pick up in Manchester.. Received text 26th Jan suggesting delivery Mar 1st to 10th. No VIN or further detail. Can anyone guess which boat it is on? How likely is delivery before 1st March. Is there any good reason to delay till new number plates? Thanks everyone. Seems great and patient community.

I'd be grateful for friendly advice / benefit of experience. Like others very excited. I'm expecting a M3LR + towbar, pick up in Manchester.. Received text 26th Jan suggesting delivery Mar 1st to 10th. No VIN or further detail. Can anyone guess which boat it is on? How likely is delivery before 1st March. Is there any good reason to delay till new number plates? Thanks everyone. Seems great and patient community.
You’re likely to be on Morning Cello. These messages went out just after she set sail from Shanghai and no tow bar spec M3s had been VIN matched up until that point.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that Tesla are delaying deliveries into March in order to use new registrations.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues on her rhumb line course in her successful bid to avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. Despite experiencing large swells created by the bad weather well to her north she is able to maintain 17 kts. Looking at the weather ahead it looks as though she will continue to avoid the worst of the weather but the seas will be rough all the way from now to the English Channel. Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 6 Feb.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER With just over 1000nm to go to the entrance to the Panama Canal she is on time to arrive on Tuesday evening. She is presently crossing the Gulf of Tehuantepecer where at the moment it is absolutely calm. There is no wind whatsoever. I will take a look at the weather at this position tomorrow and see what difference a day makes. If you aren’t sure what I’m babbling on about please read yesterday’s daily summary. The weather looks fine all the way to the Canal. My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

The HORIZON LEADER competition remains open! ENTER HERE.
The competition will close when the ship enters the Panama Canal.

Horizon Lead Pacific.png

GRAND RUBY continues to load alongside Pier 80. I’m expecting her to depart early on Tuesday morning. I’m hoping to be in a position to confirm this later today. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

GLOVIS COMPANION continues to lurk just off the coast, ready to come in as soon as GRAND RUBY departs. My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

LAKE GENEVA will arrive alongside Pier 80 on 10 Feb. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect probably the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 Mar

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She has rounded the southern tip of Sri Lanka. There are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too. She departed Shanghai on Monday and has now arrived at an anchorage in Singapore. I suspect this is just a bunkering (refuelling) stop and that she will resume her voyage after that. Let’s assume at stop of 24 hrs for the moment

The following 2 ships are all in the South China Sea region. I am experiencing difficulty in receiving satellite based position reports from ships in this area at the moment. I have contacted my provider and they are investigating the issue.

GRAND CHOICE She departed Shanghai on Wednesday and is another ship that is on my list of suspects. She is also heading to Singapore and is due to arrive there on Wednesday There is a suggestion that although this ship is heading for Southampton she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This maybe true and the first indication of this being the case will be when she leaves Singapore and heads for Jeddah. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 deck fulls.

TORONTO has left the Taiwan Straits behind and is now in the South China Sea making 17kts. She is due to arrive off Singapore on Friday. TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

You’re likely to be on Morning Cello. These messages went out just after she set sail from Shanghai and no tow bar spec M3s had been VIN matched up until that point.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that Tesla are delaying deliveries into March in order to use new registrations.

That's a good answer except I think it will be the leasing companies who will be delaying rather than Tesla. If you are not leasing and want to take delivery at the end of February I'm sure Tesla will oblige.

That's a good answer except I think it will be the leasing companies who will be delaying rather than Tesla. If you are not leasing and want to take delivery at the end of February I'm sure Tesla will oblige.
I think so too as if private order website still says February delivery as plenty in inventory. But if lease, suspect, like me, (got same text Monday, and just got VIN from Tesla chat yesterday) that either still will be on Glovis Century but delayed due to transporting, registrations, deliveries, and lease companies/new regs..., or maybe Morning Celo as @Cardo suggested. Either way.., not long!!! (Can’t wait!!)

Hi guys, Just to add into the mix; My order is for a RHD M3LR + towbar. I was matched and given a VIN by web chat on Monday 25th. I then received confirmation message on Tuesday morning with delivery scheduled 1st - 10th March.
Do you think there might be anything for us in the March 3rd budget ie reduced VAT in order to promote EV purchase? Might be worth holding out till the 4th, can’t see anything negative to EV owners being in the budget.
PS/ Brilliant info here, thanks to all contributors

Hi guys, Just to add into the mix; My order is for a RHD M3LR + towbar. I was matched and given a VIN by web chat on Monday 25th. I then received confirmation message on Tuesday morning with delivery scheduled 1st - 10th March.
Do you think there might be anything for us in the March 3rd budget ie reduced VAT in order to promote EV purchase? Might be worth holding out till the 4th, can’t see anything negative to EV owners being in the budget.
PS/ Brilliant info here, thanks to all contributors
Interesting you mention about waiting until after the budget, anyone have any info on this? I’m expecting delivery of my LR end of Feb

Last year someone commented on seeing a picture of the vessel carrying his car that it looked a bit of a “rust bucket”. I agreed that the exterior did not look particularly appealing but I explained there was a very good reason for that.
The explanation blends nicely into a long overdue post about the loading of cars onto RoRo’s. This is actually a huge and crucially important subject and so for this post I will confine myself to the cars and how they are loaded.

Prior to loading the car decks will have been cleaned by a sweeping machine, the fire detectors and alarms will have been tested. Lashings will have been inspected and be neatly arranged ready for use. A meeting with the stevedores prior to loading will have established the loading pattern to be adopted for various parts of the deck. There are generally 3 standard patterns: Clockwise for RHD vehicles, anticlockwise for LHD and nose-out for confined areas of the ship. The last vehicle to be loaded in each pattern is the ‘key’ vehicle and is marked as such with a marker board. The key vehicle of each pattern will be the first vehicle in that pattern to be unloaded and is allocated extra space to allow driver access. Clearly all the vehicles in a pattern have to be going to the same destination. (Cars are often parked in similar patterns on the dockside to save space)

The loading is performed by stevedores who do nothing else but drive cars (and trucks, buses, cranes, etc ) on and off ships and at dedicated car handling terminals like Zeebrugge and Shanghai they really are experts. There are strict rules that are to be followed and before each session the stevedores are briefed:
No smoking
No operation of the car’s entertainment system
Customer cars are not to be used for ferrying.
Keys are to be left in ashtray (normally) after loading onboard.
Handbrake is to be applied and manual cars left in a low gear.
Wheels are to be aligned straight ahead and lights are to be off.
All windows to up after parking.
Driver’s door to be left unlocked
Speed limit onboard - usually 20kph.

In addition the stevedoring company itself will have it’s own rules on clothing: Usually a clean, one piece overall often with integral Hi-Viz elements without a belt or exposed buttons that can snag or damage seats and clean soft boots with disposable plastic overshoes. No jewellery. Use of gloves may be required. No smoking, eating, chewing gum etc. There will be strict rules on speeding. Usually the driver's window must be down during the loading process. Drivers will have been trained in the visual signals from marshallers and the audible signals (whistles). There will be a company routine to be followed when parking onboard eg driver gets out and hands keys to marshaller who places the keys in the ashtray and who is responsible for finally shutting the door. Stevedores will be prohibited from leaning on cars, placing elbows on or otherwise unnecessarily touching the cars. The stevedores usually operate in small teams of about 6-10 and have their own minibus shuttle that follows them onboard and then returns them directly to the dock to collect the next bunch of cars. Clearly the more teams that are put on the job the quicker the load or unload will be. It is not a job for casual labour and it will become immediately apparent to the ship’s crew if casual labour is being used. This will inevitably lead to the Master lodging a Letter of Protest against the stevedoring company. Letters of Protest can be lodged for all sorts of reasons: speeding onboard being the most common (Overspeeding is the phrase!), poor parking, improper lashing, etc.

During loading, the ship’s crew will observe for and note any damage prior to loading, whether the cars are covered in dust etc. They will ensure the cars are parked in accordance to the loading plan, and that lashings are being correctly applied. There are strict rules on how close a car can be to fire hoses and water fog nozzles and foam applicators and the ship's crew will ensure that these distances are not encroached.

There are videos on YouTube which show loading/unloading operations taking place and some of them with scenes that are reminiscent of the car chases in the Italian Job! It looks easy and almost carelessly fast but actually it’s just a well planned procedure conducted by well-drilled and disciplined stevedores. As far as Teslas are concerned, the car will be in “transport mode” when it leaves the factory until such time as it is accepted by the Tesla rep at its destination.

transportmode.jpg

So how does this make the ship a rust bucket?
As can be seen, the care of the valuable cargo is uppermost in everybody’s mind. Normally the routine husbandry of a ship dictates that when alongside two or three crew members are allocated the task of repainting or touching-up areas of the ship that require it. New cars and fresh paint are an accident waiting to happen and so ships are normally prohibited from painting when alongside a car dock. Hence the visual appearance of RoRo’s can deteriorate fairly rapidly in comparison to a cruise ship! I got there in the end!

Last edited:
Hi my M3 AWD Max Range is scheduled for 12-22nd Feb, to Germany, which ship would be the one to track on here?

Thanks in advance for your awesome service to the tesla community

Glovis Captain in all probability, expected according to Mr Miserable in Zeebrugge around February 6 ... if it is not on that one, then Horizon Leader.

Your TA should have the name of the boat on which it is on (mine sent me a screen shot showing Horizon Leader - but I asked her to remove the VIN. as I wanted to be delivered a bit later, so mine will be on Grand Ruby or Glovis Companion probably).

Reactions: Mr Miserable
GLOVIS CAPTAIN competition

The results are in!

We didn't have a direct hit in this competition.
At 1200z today the ship was located in Grid Square I4 and within its Minor Square 7

The closest, and therefore the winning, entry was @EricVet (H4 9) who was just 158 nm off target (Distance measured from the centre of the chosen square to the ship's position at midday.

In 2nd place was @nevmann (H4 13)who was a mere 212 nm off target
In 3rd place was @Slaanesh (I3 12) who was 260 nm off target

Congratulations to all, but there isn't so much as even a cuddly toy to win!
You do however win the respect and adoration from all the TMC forum users.
So, @EricVet I am swooning at your feet, Sir.

Some trivia for you:
The most popular GridSquare was L2
The most popular Minor Square overall was 9
If you had chosen that combination, which 2 people did, you would have ended up 1448 nm off target!

If you haven’t already, there is still time to enter the HORIZON LEADER competition. ENTER HERE

Reactions: EricVet
GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues to make good progress on her rhumb line course in her successful bid to avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. She is still maintaining 17 kts. Looking at the weather ahead it looks as though she will continue to avoid the worst of the weather but the seas will be pretty rough all the way to the English Channel. By my calculations she has just over 2100nm to go and is now bang on schedule to make her ETA for Zeebrugge of midday 6 Feb.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER is now off the coast of Nicaragua and is on schedule to arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal late tomorrow.
I said I would look back to her midday position yesterday and check the weather there- it’s blowing 40kts with waves of over 5m in height!
What a difference a day makes! The weather looks fine all the way to the Canal. My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

The HORIZON LEADER competition remains open! ENTER HERE.
The competition will close when the ship enters the Panama Canal.

Horizon Lead Pacific.png

GRAND RUBY continues to load alongside Pier 80 with a departure scheduled for 0400 tomorrow morning. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

GLOVIS COMPANION continues to lurk just off the coast, ready to come in as soon as GRAND RUBY departs. My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

LAKE GENEVA is due to arrive alongside Pier 80 on 10 Feb. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect probably the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 Mar

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She has rounded the southern tip of India and has commenced her crossing of the Arabian Sea. There are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too.
She departed Singapore earlier today and is now racing north through the Straits of Malacca at over 19kts. She is due to arrive in in Suez on 12 Feb and so accordingly I am going bring forward my estimate for her arrival in Southampton to around 21 Feb.

Morn Cello Sin Suez.png

The following 2 ships are both in the South China Sea. I am experiencing difficulty in receiving satellite based position reports from ships in this area at the moment. I have contacted my provider and they are investigating the issue.

GRAND CHOICE She departed Shanghai on Wednesday and is another ship that is on my list of suspects. She is heading initially to Singapore and is due to arrive there on Wednesday There is a suggestion that although this ship is heading for Southampton she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This maybe true and the first indication of this being the case will be when she leaves Singapore and heads for Jeddah. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 deck fulls.

TORONTO is now in the South China Sea. She is due to arrive off Singapore on Friday. TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

• Informative
Reactions: tstolze
The Zeebrugge port schedule is unusually listing most of the ships from Pier 80 this quarter, with the conspicuous absence of LAKE GENEVA.
Although GLOVIS CAPTAIN is on schedule to arrive on 6 Feb, the Zeebrugge port schedule is now showing her as due at 01:00 on 7 Feb.
The schedule appears to have hedged its bets with HORIZON LEADER saying she will arrive on both 14 and 15 Feb. I'm going for the latter at the moment. We are in agreement on GRAND RUBY and GLOVIS COMPANION but are 1 day out on GLOVIS SIRIUS - I say 13 Mar and it says 12 Mar. It's 6 weeks away so I'm happy to adjust my estimate by one day. A question mark remains on LAKE GENEVA though.....

The Zeebrugge port schedule is unusually listing most of the ships from Pier 80 this quarter, with the conspicuous absence of LAKE GENEVA.
Although GLOVIS CAPTAIN is on schedule to arrive on 6 Feb, the Zeebrugge port schedule is now showing her as due at 01:00 on 7 Feb.
The schedule appears to have hedged its bets with HORIZON LEADER saying she will arrive on both 14 and 15 Feb. I'm going for the latter at the moment. We are in agreement on GRAND RUBY and GLOVIS COMPANION but are 1 day out on GLOVIS SIRIUS - I say 13 Mar and it says 12 Mar. It's 6 weeks away so I'm happy to adjust my estimate by one day. A question mark remains on LAKE GENEVA though.....

Mr. Miserable, care to enlighten us on what the location and LLOY DS bit of the port schedule is?

GLOVIS CAPTAIN competition

The results are in!

We didn't have a direct hit in this competition.
At 1200z today the ship was located in Grid Square I4 and within its Minor Square 7

The closest, and therefore the winning, entry was @EricVet (H4 9) who was just 158 nm off target (Distance measured from the centre of the chosen square to the ship's position at midday.

In 2nd place was @nevmann (H4 13)who was a mere 212 nm off target
In 3rd place was @Slaanesh (I3 12) who was 260 nm off target

Congratulations to all, but there isn't so much as even a cuddly toy to win!
You do however win the respect and adoration from all the TMC forum users.
So, @EricVet I am swooning at your feet, Sir.

Some trivia for you:
The most popular GridSquare was L2
The most popular Minor Square overall was 9
If you had chosen that combination, which 2 people did, you would have ended up 1448 nm off target!

If you haven’t already, there is still time to enter the HORIZON LEADER competition. ENTER HERE
Yippee!!!!
Thank you, thank you... :)

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Status
Not open for further replies.