Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has been so exciting - I never thought I'd be so excited stalking a ship until now. New car so close now as it's passing the River Hamble entrance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 10.13.00.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 10.13.00.png
    2 MB · Views: 113
Reactions: geek1975
Hi again, I just got a message from Tesla that the car will be delivered at the end of March. Hate waiting so basically mine is not the one in Horizon Leader. Which one is it then?
Choose any ship coming from San Francisco - they will all arrive in time to deliver to you by the end of March.
GLOVIS SIRIUS will be the last ship and ahead of her is LAKE GENEVA.

GLOVIS CENTURY She is now alongside Southampton unloading the first Chinese made Model 3s for the UK (and I suspect Ireland too).
The challenge ahead for Tesla UK is a big one. Whereas pre-Brexit the UK would get 4 or 5 ships dropping off 800 or so cars at a time it is now going to get a complete shipload dumped in a one'er. The aim must be to get them off the expensive real estate of the dockside as quickly as possible. I expect to see the M3 & A34 chock a block with transporters whisking them away.

GRAND RUBY continues to quickly push further east in an effort to avoid the Atlantic weather approaching her from the north. Unfortunately she can’t miss it completely and tomorrow is when she will find out whether she can maintain her speed or not. Nevertheless the move to the east was a wise one and will be an infinitely better experience than if she had held her original course.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 0600Z on 24 Feb.

Grand Ruby Atlantic.png

The grubby GLOVIS COMPANION continues to make progress across the Caribbean towards the Mona Passage.
The Mona Passage is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the passage it's only about 100m deep.
On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the passage can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 2100Z on 27 Feb.

G Compan Caribbean.png

LAKE GENEVA continues to make steady progress down the Pacific coast of Mexico towards Panama at 18kts. She is currently about 150 NM west of Acapulco. Interestingly the weather forecast is showing that the Tehuantepecer Wind is building and LAKE GENEVA is heading straight toward the area that will be affected by it. It is avoidable and a turn of 10 degrees to starboard now may prevent her enduring winds of over 60kts and 5m high waves. She has still 300 NM to go before she arrives in the area and so it would be prudent to also go max speed now to get clear of the area before it builds too much. In reality however I suspect she will just carry on and blunder on in to it.
I estimate she will arrive off Panama on 21 Feb and transit the canal on the 22 Feb. Her estimate for Zeebrugge is 1900Z on 6 Mar.

Now is a good time to enter the LAKE GENEVA competition. Click HERE

Geneva Pac.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is racing down the coast at over 18kts. She is due alongside Pier 80 at 0300Z on Friday which means she will pitch up around 7pm tonight local time. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Mar.

Last edited:
It's been an absolute eye-opener following this thread and all the info you've given, Mr M!
Never knew ships would interest me so much :)

One thing that still remains unclear for me is how long it takes for the cars to arrive at the SEC from the moment the ship docks.

For example, my car is to be delivered in Ghent, Belgium, which is a mere 50km from the Port of Zeebrugge. My estimated delivery was between 19 february and march 1st. This told me my car is on the horizon Leader, and also matches with the moment I received my VIN which was 1-2 Days after the ship left pier 80.

However, my SEC confirmed they'll only expect the car to be delivered to them the 24th of february, and my delivery is set on the 25th.

It seems such a long time for the cars to unload from the ship and then be delivered to the SEC which is so nearby! Clearly I'm missing something! :)

It's been an absolute eye-opener following this thread and all the info you've given, Mr M!
Never knew ships would interest me so much :)

One thing that still remains unclear for me is how long it takes for the cars to arrive at the SEC from the moment the ship docks.

For example, my car is to be delivered in Ghent, Belgium, which is a mere 50km from the Port of Zeebrugge. My estimated delivery was between 19 february and march 1st. This told me my car is on the horizon Leader, and also matches with the moment I received my VIN which was 1-2 Days after the ship left pier 80.

However, my SEC confirmed they'll only expect the car to be delivered to them the 24th of february, and my delivery is set on the 25th.

It seems such a long time for the cars to unload from the ship and then be delivered to the SEC which is so nearby! Clearly I'm missing something! :)
The trouble is the cars have to be unloaded from the ship, imported into the EU (paperwork) and then the individual cars need to be located and loaded on to a car transporter. It will take time. Zeebrugge are actually very efficient at it.

We have an expression, more haste equals less speed. This old picture illustrates the point well.
EMPOKq0XYAImqjO.jpg-large.jpeg

Wow great thread!! Just noticed it now! From Sweden and ordered a mode 3 performance that was a stock car. Ordered on feb 4 (looked in the design studio and thought about spec a “new” car but landed on a already built for faster delivery, the design studio said late feb) got my vin almost right away the same night. I haven’t got any tracking link to follow my new car :( I have got a delivery date that says 16-25 March (on my Tesla account it says 10-24 March). Which ship would be most likely to carry my car?

Wow great thread!! Just noticed it now! From Sweden and ordered a mode 3 performance that was a stock car. Ordered on feb 4 (looked in the design studio and thought about spec a “new” car but landed on a already built for faster delivery, the design studio said late feb) got my vin almost right away the same night. I haven’t got any tracking link to follow my new car :( I have got a delivery date that says 16-25 March (on my Tesla account it says 10-24 March). Which ship would be most likely to carry my car?
Sounds like GLOVIS COMPANION is the ship for you to watch.

Well that's interesting.
That timing fits with MORNING CAPO. Her departure from Shanghai ties in with a limited RHD production run too. (I thought it was for AUSNZ only)
The only problem is that she's not heading for Southampton unless her schedule has been changed.
We'll have to wait until she is through the Suez Canal next Monday/Tuesday to find out where she is heading, but MORNING CAPO may be back in the frame.
Thanks for posting the information.

UPDATE: I've just checked her schedule and there is no change, she's due in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar.
Hi I have just asked my contact at Tesla for info regarding my M3 LR Blue / black giving him my RN number . I have a collection appointment at Thorpe Park on 15th March . He said my car was on Morning Capo currently just off south of India .

• Informative
Reactions: Mr Miserable
Hi I have just asked my contact at Tesla for info regarding my M3 LR Blue / black giving him my RN number . I have a collection appointment at Thorpe Park on 15th March . He said my car was on Morning Capo currently just off south of India .

This is really helpful. Every time I ask Tesla they tell me it’s not on the ship that’s just arrived but wouldn’t tell me which ship! Keep telling me arrival some time mid to late March without a specific date. This makes sense now. Who was your contact at Tesla? I keep getting fobbed off by them.

GLOVIS CENTURY is currently unloading in Southampton. She is not due to depart until tomorrow lunchtime.

GRAND RUBY is maintaining her push further east in an effort to skirt around the worst of the North Atlantic weather. She is just entering an area of rougher seas and the forecast for the next 48 hours is for much of the same. It will be interesting to see whether she can maintain her current speed of just under 17kts. Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 0600Z on 24 Feb.

Grand Ruby Atlantic.png

The stinking GLOVIS COMPANION has now entered the Atlantic Ocean. It looks as if she has decided not to follow the shortest route across the Atlantic, the great circle track shown in blue, but take a longer more easterly course to avoid the Atlantic weather. This has been the successful strategy adopted by the 3 other ‘Tesla’ ships ahead of her this quarter.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 2100Z on 27 Feb.

Glovis Companion Atlantic Progress.png

LAKE GENEVA The good news about this ship is that she has deliberately stayed well off the coast to avoid the worst of the developing Tehuantepecer Wind that I mentioned yesterday. As a consequence she is only experiencing a 13kt wind as opposed to a 40kt wind which is currently being experienced closer in. The big waves have yet to develop but will do so quickly later today as the wind strengthens by which time LAKE GENEVA will be clear of the area. Nicely avoided!
I estimate she will arrive off Panama on 21 Feb and transit the canal on the 22 Feb. Her estimate for Zeebrugge is 1900Z on 6 Mar.

If you haven’t already, now is a good time to enter the LAKE GENEVA competition. It’s free! ENTER HERE

Geneva Pac.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is now alongside Pier 80 and will commence loading later today.
She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Mar.

MORNING CAPO makes a reappearance on my list. She left Shanghai on 3 Feb, refuelled in Singapore on 9 Feb and is currently enroute to the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive on Monday evening. I’m not receiving satellite derived positions from this ship (nether are any of the other tracking services either) and the last terrestrial position report was on Monday when she was SW of India. I estimate she is about to enter the Red Sea. The puzzling thing about this ship is that I am now very confident that she is carrying RHD Model 3s for the UK but she is heading to Zeebrugge where she is due to arrive on 6 Mar. We shall have to see if her itinerary has changed when she emerges from the Suez Canal next Tuesday.

Capo to Suez.png

Reactions: Mm2021
Status
Not open for further replies.