Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no diference between boats? One with only LR models or something?
boat will arrive 28 may they said. Delivery will be 3th of June
Looking at my daily report, there is only one ship arriving on 28 May and that is the GLOVIS SUN.
On that basis we can assume your SR+ is coming from China. The VIN will start LRW to show that it is Chinese built.
You could also turn the car upside down and see the Made in China stamp there.

A little earlier today, Mrs M has plans for me...

LAKE FUXIAN is now approaching Zeebrugge
She will arrive alongside this afternoon. She is in no rush because the Vandamme lock in Zeebrugge is closed for maintenance this morning.
She is 24 hrs late and I wonder how this will affect any planned crossloading on to other ships eg for Norway?

GLOVIS CHORUS is about 200 NM NNW of Flores in the Azores and is making nearly 18 kts.
With about 1500 NM to go, at her present rate, she will arrive in the early hours of Thursday morning
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is 27 May.

Glov Chorus Atlantic.png

GLOVIS CENTURY is presently off the south coast of Panama making 15kts.
She will arrive off the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal later tonight and I expect her to transit the canal early tomorrow morning.
I will post later today some more information on the Panama Canal and links to webcams etc.
I currently estimate that her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 5 Jun

It's the FINAL CALL for the GLOVIS CENTURY competition ENTER HERE since the competition will close when she enters the Panama Canal.
The winner will be the person who chooses the closest minor square first - so enter now if you haven’t already! It’s easy and free.

GL CENTURY Pac.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS remains alongside Pier 80.
Her departure has been delayed until around 8pm local tonight.
I believe this will be the final ship of the quarter to leave for Europe from Pier 80.
I estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.

GLOVIS SUN is currently off the coast of Algeria and has increased her speed to just over 16kts.
Accordingly, she has amended her ETA in Zeebrugge to arrive in the early afternoon of 28 May
I’m also expecting her to arrive in Southampton around 31 May but I will not be able to confirm that until Wednesday.

SUN Med progress.png

LAKE GENEVA is heading for Suez from Shanghai and should arrive there on Tuesday night.
She is now in the Red Sea and continues to make over 18 kts.
I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 4 Jun

Geneva to Suez.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well.
She is presently maintaining 16kts and is off the SW coast of India.
She is in an area where she is likely to encounter frequent thunderstorms and heavy rain.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

Seems like Lake Fuxian is entering port now at Zeebrugge :)

Hope my LR is on that ship and that the delay of 1 day is kept. I guess the M3's heading from Sweden are transported on trailer after unloading.
I doubt they would be transported by road if there are a large number of cars heading to Sweden. They have been transported to Sweden by rail in the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see them transported by ship either.

GLOVIS CENTURY is presently making her way up the Gulf of Panama and will arrive off the entrance to the Canal later tonight.
She will drop her anchor and wait for her turn to enter the canal. I'm expecting her to be part of tomorrow morning's northbound wave which will set off in the wee small hours (local time).

The first indication of something happening will be the arrival alongside her of a canal pilot. He will board the ship and she will then head up towards the first set of locks, the Miraflores locks. This is the first of a set of two locks which will lift the ship a total of 54ft. After Miraflores the ship will motor the short distance to the second set of locks, the Pedro Miguel Locks which will lift the ship the final 31ft. The ship will now be level with Gatun lake and she can make her way to the final set of locks, the Gatun locks which will then lower the ship 85ft to the Caribbean in 3 stages.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up, a distance of about 10,000 nm the canal offers a mere 51 mile transit. This comes at a big (well into 6 figures USD) price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships being built was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they now allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GLOVIS CENTURY will use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SUN have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can watch the ships going through. The link to the webcams are here (I'm having a problem with the Pedro Miguel camera but the others seem OK) There are plenty of youtube videos and documentaries on the canal, its operation and construction, many of which are very good.

For GLOVIS CENTURY I will expect her to arrive at Miraflores lock around 7 am UK time tomorrow morning.

cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.582713

Thanks to @Mister J for providing the above graphic.

LAKE FUXIAN arrived alongside Zeebrugge yesterday afternoon.

GLOVIS CHORUS continues to make excellent progress and has averaged 18 kts over the last 24 hrs.
She is still on track to arrive in Zeebrugge in the early hours of Thursday morning
She is not yet showing on the Zeebrugge port schedule.

Glov Chorus Atlantic.png

GLOVIS CENTURY is halfway through her transit of the Panama Canal.
The frequent thunderstorms and heavy rain she is experiencing will die out by tomorrow, but the Caribbean will be a little choppy.
I currently estimate that her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 5 Jun

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 to depart Pier 80 for Europe.
As forecasted here, she departed shortly after 8pm local last night enroute to the Panama Canal.
Her ETA for the Canal is 1 June which will mean she needs to get her skates on.
I’m not sure when she is booked to transit the canal and I suspect we may see her ETA updated in the next couple of days.
Weatherwise the only thing of significance is the possibility of some very stormy weather forming off the Mexican coast later in the week. It might be wise to keep the speed up to get south of the Acapulco area as soon as possible
In the meantime she’s making nearly 18kts, which is nice.
I estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.

Standby for the final competition of Q2 which will open for business later today....

Countess Pacific.png

GLOVIS SUN will transit the Straits of Gibraltar later today.
She is currently making 16kts and has unfortunately positioned herself on the south side of the traffic flow.
The Straits are very busy and there is a traffic separation scheme in place which requires westbound traffic to use a narrow corridor in the north side of the channel. Accordingly, she will have to cross the steady stream of eastbound traffic to get into the correct flow. The earlier she does this the easier it will be and truth be told most regular users will get themselves into position 200 NM out, simply because they can.
It also offers them a grandstand view of ships who have left it to the last minute weaving through the opposing traffic to get into position. It’s definitely a spectator sport and you never want to be a participant.
It appears that she will have a bit of a bumpy ride as she heads up the Iberian coast tomorrow but otherwise it looks like the weather will be fine for the remainder of her voyage.
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is 28 May and I’m expecting her to arrive in Southampton around 31 May but I will not be able to confirm that until Wednesday.

SUN Med progress.png

LAKE GENEVA is heading for Suez from Shanghai and should arrive there tomorrow night.
She continues to make over 18 kts as she heads up the Red Sea.
I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 4 Jun

Geneva to Suez.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well.
She is presently maintaining 15kts as she crosses the Arabian Sea
She is in an area where she is likely to encounter frequent thunderstorms and heavy rain. It’ll also be a little choppy until she reaches the Gulf of Aden on Wednesday.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

With GLOVIS COUNTESS heading down the Californian coast, it must be time for the:

GLOVIS COUNTESS competition!

For those who are new here, I do these fun competitions for every ship on the Pier 80 - Zeebrugge run. The idea is to see if you can guess, using your skill and judgement, where the ship will be at the designated time in the future. There is no prize, it's just a bit of fun. You can scroll back in this thread to see previous competitions and results.

All you have to do is decide where GLOVIS COUNTESS will be at Midday UTC on 10 June 2021. She should be in the Atlantic Ocean and I have divided the area into squares. Choose a square (preferably a blue one). Each of those big squares is subdivided into 25 smaller ones and you have to choose one. Click HERE to enter - it's free and easy to enter using your forum username only.

Only one entry per person.
The competition will close as soon as GLOVIS COUNTESS enters the Panama Canal.
There is no prize!
The winner will be the person who chooses the closest small square first.

Just CLICK HERE and give it a go! Simple!

The big squares:

Atlantic Major Squares.png

The minor squares:

Minor Squares.png

GLOVIS CENTURY is now making her way across the Caribbean.
There are basically 2 points where from she could enter the Atlantic, via the Mona Passage or via the Windward Passage.

Caribbean.png

Every ship so far this quarter has elected to use the Mona Passage, however all the indications are that GLOVIS CENTURY has chosen the Windward Passage! Does it matter? It does to those who have entered the GLOVIS CENTURY competition and carefully calculated her future position based on the positions of previous ships this quarter! If she had taken the Mona Passage it would have been a very close competition but this decision has really opened it up!

She has yet to update her AIS with her estimate for Zeebrugge however she is maintaining 18kts, so she is not hanging around, and if she maintains that all the way she could arrive in Zeebrugge on 4 June. Just over a week ago, in my daily report on May 16 I said that we could be looking at a fast Atlantic crossing from her, with her aiming to shave a day off the normal transit time and it looks very much like this is going to be the case.

Reactions: G00NERJ
My LR pearl white was confirmed for delivery at Sweden/Norrköping on the 7/6 today by SMS. Order date 25/4, VIN *953* and most probable was on Lake Fuxian that started unloading on Sunday at Zeebrugge. 👍
I got delivery confirmation of my LR in Gothenburg today as well. I got 4th of June.
I find it a bit odd that it's almost two full work weeks before pickup. Shouldn't take more than a few days from Zeebrügge, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.