Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @Alic01 has supplied an excellent answer regarding the lashings. Also it's worth bearing in mind that Tesla will have stipulated the minimum distance between the cars. This is normally about 40cm. This will be entered on to a computer to calculate the stowage plan. The cars will be parked closely together, observing the minimum distance. This means that the cars are secure in that nobody can enter the cars whilst at sea and has the other advantage that should lashings break in heavy weather the car will be restrained from moving far by its neighbours.
Whilst at sea the vehicle decks are regularly checked for fire and the security of lashings.

The cars are not just parked willy-nilly.
There are 3 systems of parking vehicles on the ship: the 1st is a clockwise system for RHD vehicles the 2nd is anticlockwise for LHD vehicles and the 3rd system is the head-out system where vehicles are parked facing the exit where space is too tight to use the first two methods. You can guess that loading is a longer process than the unloading.
There’s a great free documentary on YouTube (45mins) of the extra large RORO Hoegh Trapper making a journey through the Panama Canal and how the cars and items are secured.. I was sad enough to watch the whole thing in the gym the other day! Quite informative though…

Reactions: Sjefket-nl
Soo I ordered my M3 LR AWD at the begining of this month and there is still no estimated delivery date, tho I found a VIN in the source:
5YJ3E7EBXMF957XXX . Anybody want to make an educated guess with regards to which of the 3 carriers en route from the US its most likely on. I've only received an SMS hinting at medio june.
Pretty sure it’ll be docking in zeebrugge today on Glovis Chorus, based on USA vins and chat confirmations we’ve had..

Moderator comment - If you are wondering why your post seems to have been deleted can I please remind you of...

Moderator comment - please keep this thread specific to shipping movements - there are other threads for discussing VINs, deliveries, test drives, where is my car etc

Posts not related to shipping movements, ie ships that sail the seas, may be deleted without warning and repeat offenders accounts limited.

You may actually find your post in the thread VIN and delivery speculation Please keep VIN and delivery speculation in that thread.
Information relating the inter European vehicle movements can be found in the thread Inter-European Shipping and Deliveries

Last edited:
GLOVIS CHORUS (from Pier 80) is currently approaching Zeebrugge and will arrive alongside this afternoon.

GLOVIS SUN is inbound from Shanghai and has made good progress in the last 24 hrs crossing the Bay of Biscay.
She is currently maintaining over 15kts as she rounds the Brest peninsula and enters the English Channel.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge tomorrow evening and remains scheduled to arrive in Southampton on Monday morning.

SUN Med progress.png

LAKE GENEVA is also heading to Zeebrugge from Shanghai and is now in the Mediterranean and making nearly 17 kts.
The weather in the Mediterranean should remain fine for her.
She will arrive off Zeebrugge late on 3 Jun

GENEVA MED PROGRESS.png

GLOVIS CENTURY is heading to Zeebrugge from Pier 80 and is now in the North Atlantic and appears to be following a great circle course to the English Channel.
She is maintaining about 17.5kts which would mean an arrival in Zeebrugge in the early hours of 5 Jun
Unhelpfully, she has still not updated her AIS with an ETA for Zeebrugge.
At the moment I expect her arrival in Zeebrugge will be on 5 Jun

Century Atlantic.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well.
I haven’t received a position report from her for several days and I suspect it’s a deliberate precaution.
She is due to arrive at Suez on Sunday evening and so she is probably in the Gulf of Aden.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 to depart Pier 80 for Europe.
She is currently about 120 NM west of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
She continues to keep the speed up and is currently maintaining over 17 Kts.
I estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.

The final competition of Q2 is now open. ENTER HERE

Countess Pacific.png

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

Reactions: Roy W.
In the port list of Zeebrugge, the GLOVIS SUN is registered for pier 520 tomorrow. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time
that a Tesla ship has docked there. In Q4/20, the two China ships switched changed the loading pier within the port area once again.
Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what the reason was at that time.
The railway line runs behind Pier 520, so maybe that's a reason, why they unloaded there first?

Greetings from the TFF Forum Germany

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
@Mr Miserable, when can we expect to have an AIS update for CENTURY? It is normal that her AIS has not been updated yet? Thank you for your work!
It's not normal for her not to update her AIS.
We shall either have to wait for a diligent watchkeeper to spot the omission or for another ship to prompt her.
I've just checked just now and it remains out of date.

In the port list of Zeebrugge, the GLOVIS SUN is registered for pier 520 tomorrow. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time
that a Tesla ship has docked there. In Q4/20, the two China ships switched changed the loading pier within the port area once again.
Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what the reason was at that time.
The railway line runs behind Pier 520, so maybe that's a reason, why they unloaded there first?

Greetings from the TFF Forum Germany

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Remember the ship is 24 hrs late. If she had arrived on time where would they have parked her? Not in 520 as LYDDEN is there at the moment.
520 has been used several times before although I don't record that detail.
The swap of piers in Q4 was because TANNHAUSER was a brand new ship and there was a ceremony on the WW pier before she moved across to the ICO pier to unload. I don't recall the other ocassion but at a guess it was probably TOSCANA which unloaded at the ICO pier before moving across to the WW pier to load.

Changing piers is not unusual - it is always preferable to move the ship to the vehicles than vice-versa. It reduces the delivery mileage and lessens the risk of damage.

I'm trying to determine whether Southampton may have received a shipment earlier this week.
I'm not sure how I missed it, if true, but any information would be gratefully received!
This might ring true as Will Fealey just posted a pic of transporters carrying cars north from Southampton on the fb group. I was originally told my car would arrive at Birmingham by 1st June so maybe that timeline fits better than the Glovis Sun delivering on the 31st?

Last edited:
GLOVIS SUN will arrive off Zeebrugge later today - there is no rush since according to the port schedule, she won’t be alongside until the early hours of tomorrow morning.
At the moment she is still scheduled to arrive in Southampton on Monday morning but the bad news is that I’m pretty sure that will move right shortly - I’m thinking at least 24 hours, maybe more…

LAKE GENEVA continues to maintain nearly 17 kts as she crosses the Mediterranean.
There are no weather issues.
She will arrive off Zeebrugge late on 3 Jun - next Thursday

GENEVA MED PROGRESS.png

GLOVIS CENTURY is currently about 160NM SE of Bermuda. (Standby for competition results shortly after Midday UTC!)
You will recall that I expected her to make a fast Atlantic crossing based on her future commitments but although she could make it to Zeebrugge by 4 Jun she seemed resigned to arriving on 5 Jun.
Well something has changed because she is now making well over 18kts which could see her arrive at Zeebrugge around lunchtime on 4 Jun.

Normally this would be welcome news however this could become a logistical nightmare with two ships arriving within 12 hours of each other.
ICO are very efficient but unloading 2 shiploads of Tesla’s concurrently will require an awful lot of expensive quayside real estate .
The unloading of one of these 2 ships could possibly be delayed.

Century Atlantic.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well.
I haven’t received a position report from her since Monday morning and as discussed earlier in the week I suspect it’s a deliberate precaution.
She is due to arrive at Suez on Sunday evening and so by now she will have entered the Red Sea.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 to depart Pier 80 for Europe.
She is currently about 90 NM west of Acapulco, Mexico.
She continues to keep the speed up and is currently maintaining over 17 Kts.
I estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.
Having said that, I still don’t know when to expect her to conduct her transit of the Panama Canal - I suspect she is aiming to transit on Tuesday.
The good news is that although the hurricane season is upon us, it remains very quiet at the moment and there is nothing brewing that should affect her in the next week at least, fingers crossed.

The final competition of Q2 is still open. ENTER HERE

Countess Pacific.png

GLOVIS CENTURY competition.

The results are in!
We didn't have a direct hit in this competition.
At 1200z today the ship was located in Grid Square D4 and within its Minor Square 23

The closest, and therefore the winning, entry was @Daniel69 (D5 9) who was just 121 NM off target. (Distance measured from the centre of the chosen square to the ship's position at midday)
In 2nd place was @Vikor (E5 21) who was a mere 330 NM off target.
In 3rd place was @Dunstan (E5 9) who was 351 NM off target.

Congratulations to all, but there isn't so much as even a cuddly toy to win!

Some trivia for you:
The most popular Major Square was F4
The most popular Minor Square overall was 9
If you had chosen that combination, which three people did, you would have ended up 620 NM off target.

The fact that GLOVIS CENTURY chose to enter the Atlantic via the Windward Passage caught most people out and possibly spoilt what could have been a very close competition indeed.
Almost every minor square in F4 was taken and nobody had chosen even one minor square in D4!
However, let's not detract from the achievement of our winner who would have been even closer if the ship hadn't sped up, so well done @Daniel69 !

The final competition of Q2 will be closing soon.
Enter the GLOVIS COUNTESS competition now - it's free. All you have to do is guess where she will be on 10 June. Simples!

GLOVIS SUN The Southampton port schedule is now showing her arriving at 20:30 on 31 May - which isn't too bad considering.
She is not due to move off until 06:00 on 2 June.
If that time is just spent unloading, that is a lot of cars.
I've had confirmation of delivery of a M3LR for Sat 5th which may fit for that schedule. I assume deliveries come straight from Southampton and there will be a bit of time to go thru a check C&E, DVLA and get the VINs matched to the plates and screwed on

Status
Not open for further replies.