Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't uncommon for vehicles to be damaged in transit before they reach their first owners - most of the time the owner would be unaware as the manufacturer or dealership correct issues before it is handed over.

With Tesla they have less in-country infrastructure to correct these issues so maybe it does explain sudden changes in VIN, and new vehicles suddenly appearing in stock (after a repair has been carried out)?

This is an old article but highlights the issue:

Hi, only source is what the Tesla guy on the phone said. As we can see from the above, some people are being told their ship, while others like myself are told that info can't be shared. From that I don't think we can be 100% sure of anything, even though they're only trying to help.

As for the five, from thousands of vehicles on a ship that doesn't sound impossible and it was what the sales guy offered as a reason for not committing. Who knows! My thought was just to cross fingers and hope all goes well on delivery day.
From day dot they don’t tell you what ship it’s on for security reasons. They are unlikely to tell you the vessel with millions of pounds of vehicles on board.
Those who are told their ship are being told by their SA’s for some reason which shouldn’t/doesn’t happen normally. They’ll say damage just to tell you an excuse not to tell you the vessel name.

It isn't uncommon for vehicles to be damaged in transit before they reach their first owners - most of the time the owner would be unaware as the manufacturer or dealership correct issues before it is handed over.

With Tesla they have less in-country infrastructure to correct these issues so maybe it does explain sudden changes in VIN, and new vehicles suddenly appearing in stock (after a repair has been carried out)?

This is an old article but highlights the issue:
Hi mate

I don’t think someone would be assigned another vehicle on some damage during transit. It would just be fixed and then the customer would be none the wiser. That’s why they have PDI’s and it’s a reason why it passes a brief QC at Southampton before being transported elsewhere to the UK.

change in VINs is usually just to allocate cars to more people who have ordered this quarter

Could be yours was damaged and they have given you a new one, or yours has been given to replace a damaged one and you get one off the next batch as they push the delivery gap further back? Just a thought with a changed VIN.
In was told that this is not uncommon and the reason for that being a logistik issue, not damage… my delivery date was 30.9., now being 23.9.

From day dot they don’t tell you what ship it’s on for security reasons. They are unlikely to tell you the vessel with millions of pounds of vehicles on board.
Those who are told their ship are being told by their SA’s for some reason which shouldn’t/doesn’t happen normally. They’ll say damage just to tell you an excuse not to tell you the vessel name.
That sounds very believable. I'm not very good at the reading between the lines game, so I have no idea what to believe.

One other thing the sales guy said that was interesting was that if it didn't arrive on delivery date it would definitely be by 30th Sep. I guess they're accounting for shipping delays etc. but with allocations so tight it seemed like a bold claim to say *definitely* because I don't think they're going to have spare vehicles if anything goes majorly wrong. I left the call thinking I might just stuck my head in the sand until delivery and hope for the best. Ignorance may be bliss now.

That sounds very believable. I'm not very good at the reading between the lines game, so I have no idea what to believe.

One other thing the sales guy said that was interesting was that if it didn't arrive on delivery date it would definitely be by 30th Sep. I guess they're accounting for shipping delays etc. but with allocations so tight it seemed like a bold claim to say *definitely* because I don't think they're going to have spare vehicles if anything goes majorly wrong. I left the call thinking I might just stuck my head in the sand until delivery and hope for the best. Ignorance may be bliss now.

I am due to collect on 25th Sep, and my car was meant to arrive in the UK today. My SA has said it's not here yet so I think the delays are ships going to Zeebrugge first then Southampton. Watch for my shipping update later on tonight!

This look like a lot of story tellers, as I also said before my SA just told there is no way to know which vessels is, just to know when it arrived or not, or when is the schedule date is confirmed or not... So is hard to know in fact whonisntellingnthe true :). I wish all the luckily colleagues thst had the luck to have the car in the elektra to be able to enjoy it at full, Theben is probably unloading some nice cars as well I hope, grand ruby and glovis splendor at full speed coming :)

For those who already had a fixed date hope they can get their nice cars as promised

For those who already had a fixed date hope they can get their nice cars as promised
I’ve got my fingers crossed. As I’m leasing through my works company car scheme I get even less info.
Last meaningful thing I have was a text on the 24th of Aug saying they would deliver on the 21st. So 7 sleeps left….
I did call the leasing company today and they had the reg plate, dunno if that indicates the car is in the country or not.

Shipping update - 9pm - Tuesday 14th Sep

GRAND RUBY is currently going through the Bay of Biscay/Celtic Sea up past the English Channel to get to Zeebrugge. Her speed is 17.7 knots and her ETA is Thursday 4am. What is interesting is that the departures/arrivals on the Southampton VTS site shows GRAND RUBY departing Southampton on 18th Sep at 5pm to head to Zeebrugge.. It also states it will arrive in Southampton on the 18th at 6.30am. Surely she cannot go to Zeebrugge, Southampton, Zeebrugge again? We will be keeping a close eye on this.

Nb: this link does not show any other vessels below yet coming in or leaving Southampton. Hopefully this will change!

NEPTUNE KOPER is about to transition through the Suez Canal before heading to Koper in Slovenia. It will be interesting to see her location after.

SFL CONDUCTOR is still in Holland and has not moved. There is no further update to this vessel at the moment and we will remove this from the next update unless there is any change.

ELEKTRA is still moored at Southampton, where she has been very busy today unloading Tesla's. They will be inspected (PDI'd) at Southampton before being sent to various Tesla SC's across the UK.

TRITON ACE is now about to dock at Koper. She will unload Tesla's before the next location becomes more clear.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR is heading past Morocco now, with ETA Zeebrugge 18 September 6am.

DIONYSOS LEADER has left Livorno pretty rapidly and is now heading to Casblanca in Morocco! To all of our North African friends - enjoy your vehicles when you get them!

THEBEN - the vessel who sailed alongside ELEKTRA for the full journey, is now moored at Zeebrugge. Tomorrow her location will become more clear.

Tesla Carriers Map

Reactions: StuBee
There are still at least 3 ships expected to arrive in Southampton in the next week.
Which are???? None of the vessels listed above are shown on the Southampton port schedule up to and including Sept 19th. This leaves 11 days of the quarter which is an average Tesla delivery time, yes some will be delivered faster, especially if collecting from the docks. A ship would need to be in port on either 20th or 21st for Tesla to have a hope of delivering all cars before quarter end, therefore there is no chance 3 ships are coming and it's extremely unlikely even one is. It's not just getting them here, it's the transporters moving them about.

Last edited:
A ship would need to be in port on either 20th or 21st for Tesla to have a hope of delivering all cars before quarter end, therefore there is no chance 3 ships are coming and it's extremely unlikely even one is.
People are being told their vehicles will arrive in the UK on 23/24 by SAs to be collected 2 or 3 days later. This quarter may be different to previous ones where more than just a hundred or so vehicles slip over into the next month / they may have only allocated the vast majority of vehicles to orders that are to be collected from Southampton.

Certainly will all M3s for Europe coming from China, as well as thousands of MY vehicles, the logistics have certainly been different this quarter already.

Which are???? None of the vessels listed above are shown on the Southampton port schedule up to and including Sept 19th. This leaves 11 days of the quarter which is an average Tesla delivery time, yes some will be delivered faster, especially if collecting from the docks. A ship would need to be in port on either 20th or 21st for Tesla to have a hope of delivering all cars before quarter end, therefore there is no chance 3 ships are coming and it's extremely unlikely even one is. It's not just getting them here, it's the transporters moving them about.

GRAND RUBY is on the schedule for 18th. I do expect GLOVIS SPLENDOR to appear in a couple of days as it was mentioned to me before it had even docked at Shanghai.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
The vessels will show in time on the Southampton port schedule. If you read back a few pages you will see @Zill mentions they may go to Zeebrugge first then back to Southampton.

you seem in a panic.. when’s your eta?

Status
Not open for further replies.