Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 vs 2022 ms lr what is this difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a used 2021 ms lr (refreshed) for 65k on tesla website. i don't see a lot of 2022s so not sure what is the difference between these years... also, is 65k a good price point for the 2021 model? I saw on KBB that the range falls around that price.

i was thinking same, new MSLR vs 2021.
2021 is around $65k with extra year warranty from Tesla.
But then i did my calculation.

New MS (now it will be 2024 year) is $74k.
$10k more then 2021 model.
But with 2023/24 you get new car, 0 miles, 4 years warranty and most important thing for me - all new tech.
Resale value (being 2024 or 2023) will be much higher then those $10k that i will be saving with 2021 model.

With 2021 model you will get car with probably 20-30k miles, possibly with issues from previous owner, your warranty will be only 2 years remaining, "old tech", .... And all this to save $10k that you will lose anyway one day when you decide to sell it vs 2023/24 model

I decided to go with new one

Or imagine your self owning MS 2021 right now.
Your car is 2-3 year old, 30k miles, older tech, no new upgrades, 1-2 years warranty remaining ,and Carmax is giving you $47k for trade in.

Then someone comes to you saying "give me your car ,$10k and i will give you brand new MS with any exterior color you want.
What you would do?

Or imagine your self owning MS 2021 right now.
Your car is 2-3 year old, 30k miles, older tech, no new upgrades, 1-2 years warranty remaining ,and Carmax is giving you $47k for trade in.

Then someone comes to you saying "give me your car ,$10k and i will give you brand new MS with any exterior color you want.
What you would do?
I agree with the new choice with the current prices but there are and will be new upgrades. Even older cars get upgrades all the time. .

thanks for your input! What's the new tech that is substantial on 2023 that 2021 doesn't have? If I am gonna spend another 10k then I might get a used plaid. :p
Pros- Tilting screen, matrix lights, new taillights, new roof tint, larger rear screen, Steam, HW4 cameras and computer
Cons- No USS

The 2023 is future proofed and will get more upgrades longer due to HW4. At 10k difference, it seems like a no brainer for the extra warranty, even if those upgrades aren't worth it.