Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.24.6 and Spotify on standard connectivity in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point, "entitled" is too strong a word.

I do think however that people are perhaps not being quite honest with themselves about expectations re: getting Spotify for free just by tethering a phone, or getting Premium Connectivity for free in perpetuity when everyone else had to pay for it, etc.

I would also say that Tesla took a long time - more than a year I think - to address having no way of billing lease customers for Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: Tonyf and Matt125
No offence, but why do you feel entitled to the use of a Spotify account just from hotspotting your phone to the car, when everyone else has to actually pay for a Spotify account separately?

People on leases had free Premium Connectivity for months (years?) before they finally addressed it. This is no different. You had the benefit of something you weren't entitled to for however many months, and that loophole has now been closed. It was good while it lasted but that's as far as it goes really.
No offence, but everyone didn't need to pay for a Spotify account previously as it worked using the vehicle account for nothing.
Yes if you wanted to download your own playlists then you would need a paid account, but for most people, the free offering was good enough.
This has now been removed, it wasn't a loophole.

No offence, but everyone didn't need to pay for a Spotify account previously as it worked using the vehicle account for nothing.
Yes if you wanted to download your own playlists then you would need a paid account, but for most people, the free offering was good enough.
This has now been removed, it wasn't a loophole.
It's only been removed for those who wish to avoid paying for Tesla Premium Connectivity. AFAIK music/video streaming was always intended to be a Premium only feature and advertised that way by Tesla. The previous hotspot workaround was never really supported or promoted by Tesla and I'm not surprised if they have shut it down since streaming is one of the main reasons anyone would consider the Premium option. For £9.99 a month I don't even think about it.

Quite a few features are included without extra charge in the large up front purchase price of the car. Some obvious examples: standard connectivity and Google map data. I very much feel 'entitled' to use them as they were used to promote the car to me. Using Spotify with tethering in this way was an included feature which has now been removed though it wasn't explicitly advertised.

We could debate whether Tesla intended that feature or whether it was a loophole. Given the extreme attention to detail in the software it seems very unlikely to me that Tesla totally failed to notice this way of using Spotify and it's more likely a cost saving change.

I stopped using Spotify due to the fact that for years there was often a delay in getting the music to play with a loading bug, either due to internet connectivity/disconnecting from home wifi or similar.

Tidal is far superior and has the ability to download to the car, combined with hotspot I can have music straight away.

Last edited:
From what I can tell they usually do it when it’s a software bug. Doesn’t explain why some have it and others don’t, it’s a shame Tesla don’t explain it so at least you know, if that is indeed the cause.
I presume you mean losing Tesla Spotify access due to a software bug? I did historically have connectivity issues with our MX on specific software releases (it was really bad around 2019), but it's been pretty solid in our M3 and MY cars.

But anyway I'm 100% sure you are supposed to get free access to the Tesla Spotify account with PC. That's been the case for me now across 4 different cars.

I presume you mean losing Tesla Spotify access due to a software bug? I did historically have connectivity issues with our MX on specific software releases (it was really bad around 2019), but it's been pretty solid in our M3 and MY cars.

But anyway I'm 100% sure you are supposed to get free access to the Tesla Spotify account with PC. That's been the case for me now across 4 different cars.
It was more a general comment, if it's not your car as such, then there is nothing they can do so no point booking you in. So if they think the Spotify issue is a common software one, then they'll just bounce them all and it will be fixed in good time. It does sometimes amaze me how software issues might not appear on all cars.

A few years ago I was involved in work to data mine reported issues and eventual faults on cars for a German brand. People report symptoms, they don't report causes as such, and of course to fix something you need to know the cause. If Tesla applied some of their AI logic to what people write into app, and they start to spot patterns across models/regions/hardware versions/software versions etc they'd pretty quickly pick up on software bugs. It's not perfect, but it should flush out a good proportion of the "it's not your car, its the software we just gave you".

It was more a general comment, if it's not your car as such, then there is nothing they can do so no point booking you in. So if they think the Spotify issue is a common software one, then they'll just bounce them all and it will be fixed in good time. It does sometimes amaze me how software issues might not appear on all cars.

A few years ago I was involved in work to data mine reported issues and eventual faults on cars for a German brand. People report symptoms, they don't report causes as such, and of course to fix something you need to know the cause. If Tesla applied some of their AI logic to what people write into app, and they start to spot patterns across models/regions/hardware versions/software versions etc they'd pretty quickly pick up on software bugs. It's not perfect, but it should flush out a good proportion of the "it's not your car, its the software we just gave you".
Yes I agree and also find it very strange that Tesla software bugs can affect nominally identical cars in different ways!

But this is quite different to Tesla Leeds telling someone a load of BS that the free Tesla Spotify account is NOT included with PC!

Yes I agree and also find it very strange that Tesla software bugs can affect nominally identical cars in different ways!

But this is quite different to Tesla Leeds telling someone a load of BS that the free Tesla Spotify account is NOT included with PC!
It is included with PC, mine did throw a wobbly when my trial expired and wouldn't allow me to select the car account.
This was remedied with a reboot.

I think all service centres have a book of excuses they work through irrespective of the actual problem, but I hadn’t clocked that one. I think I’d be asking so what do you have to do to get the free account

I've just signed up to Premium ( had it free for ages) but still can't get the use vehicle account to work - it also this account will be used when profile xxxxxxxxxxx is active?
Any thoughts?
Reboot?

As an aside, I had always understood that the Tesla Spotify account was only ever supposed to be for premium connectivity subscribers, and that you could only ever sign into it if you had premium connectivity - but, that there was a longstanding bug that essentially meant that once you'd signed into it with premium connectivity, the car stayed signed in to it after your premium connectivity expired until/unless you signed out.

The "advantage" of the absurdly high pricing of Ionity charging is that it automatically reduces pressure on their small number of stalls. Only people who really need rapid charging are going to use them. Making them free may be shooting themselves in the foot. A non EV owner seeing a stack of cars queuing to get a charge is just going to confirm their worst fears.

Is this new? I called at one off the A55 in August.

Looks like I'll be switching to standard variable, as the new GoElectric is fixed until March 2024 (with a £100 exit fee).
For me (weekend and evenings cheap rate), the standing charge is 32.99p/kWh / day 38.85p / kWh / night 16.75p / kWh.
Standard variable is standing charge 25.75 p/kWh and 25.02p / kWh (they mention night at 13.5p/kWh, but I think that is only if you can get Economy 7).
Personally I will wait on standard variable until March next year... and/or get solar panels and a battery for summer next year ;)
Not at all keen on locking these new rates until 2024...

Thanks for that. So they claim not to have received any gen 2 gear which is worrying as they said they'd ordered mine several months ago. Theoretically they're a GivEnergy "platinum" installer so if they're struggling it doesn't bode well. In for the long haul I guess.

I think @Avendit mentioned this in an earlier post. IIRC he dropped the size of his inverters precisely to get more power in less sunny conditions.

Looks like a nice balanced system, at a good price. Can't comment on the components I'm afraid, but 410w modules is pretty sweet these days.

If you do battery only, you will max save the price difference between 5kw of full price and off peak prices per day only. I guess if you use less than 5kw in 20 hours that could work?

Unfortunately everyone has to do their own man maths. I tried to gather all mine into this post of it helps:

If your roof isn't too steeply sloped and both sides will get sun at the same time, you could end up clipping a bit of the time. Check how many hours that might run to and decide if it matters enough to get DNO permission to go up a size of inverter.

Do you get an error message?

Not sure if related but today my Spotify on premium stopped working. Had to do choose vehicle account again and accept new terms and conditions then it worked again.

Reboot?

As an aside, I had always understood that the Tesla Spotify account was only ever supposed to be for premium connectivity subscribers, and that you could only ever sign into it if you had premium connectivity - but, that there was a longstanding bug that essentially meant that once you'd signed into it with premium connectivity, the car stayed signed in to it after your premium connectivity expired until/unless you signed out.

We'll need a bit more info from the OP before we diagnose the issue.
Thanks for the replies, I've tried both soft and hard reboot, accepted the new terms but goes back to the sign in page, and as said previously signed back up for premium connectivity and still no luck?