Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 LR max range drop to 354 [in the UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve read through a few threads but can’t find the exact scenario.

Basically about 3-4 weeks about my max range dropped from 374 to 354. I’ve check the tyre settings and they are correct (18in aero). I’ve getting good/consistent miles per kWh at about 4.5 - 5. I just can’t explain why the max range is now 20 miles less than it was a month ago. Software is fully up to date and im wondering if anyone else has noticed in their 2022 M3LR with aero wheels.

Thanks

If I had to guess (and I am in the US so dont know this for a fact), my guess would be that the original RATED range of 374 was WLTP range, while the 354 range displayed is based on US range.

Neither one of those is accurate as to how far you can drive, but the WLTP range is even less accurate than the US rated range of this car.

I would ask this question in the UK subforum though to see if anyone else in that part of the world experienced that. I seem to remember people talking about cars showing US range vs WLTP but im not in that part of the world so that would have been something I possibly read in passing.

Reactions: DeejUK
Have you tried travelling that amount of distance to see how far you actually can go? You’ll probably find that the answer to that is less than 354 as well.

My advice is that unless you are doing 300 mile drives regularly then too simply change the battery display to percentage, stop reading “degradation calculator” graphs, etc and just enjoy the car. It has an 8 year battery warranty so you have plenty of time to query any issue in the future.

Are you saying your displayed range when charging/next to battery has now reduced or when using the car your calculations for what you could drive has changed?

If the former, this could be just BMS calibration drift and/or cells becoming out of balance. There are a few simple steps to help reverse this

I’m assuming you’re not going off the rated figure because as mentioned, the car reports the US rated range using EPA which is down a little on the WLTP figure we use here and is in the marketing.

Showing % would mean you’re unaware of calibration drift and the cells becoming unbalanced, or other degradation, something you’d benefit from knowing. The suggestion is like saying the answer to high blood pressure is to stop measuring it.

If it’s the range in use, I suspect it’s just down to changes in the weather. Only the recent energy consumption/trip consumption screen shows range that can vary with driving style, elevation changes etc. everywhere else it’s fixed wh/m.

Have you tried travelling that amount of distance to see how far you actually can go? You’ll probably find that the answer to that is less than 354 as well.

My advice is that unless you are doing 300 mile drives regularly then too simply change the battery display to percentage, stop reading “degradation calculator” graphs, etc and just enjoy the car. It has an 8 year battery warranty so you have plenty of time to query any issue in the future.
Hi. Thanks. I’m getting more than 354 miles that isn’t my concern. My concern is that the car at any charge percentage (calculated up) or weather conditions states that the max range is now 354 down from 374. So if I come to sell the vehicle anyone will look at that and think that it’s lost range/total capacity.

My query (to UK drivers) as I’m not sure if the US models are exactly the same. Is have they noticed a change in their max range since the weather range update?

Reactions: Durzel
Are you saying your displayed range when charging/next to battery has now reduced or when using the car your calculations for what you could drive has changed?

If the former, this could be just BMS calibration drift and/or cells becoming out of balance. There are a few simple steps to help reverse this

I’m assuming you’re not going off the rated figure because as mentioned, the car reports the US rated range using EPA which is down a little on the WLTP figure we use here and is in the marketing.

Showing % would mean you’re unaware of calibration drift and the cells becoming unbalanced, or other degradation, something you’d benefit from knowing. The suggestion is like saying the answer to high blood pressure is to stop measuring it.

If it’s the range in use, I suspect it’s just down to changes in the weather. Only the recent energy consumption/trip consumption screen shows range that can vary with driving style, elevation changes etc. everywhere else it’s fixed wh/m.
Hi. Is that a month ago it stated 374 max range and then overnight it changed to 352-354. I very rarely supercharge, I keep the battery at 60-80%, I don’t charge immediately after driving. I do all the “good” things to keep the battery calibrated. I have a total average watts per mile of 249.

On a recent long drive I averaged 162 watts per mile due to traffic. So I know I can get more than 354 out of it (that isn’t my problem)

Reactions: Fat Wolfie
Hi. Is that a month ago it stated 374 max range and then overnight it changed to 352-354. I very rarely supercharge, I keep the battery at 60-80%, I don’t charge immediately after driving. I do all the “good” things to keep the battery calibrated. I have a total average watts per mile of 249.

On a recent long drive I averaged 162 watts per mile due to traffic. So I know I can get more than 354 out of it (that isn’t my problem)
If you saw 374, then thats the WLTP figure (which historically they don't show). And if its now shoiwng the 353, then thats the EPA figure which is what they usually show. It's too much of a coincidence to change from almost exactly the WLTP figure to the almost exactly the EPA figure for it not to be that in my mind. Did you have a software update between the two?

If you saw 374, then thats the WLTP figure (which historically they don't show). And if its now shoiwng the 353, then thats the EPA figure which is what they usually show. It's too much of a coincidence to change from almost exactly the WLTP figure to the almost exactly the EPA figure for it not to be that in my mind. Did you have a software update between the two?
Yes, it was the weather range update (even though the max range doesn’t change in different weather conditions). I’m just wondering if that has happened to other people and what their max range now shows on their 2022 M3LR?

Don't worry about it, it fluctuates based on a number of factors including weather, temperature, journey type... even down to software updates and they have just added more factors. This is a report of estimated range on my car from teslafi.

Attachments

• 42EEE4F7-07F1-4410-9036-4A80E770898B.jpeg
    42EEE4F7-07F1-4410-9036-4A80E770898B.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: fantasmagorica
Don't worry about it, it fluctuates based on a number of factors including weather, temperature, journey type... even down to software updates and they have just added more factors. This is a report of estimated range on my car from teslafi.
Thanks but that’s my point. The max range doesn’t fluctuate based on weather, temperature and is without programming in a route. It just dropped from 374 to 354(ish) a month ago. I get that when programming a route then the route range is variable based on the above conditions.

Are you sure you ever saw 374 miles in the car? 374 is the WLTP range of the Model 3, you can see it on the website. The car never uses WLTP in it's range calculations, but instead uses EPA range, which is more like 354.

I have had a 22 LR Model 3 since end of June, always used %age but my TeslaFi set up shows the range being consistant enough at 354-356 over 2K miles.

1661504944741.png

Attachments

• 1661504899757.png
    1661504899757.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 58
I can/do though if I want to get good range out of it. I got over 417 miles to a single charge 2 weeks ago, going down to 2% battery, I don’t like going that low but the nearest supercharger would have given me a 30 mile detour to my route.
Do you drive everywhere at 15mph cos over 400 miles is not what you can get out of a model 3, maybe if you just popped to the shops over a month with one charge, but not on a journey

Thanks but that’s my point. The max range doesn’t fluctuate based on weather, temperature and is without programming in a route. It just dropped from 374 to 354(ish) a month ago. I get that when programming a route then the route range is variable based on the above conditions.
I can only comment on mine but that graph/teslafi has always tallied up to what the car/app show when set to 100% at that time, maybe the newer models calculate it differently. As another example of influences if I've not charged to 100% for a while and do a full charge, the range can go up by 5-10 miles, not sure if it recalibrates the BMS when you do it?

Do you drive everywhere at 15mph cos over 400 miles is not what you can get out of a model 3, maybe if you just popped to the shops over a month with one charge, but not on a journey
I think it's more likely to be slower speeds, I always find short journeys kills the range as so much of the battery is used to warn everything up to optimal temperature (I think that's the reason anyway!)