Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X estimated range drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a post on this subject, but has anyone heard any news on the model x and model x long range? We are expecting delivery in Jan of a "long range" version. I saw the range estimation was lowered on the online configurator, and it now just says model x and the long range version isn't there. It was already disappointing that the 2022 had a little less range. Now it's even lower. Could three options be in the works for the model x? Hoping for a long range added back in with even more range than before. Thoughts?

I couldn't find a post on this subject, but has anyone heard any news on the model x and model x long range? We are expecting delivery in Jan of a "long range" version. I saw the range estimation was lowered on the online configurator, and it now just says model x and the long range version isn't there. It was already disappointing that the 2022 had a little less range. Now it's even lower. Could three options be in the works for the model x? Hoping for a long range added back in with even more range than before. Thoughts?
If you are in the configurator check the tire size selected. Supposedly it now defaults to 22" inch which reduces range and costs extra. If so, change it to 20" and the range goes back up.

I couldn't find a post on this subject, but has anyone heard any news on the model x and model x long range? We are expecting delivery in Jan of a "long range" version. I saw the range estimation was lowered on the online configurator, and it now just says model x and the long range version isn't there. It was already disappointing that the 2022 had a little less range. Now it's even lower. Could three options be in the works for the model x? Hoping for a long range added back in with even more range than before. Thoughts?\
Tesla now only makes two versions. X and X Plaid. They stopped using the Long Range descriptor, a while back, because other than Performance (which is no longer available) they were all "Long Range." You can read in to that, what you want. Maybe in the future they will add a long(er) range option. But who really knows?

If you are in the configurator check the tire size selected. Supposedly it now defaults to 22" inch which reduces range and costs extra. If so, change it to 20" and the range goes back up.
Thanks - that's probably what's happened. Still holding hope for more range to be added - at least what the 2020 version has. An extra 20 or 30 miles comes in handy when you you travel.

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Tesla now only makes two versions. X and X Plaid. They stopped using the Long Range descriptor, a while back, because other than Performance (which is no longer available) they were all "Long Range." You can read in to that, what you want. Maybe in the future they will add a long(er) range option. But who really knows?
Thanks for the info. Online configurator has had a lot of changes. Hard to keep up.

Thanks - that's probably what's happened. Still holding hope for more range to be added - at least what the 2020 version has. An extra 20 or 30 miles comes in handy when you you travel.
If 20 to 30 miles will matter when you have to travel you are doing it wrong in an EV. It is better to run then down to 10% or less and then charge to 70% and go. That will reduce the overall time you spend charging since the charging rates start slowing above 50-60% and really slows above 80%.

If 20 to 30 miles will matter when you have to travel you are doing it wrong in an EV. It is better to run then down to 10% or less and then charge to 70% and go. That will reduce the overall time you spend charging since the charging rates start slowing above 50-60% and really slows above 80%.
Thanks for the info - yeah that makes sense. That's what I do in our model 3. We only full charge when we go on a trip. I have one place I travel to that is just a little too far to get to without charging before we arrive. Extra 20 mile range cushion would take the worry out of that.

Thanks for the info - yeah that makes sense. That's what I do in our model 3. We only full charge when we go on a trip. I have one place I travel to that is just a little too far to get to without charging before we arrive. Extra 20 mile range cushion would take the worry out of that.
If you slow down 5 mph on a max range trip you can get 20 extra miles. The X is a big car and is pushing a lot of air out the way.

that's all fine and good, until you arrive at your destination and you want to make pleasing haste for the untoward activities hammer down-- wait Argh(*(^^))%( gotta charge first. Some travelers like to get to where your going, but quick. Last thing I want to do at destination is think of where to charge. You hear me? Last thing I want to do at destination is think of where to charge. I hate that!!!!!! I want that bad ass muth fluck veggie burger, ceviche! and the art shops first!! Ski double black. Taste some Napa red. Invade the gnats (Giants) stadium. Play in the snow. Play in the surf. Joshua. Take that big-ass redwood walk, 100 elephant seals to check out-- right now!!! Need to be able to have a comfy 30% once you hit your destination. Then destination charge while you sleep, which is like uhhh, the band, uhhh, nirvana. More range makes it much easier, at least to the places I go for weekends in California-- both summer and winter. Remember we only have 2 seasons in California. Range. Range range range. Range. Wait, thats 5.

Curious, how low do you go? on energy, I mean. I’ve seen 10% and 15%. If you set it at one number, I assume you can keep driving to 0%. But let’s say. We want to continue tooling along at 65mph, what do most consider “safe margin.” I’ll be going to a home charger with nothing for miles and miles…..

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Curious, how low do you go? on energy, I mean. I’ve seen 10% and 15%. If you set it at one number, I assume you can keep driving to 0%. But let’s say. We want to continue tooling along at 65mph, what do most consider “safe margin.” I’ll be going to a home charger with nothing for miles and miles…..
I am comfortable with 10%. The nav system in the Tesla is pretty accurate. For me, the estimates have always been within a percent or two.

On trips where the range is questionable, I insert my destination and start driving. Along the way, I adjust my speed to get me there within my comfort margin.

I am comfortable with 10%. The nav system in the Tesla is pretty accurate. For me, the estimates have always been within a percent or two.

On trips where the range is questionable, I insert my destination and start driving. Along the way, I adjust my speed to get me there within my comfort margin.
Same here. If I want to stretch it, I can deal with the Nav saying 0 upon arrival, and I can easily adjust my speed just as you, to have that number go up to 4 or 5 by the time I get there. Of course since we have the biggest batteries, we'll have at least 20 miles of range after we hit zero. So its all extra buffer.

Same here. If I want to stretch it, I can deal with the Nav saying 0 upon arrival, and I can easily adjust my speed just as you, to have that number go up to 4 or 5 by the time I get there. Of course since we have the biggest batteries, we'll have at least 20 miles of range after we hit zero. So its all extra buffer.

To quote Clint Eastwood: Do you feel lucky? 😎

I have kind of two numbers I work with. When I am traveling and jumping from one Supercharger to the next, I want to have the Nav estimate showing arrival between 15-20% at least before leaving. Then as I am driving, I can tune that by managing my speed as @jboy210 mentioned. So then my minimum is I will do what I need to to make sure not to go below 10% until I am very close to the destination.

I am disappointed in myself. Left KCMO on Friday with 72% of battery and 234 miles to go headed east to STL with a crosswind but otherwise great conditions. Nav said I would have made it at 0-1% if I had been conservative.

But I just can't break my old habits of not wanting to be dead meat in the right lane while people hem me in during merges etc., so I set the cruise at 80 (and was still getting passed a ton, yeesh) and stopped for 10 min to charge at a V2 with 27% to about 45% (150kw the whole way except for the last 4% at about 135-140) and about 100 miles to go. Continued driving as quickly as the left lane would allow and arrived at home with 14% left, could have been a 5min stop. It was still faster to go fast and stop than go slow and not stop, btw. Numerous re-passes of semis going the speed I would have had to go and/or draft behind to make it with 1-2%.

At 16,500 miles, my LR+ now displays around 360-365 "max" range on the slider. It was once as high as 374. Clearly the car is ruined and I would never consider a car with 359 miles of range, or, heaven forfend, 330 ;)

At 16,500 miles, my LR+ now displays around 360-365 "max" range on the slider. It was once as high as 374. Clearly the car is ruined and I would never consider a car with 359 miles of range, or, heaven forfend, 330 ;)
Anything less than 330 goes to the garbage dump for sure lol. Isn't it nice though to have a car that has more range than the one that replaces it?

It doesn't though. Not in the real world. In the real world on a road trip it has 3% more battery left when they both get to the first supercharger, which is the same one, because superchargers are more than 3% worth of range apart, and then gets left in the dust when the refresh car can leave 10 minutes sooner

Reactions: DelPhonic1
It doesn't though. Not in the real world. In the real world on a road trip it has 3% more battery left when they both get to the first supercharger, which is the same one, because superchargers are more than 3% worth of range apart, and then gets left in the dust when the refresh car can leave 10 minutes sooner

Oh, and on a related note, I did the exact same trip I did above but in 30 degree temps instead of 70 degree temps yesterday and had to charge a whole extra 15 minutes the horror I almost ran out of doomscrolling material