Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MS Refresh Front Dash Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently started hearing rattles near the front dash / left A pillar corner of the 2022 model S refresh.

Doesn’t occur on smooth roads but quite noticeable on bumpier roads, especially at slower speeds.

Uploaded a video for reference. Anyone had a similar issue/solve? Sounds like either the vegan leather rubbing against the door or a loose wire inside (?). Not sure if it’s because the weather has been cold that’s causing it.

Yes I have this. Service verified all components underneath were secured and tried to adjust the dash pad. Still have the issue. I think its just poor design at this point. The car rides pretty rough and there are joints where different components meet that lack foam/padding. Hope you find a solution!

• Informative
Reactions: leonwu
Yes I have this. Service verified all components underneath were secured and tried to adjust the dash pad. Still have the issue. I think its just poor design at this point. The car rides pretty rough and there are joints where different components meet that lack foam/padding. Hope you find a solution!
Thanks. I agree the ride is stiffer, but I wonder what caused it after 1500 miles. I swear it wasn’t apparent before… I booked an appointment for a month from now to see if it goes away at all as it gets warmer. But I hear you in the different components meeting, I was pushing on the panels and can replicate similar squeaky/rattling sounds.

Reactions: Nickos
the whine sounds loud to me in this video. Does that whine bother you in person?

I think it could be an easy fix to add some insulation under the dashboard to get rid of the rattle.
I don’t know where the insulation would go though. The vegan leather is like sewn on to the panels. Short of lifting up the wood trim, I don’t think I can get to many things under.

I actually like the humming sound, I think it’s their PWS. Coming from an ICE, I feel like this is the “engine” sound of an electric car :) also it was below freezing so I’m not sure if that changes the sound at all.
Welcome to the club ;)

Haha it looks like we have the same noise. I get a few squeaks in the rattles every once in a while too haha. Guess you had no luck making it go away?

I have the exact same rattle and also have one coming from the driver side door trim. Plus a whistle from the rear at highway speeds. All this plus the motor/regen whine cause quite an annoying vehicle at times. I thought buying an EV vehicle was going to create a serene quiet ride, but so far is the opposite unfortunately. The car is great, but Tesla still has obvious quality control issues going on. Note: 3200 miles on the car so far.

Have same front left dash rattle. Been like that since I got it and have 2000 miles now. I have a service appointment this Friday and will see if they're able to fix it. I can push on it and it stops so it probably just needs a little pad in there but not sure if they're able to put any thing anywhere.

I also have the whistle noise from the rear (believe passenger door/window area) at speeds of 75mph+.

Have same front left dash rattle. Been like that since I got it and have 2000 miles now. I have a service appointment this Friday and will see if they're able to fix it. I can push on it and it stops so it probably just needs a little pad in there but not sure if they're able to put any thing anywhere.

I also have the whistle noise from the rear (believe passenger door/window area) at speeds of 75mph+.
Keep us posted, if it works, I’m going to piggy back off your resolution :)

Watching this thread. Mine started at about 2800 miles. Only on not smooth roads. I'd call it a creaking sound and it's as if something is either too tight or too loose. I can replicate it by pushing on the front of the drivers door by the pillar as I'm driving or even stop it by doing the same. I can't find any signs of rubbing or wear on any visible moulding or trim. I did notice when I apply pressure to the side mirrors, I can hear it as well, but when I'm driving, it doesn't really sound like it's coming from the side mirror.

It is maddening.

Keep us posted, if it works, I’m going to piggy back off your resolution :)
No luck. Of course it didn't rattle for them so they couldn't hear it and diagnose. They went ahead and checked all the clips and stuff and now I think there is a new worse noise. 🙄. I almost think you're better off not having them mess with things because they'll make it worse or mess something else up.

So one thing I noticed is that the metal vent/speaker cover thing across the windshield (right in your front field of view under the windshield) is popped up on the left A pillar but sits under the A pillar alcantara trim on the right side.

I tried to push it down and there is some give, along with pushing the A pillar cover towards the outside a bit. I wonder if somehow getting the metal cover to snap under the A pillar trim will help, as it will keep the contents within and the contact points tighter.

The fact that many people here reporting the rattles started after a X distance driven, I wonder if it’s some of these contact joints vibrating from roads and getting out of their intended joint positions.

Reactions: kazamm and Pdubs
Got my new MS refresh and also have the rattle coming from anywhere in front of the driver side. Fortunately, my audio shop remove underneath the driver and passenger side while doing some work and do not notice any looseness under there. So, it could be in the frunk. It doesn't rattle all the time, only in slow speed while the suspension is bouncing.

I fixed this with my pool pump lid rubber o-ring, cut it, and used the short piece to put it into a panel like on the picture and two more pieces behind the main screen. all is invisible. Problem solved (not bad for a 100k car) :)

IMG_9763.jpeg
IMG_9899.jpeg

Wow, amazing, you have found one source of dash rattling, i will make a service to let tesla know, i have the same issue. BUT, found another place that rattle also and filmed the noise origin : went the center console is fully full/partial open, the rattles occur, when i close the center cover, the noise disappear.

Incredible, a 100K car with that kind of dash rattlings.

Regarding the rattling of the dashboard to the glass, can it be fixed with foam strips ??

Mine is definitely not a rattle. More of a creaking on roads with brick pavers, bumps, speed bumps, pretty much anything not fresh asphalt.

Service appointment scheduled March 18.

FYI, I found and fixed the source of this particular creaking noise. While checking the passenger door panel, I noticed the front door edge weather stripping was bunched up on top and folded over itself. I think this caused the weather strip to rub on quarter panel over bumps and when turning.

Here is a picture after I fixed it. Hard to describe, but imagine the top section being too high and scrunched up. I fixed this by removing the weather strip all the way down door, then refit starting from top so there was no more slack.

DBB5A035-EC7E-4D86-8108-74A8E265553C.jpeg

Reactions: Typhoon43 and Pdubs