Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 or 2023 [will a model 3 delivered in Nov of this year be a 2022 or 2023 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The answer is “it depends”.

In my opinion, this is a "full and accurate" statement, because we dont know exactly when the cutover will be from 2022 to 2023, but its "likely" to be cars made in september or october, and we have no idea if the vin the OP will get will be car manufactured before or after whatever cutover date tesla has.

The additional wrinkle is that I expect there to be a lot of delivery volatility as people try to figure out how to delay deliveries under the expectation that they may then qualify for a new tax credit, etc.

Its going to be all over the map (delivery dates, which vehicle, etc).

Reactions: MR F
I certainly wouldn't wait on it if you want/need the car. Whatever comes in 2023 could be worse than what you might get now.

I took delivery of a 2022 VIN in "late" November 2021. My car still had the data ports in the console (YAY!) which were removed in some of the late December deliveries. I didn't get the CPU update, but I'd rather have the data ports, so in my case it worked out great to get a hybrid 2022. :)

Point is - you will win some and lose some by waiting. If you really want the best of the best you may want to hold off until 2025 or 2030. :D

In my opinion, this is a "full and accurate" statement, because we dont know exactly when the cutover will be from 2022 to 2023, but its "likely" to be cars made in september or october, and we have no idea if the vin the OP will get will be car manufactured before or after whatever cutover date tesla has.

The additional wrinkle is that I expect there to be a lot of delivery volatility as people try to figure out how to delay deliveries under the expectation that they may then qualify for a new tax credit, etc.

Its going to be all over the map (delivery dates, which vehicle, etc).
I appreciate the response and agree.

Model years are meaningless the Tesla world date and place of manufacture is the only thing that has meaning. *with the supply chain issues what you get may still be different in some small way to what was planned.
How many times does this have to be said; model years are NOT meaningless.

They impact insurance rates and resale value.

How many times does this have to be said; model years are NOT meaningless.

They impact insurance rates and resale value.
Also, changes in regulated features or aspects (e.g. EPA economy or range) are more likely to be aligned to model years in order to avoid having to certify an additional variant that is only available for part of the model year. Of course, there are exceptions, such as the 2021 SR+ with 54kWh LFP battery, but the discontinuation of the SR+ NCA battery and 54 kWh LFP battery and the introduction of the 60 kWh LFP battery happened exactly on the change from the 2021 to 2022 model year.

Reactions: glide
Reports in the M3 performance delivery forum. 2023 VINs received today. Guessing they pushed it up to be able to remove the ultrasonic sensors.
Guess that's the bone they threw to the new customers who are getting screwed out of functionality until when/if* the Vision software can handle the USS duties. "You ordered a 22 with ultrasonics, but you're getting a 23 without them."

* I don't know the resolution of the camera or whether it can be accurate to within +/- 30 cm like the ultrasonics (which tell you to stop when within 12"/30cm of an object.)