Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is absolutely bullshit! I hope they make the damn thing retrofit possible. How are you gonna deliver cars withour a key update part just to make deliveries on time?! Oh yea the supply is short so now we’re actually gonna remove the headlights, power trunk, ryzen chip and dual pane glass, but here ya go :) (obviously an exaggeration)…but still.

Is it just me because id rather wait another month and get the substantially better headlights or are people not giving a crap? Just my two cents…
I'm rejecting delivery if it doesn't come with the upgraded headlights. I don't care if people think that's crazy, I'm getting what I paid for.

Interesting data. Have we yet to prove that any new Model 3 Performance are not part of the old headlight change? The data is inconclusive there still.

While I do like the extra range of the 3LR and is what I have ordered, I only need it for the occasional Las Vegas to San Diego trip. Probably means an extra 5 mins at a supercharger kind of thing if I swap to Performance. I guess Im trying to justify an upgrade…with more accel and better looks. 7k is 7k though.

Interesting data. Have we yet to prove that any new Model 3 Performance are not part of the old headlight change? The data is inconclusive there still.

While I do like the extra range of the 3LR and is what I have ordered, I only need it for the occasional Las Vegas to San Diego trip. Probably means an extra 5 mins at a supercharger kind of thing if I swap to Performance. I guess Im trying to justify an upgrade…with more accel and better looks. 7k is 7k though.
I'm seriously going through the same thought process right now.

Lol. Yes this sucks. The same day I got a nice EDD change to Jun/Jul I hear this news and its been bugging me. Let me know how you end up justifying the increase.
I figure I will end up buying acceleration boost and that takes the price increase down to 5k. Planned on upgrading the aero wheel covers, adding another $300. Plus pushing my delivery date back will give me more time to store away more money. That's as far as I've gotten lol. I'll probably save some money by not going on date nights with my wife, as we might not be on speaking terms when I break the news to her lol

I went through the same thing when I first ordered my LR. In the end I couldn’t justify the $7k upgrade other than I really like the looks of the performance. I finally gave in after seeing the exact build (blue / black int) in person. The Uber turbines cost $4,750 and the spoiler costs $800 in the Tesla store. That alone will cost you $5,500 if you decided to buy separately. Add the performance brakes, painted calipers, and track mode, and the $7k upgrade cost doesn’t sound too bad, imo.

Yeah you can probably visit your local SC and check if the recently built perf models still got the new headlight. The SC I went for data collection doesn't have too many perf models there so I can't know for sure.

I went through the same thing when I first ordered my LR. In the end I couldn’t justify the $7k upgrade other than I really like the looks of the performance. I finally gave in after seeing the exact build (blue / black int) in person. The Uber turbines cost $4,750 and the spoiler costs $800 in the Tesla store. That alone will cost you $5,500 if you decided to buy separately. Add the performance brakes, painted calipers, and track mode, and the $7k upgrade cost doesn’t sound too bad, imo.

Same. I ordered the LR at first but I liked the 19s over the Aeros. That closed the price gap a little closer. I definitely was going to put on a wing after. You start adding these things and then it made me decide, I really should just get the M3P. The 20 Ubers look better than the rest IMO too.

Reactions: Panel Gaps
This is terrible news....! I ordered mine back in Feb...now it seems I may not get a mobile charger or new headlights... THIS IS BS. Can we start tweeting Elon and get more attraction on this..? Everyone start tweeting Elon... this sucks...!

Same. I ordered the LR at first but I liked the 19s over the Aeros. That closed the price gap a little closer. I definitely was going to put on a wing after. You start adding these things and then it made me decide, I really should just get the M3P. The 20 Ubers look better than the rest IMO too.
Yes but IDK if that extra 40+ miles highway range is going to be regretted. Living in vegas and then driving to socal, will I feel those extra 40+ miles plus some efficiency wouldve made a difference in what I can do in socal or will I feel Im always having to find an available supercharger? Thats the question.

That is absolutely bullshit! I hope they make the damn thing retrofit possible. How are you gonna deliver cars withour a key update part just to make deliveries on time?! Oh yea the supply is short so now we’re actually gonna remove the headlights, power trunk, ryzen chip and dual pane glass, but here ya go :) (obviously an exaggeration)…but still.

Is it just me because id rather wait another month and get the substantially better headlights or are people not giving a crap? Just my two cents…

Most folks other than those here and the crossovers into FB aren't going to notice if they are even aware of the different versions. We have the matrix headlights on our YP and SPlaid and there is a notable difference from our '17 S and X.

Took delivery today in SoCal on a Model 3 RWD - VIN 455***- no Matrix headlights! I have already reached out to Tesla to see if they can remedy...disappointed to say the least!

When did Model 3 RWDs come with the matrix headlights? Honest question as I have not been following that. My own model 3 is a 2018 performance (no matrix lights there) and my wifes recently delivered (march 9th 2022) 2022 Model Y P has the matrix lights.

Last I was looking into this was a few months ago and I thought only performance came with matrix lights, then performance and AWD. By this post, I am assuming at some point Model 3 RWD started coming with them too (or is that just an assumption by the poster)?

When did Model 3 RWDs come with the matrix headlights? Honest question as I have not been following that. My own model 3 is a 2018 performance (no matrix lights there) and my wifes recently delivered (march 9th 2022) 2022 Model Y P has the matrix lights.

Last I was looking into this was a few months ago and I thought only performance came with matrix lights, then performance and AWD. By this post, I am assuming at some point Model 3 RWD started coming with them too (or is that just an assumption by the poster)?
Model 3 SR+ started coming with them around Jan/Feb 2021, same time as AWD.

As of 21/22, all model 3’s started coming with the matrix headlights. As of right now, only the performance Y has em, the LR doesn’t. This has become a topic since all the model 3’s have switched over to matrix for over a year now but for some reason deliveries as of a week ago have reverted back to the original LED’s.

As of 21/22, all model 3’s started coming with the matrix headlights. As of right now, only the performance Y has em, the LR doesn’t. This has become a topic since all the model 3’s have switched over to matrix for over a year now but for some reason deliveries as of a week ago have reverted back to the original LED’s.

Thats likely why I was a bit confused on it. I had a model Y on order for my wife and was following it closer on that end because thats what I had on order. I knew the model Y performance had them, the LR didnt, but wasnt following the model 3 version close.

Appreciate the update from you and @DownshiftDre .

I doubt that tesla will swap out or retrofit these on already delivered cars, so I wouldnt get my hopes up on that if I were anyone. I am not a tesla employee or anything (I am a volunteer moderator here at TMC, which is not affiliated with tesla at all), but havent seen tesla retrofit anything in this situation before.

I believe the order agreement also says that they can change things etc, but I dont know if anyone has ever legally challenged that. In any case, I would not expect tesla to be swapping out headlights on a brand new vehicle for another style or something. They wont even swap headlight types for people who want to pay them for it, so I dont think they are going to do that for people who just took delivery.

If this is a hot button item for you, If it were me, I would recommend speaking to your sales advisor to tell them, and being prepared to ask about it when you are assigned a vin (and possibly walking away from that vin, etc).

Note again that this is just "what I would do" and is not advice from someone who works for tesla, etc.

Last edited:
Thats likely why I was a bit confused on it. I had a model Y on order for my wife and was following it closer on that end because thats what I had on order. I knew the model Y performance had them, the LR didnt, but wasnt following the model 3 version close.

Appreciate the update from you and @DownshiftDre .

I doubt that tesla will swap out or retrofit these on already delivered cars, so I wouldnt get my hopes up on that if I were anyone. I am not a tesla employee or anything (I am a volunteer moderator here at TMC, which is not affiliated with tesla at all), but havent seen tesla retrofit anything in this situation before.

I believe the order agreement also says that they can change things etc, but I dont know if anyone has ever legally challenged that. In any case, I would not expect tesla to be swapping out headlights on a brand new vehicle for another style or something. They wont even swap headlight types for people who want to pay them for it, so I dont think they are going to do that for people who just took delivery.

If this is a hot button item for you, If it were me, I would recommend speaking to your sales advisor to tell them, and being prepared to ask about it when you are assigned a vin (and possibly walking away from that vin, etc).

Note again that this is just "what I would do" and is not advice from someone who works for tesla, etc.
Well i do appreciate the insight my man. At least its good to know from your experience that they won’t retrofit so we shouldn’t leep hopes for that. I might just have to talk to an SA as soon as my VIN is assigned and see if it has em. If not, i wonder if i reject it, what the turnaround for a new one would be and a big IF the next one would come with them. Maybe its a small batch of em being short? Maybe its gonna be like this for a year to come? Only mr. Muskaroony knows and i have yet to see him on these forums loll

Well i do appreciate the insight my man. At least its good to know from your experience that they won’t retrofit so we shouldn’t leep hopes for that. I might just have to talk to an SA as soon as my VIN is assigned and see if it has em. If not, i wonder if i reject it, what the turnaround for a new one would be and a big IF the next one would come with them. Maybe its a small batch of em being short? Maybe its gonna be like this for a year to come? Only mr. Muskaroony knows and i have yet to see him on these forums loll

The most recent parallel to this would be the removal of data from the front USB ports in the model 3 and Y. Tesla appeared to have a parts shortage, and started shipping model 3s and Ys either without USB ports all together, or USB ports without data (only power). Of course, for the "no USB ports at all in the front console" they did retrofit those when the parts came in.... but it was with the "non data" USB ports.

There was a pretty big uproar over that as the only data port in the front of the 3 and Y is now in the glove compartment, and it means you cant plug in a USB controller to the front ports (as no data) unless you use the one in the glove compartment.

Anyway, people tried to get tesla to retrofit USB ports with data into their cars, and tesla basically said "no". Thats just the most recent, but relevant situation similar to this one that I can think of.

If the car came without headlights (it obviously cant) they would retrofit, but I dont think there would be any guarantee that they would put X or Y in there, just "headlights that have passed testing for the vehicle." The order agreement doesnt promise "matrix" headlights so anyone thinking they can force tesla to provide them because "it was there when I ordered it!" would need to show where that specifically was there.

You can search threads on the USB issue to see the discussion, but to save you time hunting one of the threads down, here is the most active one I remember.

This is only relevant as its a similar change to parts after order but before pickup. In the above case people figured out how to retrofit something that would return USB data to those ports, but that was not from or through tesla.

I am not a lawyer (and also did not stay in a holiday inn express, to use a well worn joke) but I dont think anyone will get very far legally trying to get tesla to do anything in this situation.

Now, whether its a temp change or not, I have no idea. If its important to you, I suggest continuing to read here and elsewhere as people sleuth out this stuff.

its why I said that it was the right decision to split this out of the waiting room thread, this is a separate thing and will likely interest some very much, and generate its own discussion.

Hopefully you all end up with what you want... but as I said, I wouldnt accept delivery if this is a "cant live without it" feature because someone expects tesla to "retrofit / change them out later". Of course, anything is possible, but... they certainly have not done things like that in the past.