Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After watching/reading some comparison threads between old lights and new matrix lights I actually think I prefer the old lights better. Either way people who have driven with both said this is not really a game changer and it will come down to preference.
I’m guessing mine will have old lights (VIN 247xxx), so I’m curious what makes you like the old ones better. I’ve read that the new matrix headlights have some dark spots that are permanent (maybe needs to be adjusted, but seems to happen with many cars), but that’s about it. I’ve seen a few on the roads, and I had a hard time telling the difference. Might be more apparent on sharper curves, etc. Are there other things that make you prefer the old ones?

Either way, I agree that I can’t change things and will accept the car. It’s not enough of a dealbreaker after waiting over 3 months.

Anyone know how much a replacement matrix headlamp costs vs old style LED headlight?

Intend on keeping car for a long time and if replacement cost is a lot lower on old style, I wouldn’t mind.

This is coming from a Lexus with night vision that had IR emitters in the headlamps - bloody expensive but thankfully never had to replace.

Reactions: DownshiftDre
I’m guessing mine will have old lights (VIN 247xxx), so I’m curious what makes you like the old ones better. I’ve read that the new matrix headlights have some dark spots that are permanent (maybe needs to be adjusted, but seems to happen with many cars), but that’s about it. I’ve seen a few on the roads, and I had a hard time telling the difference. Might be more apparent on sharper curves, etc. Are there other things that make you prefer the old ones?

Either way, I agree that I can’t change things and will accept the car. It’s not enough of a dealbreaker after waiting over 3 months.
Based on the comparisons I saw the light cutoff of the new lights was more precise, but your light field looks more narrow (height and width). I live in rural New England with poor street lights and lots of wildlife so I think the older lights might be better to light up the areas beside and above the cutoff. Either way it's not a game changer for me. The posts I have read from people who drove both said there was little difference from their perspective. I would not turn down the car either way.

• Informative
Reactions: Rodney!
Just checked out my local service center. Two Performance models with build date of 4/25 and 4/26 DO have the matrix lights, so it seems like the Performance is not affected so far.

For non-Performance models the cutoff seems to be after 4/23. All the cars up to and including 4/23 had the matrix lights. Everything after had the old lights.

Mine has a build date of 4/23 and my SA confirmed it does NOT have the matrix lights.

Will have to check again in a week or two and see if there’s any changes on even newer builds.

I’m a new M3P owner, took delivery at the end of Feb. Before I placed my order I was having the same struggle, do I order the LR or performance? I knew I would be buying acceleration boost and 19” wheels if I got the long range, which as others have mentioned narrows the price gap.

I tend to keep my cars for a while which makes it easier to justify spending a little more but in the end I didn’t want to feel regret every time I got in my car that I didn’t get the one I really wanted.
Yeah was my logic too. So I got the performance model and the red color because we only live once and I work too hard to compromise especially when I can afford it. Taking delivery next week and it better have the matrix headlights and charger or I am not taking delivery.

Yeah was my logic too. So I got the performance model and the red color because we only live once and I work too hard to compromise especially when I can afford it. Taking delivery next week and it better have the matrix headlights and charger or I am not taking delivery.
I ordered the same as you in Florida on March 30, no VIN yet. Do you take delivery in Charlotte? I ask because I don't think Tesla has a SC delivery center

Does anyone know if my LR with VIN 2407xx will have matrix or old headlights? My SA is clueless. I first received the VIN notification 4/27 so I am worried that my car was built during the transition period.

Boooo. I have a 238xxx vin as well. I assume no matrix lights for me either.
VINs aren't necessarily chronological so its more reliable to go by the actual build date.

Reactions: Not That M3