Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model Y cabin noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They only did a road test I guess. My liftgate glass is flush with the Top Glass and all looks fine from outside after adjusting the 4 rubber stoppers.

However, from inside the trunk with cover closed, I measured the gap between the "loop" and the trunk body edge. The driver side gap is about 2mm wider than the passenger side. In my case, the seal tightness is not balanced between left and right. I explained to a service advisor (in the Peninsula) but did not have a chance to meet with a technician.

I heard that in Fremont SC, technicians sometimes meet directly with customers to explain issues and resolutions together with service advisors.
@EvilStryke, I took another closer look at my liftgate glass, it is also bowed in the middle (above the roof glass), not flushed. I will add it to my Service.

Mine has the obvious wind noise (even on extremely smooth road) from the back once it gets 25 mph. I think the liftgate glass middle bow contributes to the noise. I also found the LH rubber stopper is deformed and added it to service for replacement

All above (besides loop and trunk edge misalignment) contribute to the wind and rumbling noise.

My service appointment on 10/31 (Halloween). I will update what SC is going to say.

@EvilStryke, how is your service going?

I got lucky this time to have a chance to test drive with a technician. We also did a comparison with another Model Y. It's agreed that the wind noise is abnormal, both roof glass and liftgate glass will be replaced... waiting for parts now. After that, I will deal with the rumbling noise with PVC cap.

Without this forum, it would be impossible for me to point out any potential cause of the noise. I want to thank you who helped me (directly and indirectly) get to this point.

Add me to the list... Just took delivery of a 2023 (built Nov 2022 Fremont) model y. Only had the car 2 days and I already hate it, want to sell it. My commute is 150 miles and it gave me the worst headache and sinus pressure. Not my first new Tesla, but maybe my last. Already dreading the service appointment. Surprisingly, my hatch sits PERFECTLY flush and all panel gaps look spot-on... Go figure.

Mine has the obvious wind noise (even on extremely smooth road) from the back once it gets 25 mph. I think the liftgate glass middle bow contributes to the noise. I also found the LH rubber stopper is deformed and added it to service for replacement

All above (besides loop and trunk edge misalignment) contribute to the wind and rumbling noise.

My service appointment on 10/31 (Halloween). I will update what SC is going to say.

@EvilStryke, how is your service going?
Sorry for the super delayed response, haven't been on the forums lately. The NVH Lead agreed to replace the Liftgate Glass at my request during the service check in. The replacement looked better, but wasn't completely flush. A few weeks later with heavy rain, I discovered water leaking from wet spots in the front and rear headliners. The Top Glass was found to have a urethane sealant application issue from the Factory, once this was replaced the Liftgate Glass was much better.
I got lucky this time to have a chance to test drive with a technician. We also did a comparison with another Model Y. It's agreed that the wind noise is abnormal, both roof glass and liftgate glass will be replaced... waiting for parts now. After that, I will deal with the rumbling noise with PVC cap.

Without this forum, it would be impossible for me to point out any potential cause of the noise. I want to thank you who helped me (directly and indirectly) get to this point.
I'm glad the Service Center agreed to replace both of the glasses, hopefully it's quality repairs! I've had all three Windshield, Top Glass, and Liftgate Glass replaced and now there's a low whistling wind noise and above 70mpg it sounds like static. I have a service appointment Friday to rubber seal inspection. I recently discovered the Rear Passenger Window is quite far left and there's a gap between the molding which I think is causing the excessive wind noise. I'm hoping adjusting this will solve it all.

Had an update of today. Totally reduced the booming + small vibrations in car + better directional stability. This was a great Tesla technician at the SC who had solved this before on another car. TMY LR 0322 SHANGHAI
Here is the repair note.

Testdrive in vehicle on highway and normal roads did not verify any abnormal vibrations but a faint rumble/humming sound in vehicle (rear) when wheels passed uneven roads/bumps Diagnosis on suspension showed that some of the rear suspension bushings was not torqued in suspension height (From factory) - This caused suspension to "bounce" during operation - Suspension bushings loosened and re-torqued in ride-height - 4 wheel alignment check and adjustment to specifications performed. (Values changed when loosening suspension components) Testdrive in vehicle showed that vehicle is operating as designed - No abnormal vibrations/sound found after repair - Vehicle is operating as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.