Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.12.1 Update - Large text - Finally!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those wanting even larger fonts... just get a pair of these:

iu

:)

2023.12.1.1 addressed one of my wishes... customizable steering wheel button.
Indeed, and I have a pair like this and another that is progressive with the same results. For me, I don’t especially care for the rather narrow horizontal range of the Intermediate and Near regions of the glasses. As your diagram point out, both are maybe ⅔s of the total lens width, which means you lose a bit of peripheral vision and have to turn your head to benefit from the closer focus areas. Certainly it is doable, not a big problem, but I’d prefer it if the lenses were ground with all focus assists on the full lens width.

I installed 2023.12.1.1 last night. I am happy with the large font. I think some of the main items (speedometer) could be even bigger, but overall a big improvement. The larger font seems to apply to everything on the screen: not just speedo, but nav directions, control panel, etc. And I like that they put in a bigger font everywhere without re-flowing any of the controls: bigger text using the same layout as before. I was worried that (and assumed that) whitespace would get proportionally larger as well.

But what I mostly like is being able to change wiper speed with the left scroll wheel. That's long overdue.

Mute/hang-up on phone calls is nice, but I don't do enough calls in the car for that to be huge.

One minor nitpick of the wiper and phone controls via the left scroll wheel: it's not visually obvious that it's possible. There is a "<" or ">" over the on-screen buttons to let you know about the options, but the contrast is low. Probably many people will never notice, or never understand those indicators.
You hit the nail on the head on why they didn't make the font size any larger. This is probably the max they can do without having to change or reprogram the entire interface with loosing information, stacking, scrolling, etc to see everything.

I really love this update, and that Tesla addressed what must have been a very common request. My wife really wanted this when we first got the car and now we do. Good job Tesla!

A common misconception about reading glasses is that they magnify small print. Actually, they make it easier to read small print by providing the correct diopter strength which usually begins at +0.75 all the way up to +4.00 (more on that later). As typically worn, that will crystalize near focus for reading and other close work tasks so that your eyes have an easier time to focus. Reading glasses will not discernibly enlarge the size of text or near objects compared with when they are removed, though the crystalizing effect can often feel that way.

With the correct lenses, small text is sharp but still small. The "large text" feature doesn't yet make the browser text larger.

Reactions: TunaBug
I got this update a couple days ago and was excited for the larger font but switched back after a day. I do, however, really like many of the other improvements such as the addressable left scroll wheel and the ability for it to control wipers. Huge improvement 👍

I tried the new browser in this update and it does seem to be a lot more stable now. Previously it would crash after a minute or so. I will be testing it for a few days to make sure the improvement is permanent. The older version would sometimes behave for a while and then start crashing again.