Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update for black cameras, no visualizations and no self driving feature.
I received a message from Tesla Service today with an estimate of $2556 to replace the computer to fix the issue that has surfaced after the holiday download that I installed on 12/23/23 I am currently running 2023.44.30.5.1. which caused the problem. A subsequent download failed to install. I think it was 2023.44.30.8. I am going to try again to have them push 2023.44.30.8. $2556 is a big pill to swallow for what seems like a software issue.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Update for black cameras, no visualizations and no self driving feature.
I received a message from Tesla Service today with an estimate of $2556 to replace the computer to fix the issue that has surfaced after the holiday download that I installed on 12/23/23 I am currently running 2023.44.30.5.1. which caused the problem. A subsequent download failed to install. I think it was 2023.44.30.8. I am going to try again to have them push 2023.44.30.8. $2556 is a big pill to swallow for what seems like a software issue.
Remember that there's a NHTSA recall involved. If in the application of the recall they damaged your vehicle, there's probably a realistic case for them to fix it at their expense. No different than if you took it into the dealership for a recall out of warranty and it came out damaged. No way would I pay that.

Maybe some patience to see if they can fix it? - I really do believe their teams want to do the right thing and if it's you, it's at least hundreds of others as well. Maybe a little social media exposure could help if things don't resolve?

I am having a similar issue after 30.8 ..

My FSD was working the day before I applied the 30.8 patch, immediately after I when I tried to use it I received a message that AutoSteer was temporarily disabled, I thought that it would come back, but it never did. Further research I found that the patch had changed the FSD from 2 pulls to 1 pull, when I changed it back to 2 pulls I the error message changes to Cruise Control temporarily unavailable with the first pull and then AutoSteer on the second one.

Researching further from the Service menu under DAS, I see that the ECU is in critical state

(earlier I did see that this was init)

Infotainment is fine

ECU second view

Details

I reset the DAS

Status goes to Normal for only a second

Then back to Critical

I have reached out to Telsa, they want me to pay $275 per hour plus the any parts ..
I have argued that this is happened after the software update, they said that it is just a coincidence even though I have informed them that others are having the same issue,.. I think we need to band together and get this figured out so that we can get Tesla to fix it for free..

What makes me more upset is that I paid $8k for FSD years ago, and this is broken before it was even fully delivered

Update;
After requesting to push 2023.44.30.8 to my 2019 SR+ by messaging Tesla in the app, emailing Tesla Service and phoning Tesla I received a notice this morning that 30.8 was available to download. I started the download from a nearby hotspot I created to have a strong signal unlike the first failed attempt. The download paused after 10 minutes at 50% and remained there for about 20 minutes. Both the app and the car showed the download was 100% after 45 minutes but did not indicate it was ready to install. Then after another 45 minutes the car showed 60% and the app showed 90% but then within a minute or two they were both showing 100% again. The car sat at 100% for about 3 hours. I then I received a notice that the update was ready to install. The install took about 30 minutes and completed with out any issues unlike my previous 2 attempts 2 weeks ago that both failed. I did a short drive and the reverse cameras came up practically instantly and all the visualizations are working properly. I did not perform any boots after the download or install.

My service request from Tesla a week ago had stated that they had been unable to correct the issue remotely and I would need to go to the service center for a computer replacement at a cost to me of $2500. Hopefully this is a solid fix for me!

2023.44.30.9 looks to be only Model 3 in North America. (Tesla 2023.44.30.9 Release Notes (tesla-info.com)) Looks like @whisperingshad as a Model Y.
Interesting, Not A Tesla App shows it applies to all models in the US if I am reading it correctly.

TeslaFi shows installs to Model Y.

Interesting, Not A Tesla App shows it applies to all models in the US if I am reading it correctly.

TeslaFi shows installs to Model Y.

I should have been a little clearer... plenty of installs of 2023.44.30.9 to Model Ys, but not in North America. In North America, it appears that 2023.44.30.9 is only hitting Model 3s. Not A Tesla App really doesn't break the data out like that. TeslaFi's data also supports this (hard to link to it but if you follow your link, then click on 2023.44.30.9, you can kind of see it by looking at recent installs. Tesla Info's heatmaps are the only ones that I've found to really show model and country for a release well but I'm not sure where their data is coming from.

I should have been a little clearer... plenty of installs of 2023.44.30.9 to Model Ys, but not in North America. In North America, it appears that 2023.44.30.9 is only hitting Model 3s. Not A Tesla App really doesn't break the data out like that. TeslaFi's data also supports this (hard to link to it but if you follow your link, then click on 2023.44.30.9, you can kind of see it by looking at recent installs. Tesla Info's heatmaps are the only ones that I've found to really show model and country for a release well but I'm not sure where their data is coming from.
Thanks, I see that now. 20223.44.30.9 is not available at this time for @whisperingshad. He's out of firmware options for the moment.

I am having a similar issue after 30.8 ..

My FSD was working the day before I applied the 30.8 patch, immediately after I when I tried to use it I received a message that AutoSteer was temporarily disabled, I thought that it would come back, but it never did. Further research I found that the patch had changed the FSD from 2 pulls to 1 pull, when I changed it back to 2 pulls I the error message changes to Cruise Control temporarily unavailable with the first pull and then AutoSteer on the second one.

Researching further from the Service menu under DAS, I see that the ECU is in critical state

(earlier I did see that this was init)

Infotainment is fine

ECU second view

Details

I reset the DAS

Status goes to Normal for only a second

Then back to Critical

I have reached out to Telsa, they want me to pay $275 per hour plus the any parts ..
I have argued that this is happened after the software update, they said that it is just a coincidence even though I have informed them that others are having the same issue,.. I think we need to band together and get this figured out so that we can get Tesla to fix it for free..

What makes me more upset is that I paid $8k for FSD years ago, and this is broken before it was even fully delivered
My issue is now fixed!! After much back and forth with Tesla Service , including 2 escalations requests with Customer Service they finally did as I had requested from the start, resent me the OTA, this time after applying it FSD / AP was working as expected. It was not a pleasant journey, but I am happy with the conclusion

My issue is now fixed!! After much back and forth with Tesla Service , including 2 escalations requests with Customer Service they finally did as I had requested from the start, resent me the OTA, this time after applying it FSD / AP was working as expected. It was not a pleasant journey, but I am happy with the conclusion
Excellent news! I don't know if Tesla is just so reluctant to resend an update or it just takes them so long to queue it up. Good that you stayed on them.!