Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summary of events to date:

12/23/23 Loaded 2023.44.30.5.1 All 3 reverse camera views black, no visualizations and no GPS. Rebooted using 2 thumbs and brake peddle and the problem remained. Over the next few days sometimes the cameras and visualizations would work sometimes not. Service request submitted to Tesla.

12/27/23 Started a road trip. After supercharging at the first stop I performed a 2 thumb brake peddle boot just for grins. The problem went away, cameras and visualizations returned. The car functioned normally for the next 4 days with probably 6 or more drive cycles.

1/2/24 Returned from 1000 mile road trip with no issues. By this time I had received a repair estimate from Tesla which stated their repair would involve disconnecting the 12 volt battery cable to perform the reboot process. Even though my cameras were working fine I performed this process myself thinking it may keep the problem from coming back. I powered off the car and waited 10 minutes for the contactor to open. Disconnected the negative 12 volt cable waited 10 minutes or so then reconnected the cable. Unfortunately the black camera views and no visualizations returned. Rats! I must have tried 6 or more thumb/brake pedal reboots with no success.

1/4/24 The problem remained for the past few days with several drive cycles. On this day all systems started working again.

1/6/24 Everything working fine for the last 2 days. Tesla Service shows up and views the logs for the past week. He sees that at times the CPU gets hung in a boot loop for a period of time. He wants to perform the 12 volt disconnect reboot and does. At first the cameras don't work then a few minutes later they start working again. He concludes the boot process had not finished. An hour or so after he leaves I check the car again. The problem has returned. Before Tesla Service leaves he recommends that if the problem does return I wait for the next software fix. He states that even the .7 release still has not fixed all the issues. Also hardware 4 cars are experiencing problems.

In my experience once I had 2 or 3 successful drive cycles the problem did not reappear for several days until the 12V disconnect procedure was performed. I'm hoping in a day or two my car will get past the boot process and heal itself! We will see....

The holiday update took away the ability to swap between favorite XM channels on my Model X. I was hoping that the two subsequent updates would fix it, but so far it still doesn’t work. I’ve tried rebooting the car and even turning the power off on it, but no luck so far. 🙄

Just want to share my experience with these updates
my hw4 y got (44. 30. 4) a week before holidays. Everything was fine for a while I read lots of complains and I am the one not have that. lol
Then the (44.30.6) kick in and blacked all the cameras just after a short period park for go in and out a store... damn, drove home and everything returned next day. could it went away? but not! All blacked again and no returns for a couple of days.
Then, I got the (44.30.7) notice on my phone, I cannot believe it but why not have a try.
Updated and everything seems ok. I drove for a week likely, hope nothing wrong, cross fingers. lol. I like the gams from telsa software updates...

Is tesla actually improving driver awareness or just purely increasing the nag? It was discovered on a few prior updates that if your hand/arm was near the steering wheel the cabin camera would let it go, but now it seems the cabin camera won't allow but the quickest glances from the road?

Curious to know if anyone with the S3XY buttons or wheel weights etc have noticed any difference in the monitoring mechanics with the latest holiday updates? Do the S3XY buttons still work aka flipping the speed limited +1/-1 etc? It appears the youtube guys use the S3XY buttons to rest their hands. I liked the programmable buttons feature but the long-press scroll wheel feature seems to defeat the purpose of those buttons now.

but now it seems the cabin camera won't allow but the quickest glances from the road?
That is not my experience with either a M3 with FSD or an MY without. I can look at the display for a reasonable amount of time (~5-7 seconds) before getting a Pay Attention warning. This is exactly how FSD beta has worked for a long time and it seems that Tesla enabled the same cabin monitor for AP.

However, that doesn't mean that the cabin monitor works equally well for every person. It is possible that the NNs that interpret the camera frames may not track certain facial structures or complexions as well as others.

You should have another person drive your car with AP and see if they have the same experience as you. Or, you should drive another Tesla to see if you have the same issue in multiple cars. Take a test drive at a showroom if you don't have a friend with a Tesla to borrow. These tests will help narrow down if you have a hardware or software problem.

If you cannot look away from the road for more a couple seconds, you should do a service request. Tesla will probably cancel it because it's a software issue, but perhaps the request will help generate statistics pointing out the issues.

Reactions: evannole
That is not my experience with either a M3 with FSD or an MY without. I can look at the display for a reasonable amount of time (~5-7 seconds) before getting a Pay Attention warning. This is exactly how FSD beta has worked for a long time and it seems that Tesla enabled the same cabin monitor for AP.

However, that doesn't mean that the cabin monitor works equally well for every person. It is possible that the NNs that interpret the camera frames may not track certain facial structures or complexions as well as others.

You should have another person drive your car with AP and see if they have the same experience as you. Or, you should drive another Tesla to see if you have the same issue in multiple cars. Take a test drive at a showroom if you don't have a friend with a Tesla to borrow. These tests will help narrow down if you have a hardware or software problem.

If you cannot look away from the road for more a couple seconds, you should do a service request. Tesla will probably cancel it because it's a software issue, but perhaps the request will help generate statistics pointing out the issues.

Thanks that’s very helpful. I’ve had FSD since the 10.3 days and never had an issue. Forums made it sound 1000x worse.

Update;
Since loading 2023.44.30.5.1 on 12/23/23 cameras, GPS and visualizations have been working about 50% of the time. Tesla Service performed the 12volt disconnect/reconnect procedure which did not solve the problem. Around 1/9/24 I had a notice that 2023.40.30.8 was available to download which I did. The download stalled first at 30% then a few hours later it showed only about 10%. It hung there for about a day until I created a hotspot close to the car then the download picked back up quickly and finished in no more than 30 minutes. My WIFI is a bit weak in the garage. I started the installation process and after about an hour I got a notice that the install had failed. I initiated a service request and it wasn't long before I received a notice that the update was ready to install again. The second install failed also. I did not see the update get downloaded again for the second install attempt so I think Tesla just made the same download available for a second install attempt. I started a second software service request for the failed download. When I submitted the second request for a new download I got an immediate notice that a ticket was already open for this issue and my submission appeared to be rejected.

A day or two after the two failed updates if I checked for software updates it would state I was up to date "as of" and give a date that was a few days in the past. Now when I check for the availability of any updates I am told my car is currently up to date as of the current date with 2023.44.30.5.1. Looks like Tesla has taken me off the list for 2023.44.30.8. I'm just kind of in a wait and see mode now. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and try to submit another service request to try and get some status.

The holiday update took away the ability to swap between favorite XM channels on my Model X. I was hoping that the two subsequent updates would fix it, but so far it still doesn’t work. I’ve tried rebooting the car and even turning the power off on it, but no luck so far. 🙄
Similarly, in some recent update, tilting the left scroll-wheel right / left no longer goes to my next / previous favorite FM radio station. Instead, it jut goes to the next station that it can tune to. Annoying. Now I have to bring up a list of radio stations on the touchscreen and select a favorite.

2023.44.1? Our 2020 Model Y is on 2023.7.20. I have tried to contact service and they won’t let me even file a problem. I have rebooted, I have installed a new WiFi extender (connection works four bars), I have gone into service mode and reinstalled, then rebooted. Not sure what else we can do here.

2023.44.1? Our 2020 Model Y is on 2023.7.20. I have tried to contact service and they won’t let me even file a problem. I have rebooted, I have installed a new WiFi extender (connection works four bars), I have gone into service mode and reinstalled, then rebooted. Not sure what else we can do here.
Selecting advanced un the software menu may help. Also, updates can initiate when the car is asleep. Make sure there isn't a program or app keeping the car awake full time.

Finally installed 2023.44.30.8, was on 2023.32.6.

Auto wipers still about 5% functional (and that's a stretch). I let it try to wipe about 20 times, after the windshield was entirely impossible to see through. One time it wiped at 90% obscured, one time it wiped at a couple seconds after 100% obscured, 18 times I had to manually wipe it. Totally broken, just like before.

Just give us about 4-6 more intermittent settings, like EVERY OTHER BRAND, and let us adjust on the fly with a scroll wheel. Sheesh, it's not hard. I bet they have about 10 test versions of this already, but just refuse to do it.

Medium actual rain, bright evening (after sunset, still light out, full cloud cover).

Besides the wipers, everything else seems OK so far. I don't use AP at all anymore, so I don't care about that, but I'll try it for fun, see how it goes.

Finally installed 2023.44.30.8, was on 2023.32.6.

Auto wipers still about 5% functional (and that's a stretch). I let it try to wipe about 20 times, after the windshield was entirely impossible to see through. One time it wiped at 90% obscured, one time it wiped at a couple seconds after 100% obscured, 18 times I had to manually wipe it. Totally broken, just like before.

Just give us about 4-6 more intermittent settings, like EVERY OTHER BRAND, and let us adjust on the fly with a scroll wheel. Sheesh, it's not hard. I bet they have about 10 test versions of this already, but just refuse to do it.

Medium actual rain, bright evening (after sunset, still light out, full cloud cover).

Besides the wipers, everything else seems OK so far. I don't use AP at all anymore, so I don't care about that, but I'll try it for fun, see how it goes.
I have the opposite problem. It's misty and a setting slightly lower than the I setting would be nice but instead it wipes like it's a downpour. Today, I left it on I and was tricked into thinking the auto setting was working well... only to find it was on a manual setting 5 minutes into the drive

Reactions: OxBrew
I have the opposite problem. It's misty and a setting slightly lower than the I setting would be nice but instead it wipes like it's a downpour. Today, I left it on I and was tricked into thinking the auto setting was working well... only to find it was on a manual setting 5 minutes into the drive
Yeah, I had that problem in earlier iterations. Maybe still do, who knows.

This happened to us 3x last night (still not on latest update, though.)

Wet snow, salt spray. Eventually, the notification that the camera was blocked and we were to clean the windshield came on and stayed on (it was appearing occasionally earlier in the drive.) The driver wasn't using AP or FSD (conditions were not conducive to using even TACC) and so we ignored that. But the wipers kept being switched from auto to low and that was only noted when an extra swipe was activated from the stalk by the driver.

On the plus side, the most direct route home for the 70 mile drive was a freeway but we were to only have 14% battery according to the planner when we left. That ended up at 9% when we parked. Thankfully, the bad driving conditions meant we could drop our speed to 50 mph along with everyone else and we turned off the heat and just used the seat heaters until we had to turn defrost back on with the cabin temp set to 65F. Thankfully the little ones weren't with us as they are not allowed to wear winter coats in car seats and the seat heaters won't heat their seats. I used the blankets I have for them to stop the draft on my legs from the defroster. Car is up to 35% SOC (we only have L1 charging at home.)