Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting the signal on just as you start a lane change is unsafe. It's safer to indicate intention before the lane change. In this way, if you're not aware of potential collision, cars can make room.
That does not contradict what I said, though perhaps I could have worded it more clearly. The signal is a signal. You should give time for others to see your intention before you move, but that is not the same thing as blindly throwing on your indicator irrespective of whether it’s safe to make your manoeuvre.

The old mantra we used to learn by in the UK was ‘mirror, signal, manoeuvre’, meaning make sure it is safe to do what you are planning to do, tell others what you’re planning to do, then do it (following a final safety check, but I guess that wasn’t punchy enough to make the edit).

If you needed to reverse out of a parking space you don’t put the car in reverse and turn on your reverse lights while there are people walking across behind the car (I hope?). It’s poor practice and gives the impression you might be about to back over them.

I think it's a pretty nice list of feature updates. At this point I feel like my '21 MYP is relatively maxed out on features relative to its hardware limitations, so any useful or fun new features are welcomed in my book. The holiday features I'm most looking forward to are the Apple podcast and pillar camera access. I also love the addition of automatic 911 calls, but hopefully I'll never ever get to use that feature.

So does this mean all drivers will get this automatically, not by choice?
The blind spot camera view shows automatically if that's how its configured in the Autopilot menu.
1000025163.jpg

I believe the update just puts a red bar on the edge of the camera image if a car is in the blind spot.

Reactions: jbarnum
Why does Tesla make it so all these blind spot features only work when you're already signalling? It's terrible driving etiquette to put your signal on before you actually intend to start moving. You're supposed to have checked your blind spot BEFORE that.

I was hoping this would put some sort of visible indicator on screen (perhaps not the full space-hogging video feed) every time a vehicle was in the blind spot, like, say, every other manufacturer does it with their blind spot warnings.
My lane change procedure since the blind-spot camera view became available is:

-look at the mirror on the side I intend to move into to see if lane is open
-signal
-take a quick glance at the mirror as I turn my head to check the blind spot
-turn my head back toward the front and take a quick glance at the blind spot camera feed as I start moving into the adjacent lane in case something popped into that space while my head turned back toward the front

Going to the right I omit turning my head to check the blind spot because I can't see squat looking out that direction, so I look at the camera feed instead.

I've gotten quite comfortable with this to the point that I sometimes glance at the center console during lane changes when driving other cars.:oops:

I think the addition of the red blind spot warning is nice because sometimes during busy traffic or night time, it could be difficult to "comprehend" the blind spot camera feed when taking a quick glance at it. Having the red bar would in theory help me tell if the blind-spot is clear at a quick glance.

I too think Tesla should put a blind spot indicator on the screen to simulate the blind spot indicators that light up in other cars, but I suppose you can look at the FSD realization to see if there's a car in your blind spot. I just haven't bothered to train myself to do that because I haven't found it to be necessary. I don't really even notice those blind spot lights when driving other cars.

Reactions: Mullermn
My lane change procedure since the blind-spot camera view became available is:

-look at the mirror on the side I intend to move into to see if lane is open
-signal
-take a quick glance at the mirror as I turn my head to check the blind spot
-turn my head back toward the front and take a quick glance at the blind spot camera feed as I start moving into the adjacent lane in case something popped into that space while my head turned back toward the front

Going to the right I omit turning my head to check the blind spot because I can't see squat looking out that direction, so I look at the camera feed instead.

I've gotten quite comfortable with this to the point that I sometimes glance at the center console during lane changes when driving other cars.:oops:

I think the addition of the red blind spot warning is nice because sometimes during busy traffic or night time, it could be difficult to "comprehend" the blind spot camera feed when taking a quick glance at it. Having the red bar would in theory help me tell if the blind-spot is clear at a quick glance.

I too think Tesla should put a blind spot indicator on the screen to simulate the blind spot indicators that light up in other cars, but I suppose you can look at the FSD realization to see if there's a car in your blind spot. I just haven't bothered to train myself to do that because I haven't found it to be necessary. I don't really even notice those blind spot lights when driving other cars.
Yeah, I agree, this is what I’m doing too, and the red bar should make it much easier to do this at a glance rather than having to scrutinise the wide angle video feed.

I wish the blind spot detection would use audio warnings instead. I'm not always looking at the screen at the blind spot camera (ie. shoulder checking instead). So if it would have alarm sounds when the camera detects a car moving into that frame, that would be ideal.
Yes, I think a passive red dot on screen at all times when a car is in the blind plus an audible warning if signals are activated with something there would be better.

Reactions: XPsionic
Why does Tesla make it so all these blind spot features only work when you're already signalling? It's terrible driving etiquette to put your signal on before you actually intend to start moving. You're supposed to have checked your blind spot BEFORE that.

Are you suggesting that you should start moving into the new lane or start making a turn before you put the turn signal on? That’s seems to be the way more and more drive in recent years. If this is being taught as proper driving etiquette then we need new driving teachers.

I agree with those wanting an indication BEFORE turning on the signal. I'm still going to turn on the signal before making any move into the adjacent lane. But I prefer not to freak people out that may be in the blind spot by turning on the signal. I'd like a dedicated blindspot light on the screen or at least highlight the car in red on the visualization (like it does now only when turn signal is active). Then I know someone is there and can wait till they pass before switching on the turn signal.