Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of doubt the USS cars will ever get the vision-only park assist. Tesla doesn't have any incentive to put resources into developing software marrying the USS and vision-only system. I could be wrong, but I don't think the USS cars can simply use the vision-only software for the park assist stuff because there would be competing signals that would need some sort of logic to sort out.
At some point USS cars will definitely get this park assist. The only question is whether that will incorporate USS data or whether those sensors will be disregarded for parking purposes from that point.

The transition is inevitable. USS are a very crude tool (much as everyone seems attached to them) and are no good for supporting the level of automation that Tesla need for their self driving features.

• Funny
Reactions: zivac87 and Zilla91
At some point USS cars will definitely get this park assist. The only question is whether that will incorporate USS data or whether those sensors will be disregarded for parking purposes from that point.

The transition is inevitable. USS are a very crude tool (much as everyone seems attached to them) and are no good for supporting the level of automation that Tesla need for their self driving features.
I agree that at some point the USS might just get deactivated when Tesla deem the vision-only park assist is good enough, like they did with the radar. I just hope that when that happens the vison-only park assist is indeed good enough.

I agree that at some point the USS might just get deactivated when Tesla deem the vision-only park assist is good enough, like they did with the radar. I just hope that when that happens the vison-only park assist is indeed good enough.
Realistically vision park assist is unlikely to reach a state where it will be better than USS in every single regard in all situations because they're simply different technologies with different failure modes. Vision suffers when visibility is reduced due to darkness or weather while USS doesn't care, for example, while USS are unable to judge the vertical height of an object or work out what it's made of, and they can't see painted markings.

The few example videos that have trickled out so far look pretty encouraging, not just in that the visuals have improved but also the accuracy looks pretty good. I'd like to see more examples in darkness and bad weather. The rule of thumb for the current system is that it gives up any time the parking gets hard enough that you actually need assistance.

Reactions: Transformer