Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who is responsible for writing code for PLCs used in industrial machinery that my employer manufactures, I can't even begin to wrap my head around the complexity and challenges that Tesla faces. My previous comment was based on the fact that we have created minor software revisions not necessarily to fix bugs, but to update/add code that only applies to specific equipment. For example, Tesla's 2023.44.30.4 may not actually fix a bug, but rather bring changes made in previous versions to more vehicles. I've seen this with iOS, too - sometimes Apple releases point updates that fix issues for specific phones. As another example (and I'm just making up numbers here), iOS 20.5.3 may be issued only to address something for one specific model of phone, so another model of phone that has 20.5.2 may be not be "worse" or "more buggy" since whatever was updated in the .3 release didn't apply to the other models. I hope this makes sense - it does in my head and I wrote this in one take. ;)

Maybe drive the car yourself? You can still do that, you know - you don't have to use Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Beta.

The chance of an update bricking your Tesla is exceedingly low.
I have already turned OFF everything I can, but there are so many things that merrily continue their surprises, like slamming on the brakes to a complete stop in a traffic lane, because I met a vehicle, minding their own business in their lane and not doing anything suspicious. Headlights that go dim, bright, on, off, etc., wipers that do or don't wipe entirely on their own.

But you have a good point - up to now, none of the updates have completely disabled the car? Hence my hoping someone has tried this update and can report on what, if any, changes to expect.

I have already turned OFF everything I can, but there are so many things that merrily continue their surprises, like slamming on the brakes to a complete stop in a traffic lane, because I met a vehicle, minding their own business in their lane and not doing anything suspicious. Headlights that go dim, bright, on, off, etc., wipers that do or don't wipe entirely on their own.

But you have a good point - up to now, none of the updates have completely disabled the car? Hence my hoping someone has tried this update and can report on what, if any, changes to expect.
A safe bet is to look at the reviews on Teslafi. Wait until 3/4 of your car configuration has updated.

I'm liking this update so far. Finally got the gaming in the rear seat that was promised.

Reactions: zoomer0056

I believe you can turn emergency braking off too. I haven't turned it off, but I have it set to "late" which, to me, has made it easy to live with while still maintaining a backup safety factor.

Just dumb everything down until you have some confidence in the car. The other poster was right...just drive the car yourself.

If the automatic headlights and wipers bother you...run them on manual control. I agree with you that the automatic headlights and wipers often don't work the way I think they should. But, for me, I rarely drive at night or in the rain. So I control them manually when desired. Other times I leave 'em on automatic.

If the automatic headlights and wipers bother you...run them on manual control. I agree with you that the automatic headlights and wipers often don't work the way I think they should. But, for me, I rarely drive at night or in the rain. So I control them manually when desired. Other times I leave 'em on automatic.
I decided to start using auto high beam a couple of months ago after not using for the first 2 years of my MYP ownership. To my surprise it has been perfect to date. At least I have not felt that it improperly switched to high beams at any point so far. The auto wipers, on the other hand, is still hit and miss.

I got the notice this morning that 2023.44.30.2 is available for install. I have some questions, but I don't know who to ask. I do expect that in the future, Tesla will have sold enough vehicles to create a market for customer service and vehicle repairs so before long, independent businesses will establish vehicle and customer service centers to satisfy that need.

In the meantime I will try posting the questions here and if it's the wrong place, perhaps the moderators can move them to a better home.

My 2022 Y LR is likely mechanically the best car I have ever owned. At the same time, it is likely the most dangerous and unsafe car I have ever owned. Its first assignation attempt was about 10 minutes after I left the place Tesla turned it over to me, when it tried to create a collision with another vehicle merging onto the interstate highway. With each update until July 2023, the car got a little bit better, sometimes 3 steps forward and 2 backward, but always progress.

For the last 5 months every single update always made it worse. Sometimes things were added that I didn't care about like fart noises, light shows, entertainment additions, etc., but with every update, significant driving functions got worse and things that used to work were broken and have since stayed broke.

Tomorrow night I will need to take someone to the airport and really have to have a vehicle available to do it. There are no reviews available that I have found on 2023.44.30.2 I would really like to install the update with the hope that it will fix something that would allow me to back off from Devcon Level 4 to a lower level. But given 5 or 6 updates in a row that have been net destructive, I just don't dare, the probability is too high that it will brick the car. On the other hand, I absolutely hate driving the car in its present condition and even worse, add a passenger to deliver to the airport.

Has anyone actually installed 2023.44.30.2 in a 2022 MYLR?
If so, what were the results?
Just installed .2 last night and had first drive just now. From what I see so far that there’s NO collision warning now. After stopping what was too close behind a car at a light, I intentionally came up on another car quicker than normal and there was no warning whatsoever. Then a car crossed in front of me much closer than an alert would normally sound, and nothing. Can’t wait to see what other surprises show up.
So I would maybe wait for .3 or .4 or later.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I would really like to install the update with the hope that it will fix something that would allow me to back off from Devcon Level 4 to a lower level. But given 5 or 6 updates in a row that have been net destructive, I just don't dare, the probability is too high that it will brick the car. On the other hand, I absolutely hate driving the car in its present condition and even worse, add a passenger to deliver to the airport.
I don't have FSD or the update yet. However, from the last thousand posts related to FSD/Autopilot, it would be safe to always be in a defensive proactive DefCon mode when using FSD/Autopilot. Safe for your passengers and those around you. You can also drive without FSD/Autopilot. I drive a 2022 MSLR, whenever I see another Tesla I give it lots of room thinking the driver is not attentive and the car has FSD/Autopilot active.

Last edited:
Just installed .2 last night and had first drive just now. From what I see so far that there’s NO collision warning now. After stopping what was too close behind a car at a light, I intentionally came up on another car quicker than normal and there was no warning whatsoever. Then a car crossed in front of me much closer than an alert would normally sound, and nothing. Can’t wait to see what other surprises show up.
I can confirm that FCW does work in my '23 MY with 2023.44.30.1 - even in the two places along my daily commute where it alerts even when there's no other traffic in sight. ;)

Reactions: zoomer0056
The problem with testing the collision avoidance stuff is you never know whether it’s not working or whether it’s just gotten better at telling real collisions apart from events that were never going to be a collision.

The problem with testing the collision avoidance stuff is you never know whether it’s not working or whether it’s just gotten better at telling real collisions apart from events that were never going to be a collision.
Good point. Users need procedures to see how the systems operate. I wonder if a Tesla routine maintenance would go through a multi hundred check list.

There's no real good comfortable way to sit and place my arm to provide the required torque without having to consciously be pushing on it. All my previous vehicles had spokes of some kind around the 5:00 and 7:00 positions (or 4:00 and 8:00) and I could rest one or both hands there comfortably.
This is a terrible and unsafe way to drive. The purpose of the "10 and 2" position many (all?) of us were taught is because your hands were already in the prime position on the steering wheel to react to an emergency situation. By having your hands in the MIDDLE of the wheel means you have to move your hands before you can start the physical correction. In many cases, this additional time can (and does) mean the difference between successfully avoiding an accident or getting in one. This isn't being alarmist or a worry-wort: it is a very smart driving detail.

My wife used to drive with her arms in her lap and her hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. She would hate when I badgered her about that until one day she was driving and narrowly missed being in an accident. She told me later that she realized that if her hands had been at the bottom like she used to, she WOULD have hit the car that turned in front of her.

Currently on 2023.44.30.2 as I got the update today.

If anyone noticed but not sure if this an oversight from Tesla but if you use a custom lock sound, there is no unlock sound confirmation and it also turns off the lock sound confirmation (in lock menu with) without letting the owner know. If returning back to normal horn, you need to turn lock sound confirmation back on or else it here is no sound for both lock/unlock before realizing it.

Currently on 2023.44.30.2 as I got the update today.

If anyone noticed but not sure if this an oversight from Tesla but if you use a custom lock sound, there is no unlock sound confirmation and it also turns off the lock sound confirmation (in lock menu with) without letting the owner know. If returning back to normal horn, you need to turn lock sound confirmation back on or else it here is no sound for both lock/unlock before realizing it.
Year and model of your car.

I’ve been driving teslas for 5 years and have never had a vehicle cross in front of me that close where there was no warning either audible or where the vehicle didn’t show up as red on the screen. Also if I stop within 2 or 3 feet behind another vehicle, there are no yellow or red proximity lines and no audible warning sounds as has always been the case in the past. I intentionally did this today multiple times to be sure I wasn’t imagining this behavior. Wifey also noticed this and commented that this has made the car worse, not better. I’m hoping these are new bugs that will be worked out soon.