Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely the ID.3 doesn't even let you use "travel assist" except on prescribed roads though, no? Tesla let you use AP anywhere, even on roads & in situations it patently can't deal with.
It does but because VW doesn't market it in a way that misleads you into thinking it can make the car drive itself I doubt many VW drivers will ever think to activate it on anything other than a motorway or dual carriageway

• Informative
Reactions: goRt and Durzel
Tesla let you use AP anywhere, even on roads & in situations it patently can't deal with.

I remember, back in the early days of AP, some wag putting some "tape" down his garden to simulate lane markings and driving across his lawn to see if AP would engage (it did) and then driving at his girlfriend to see if it would activate the brakes ... she was brave!

I completed a 300 miles trip on 44.30.2. Camera on. Nighttime. (Illuminated IR).
Didn't get any extra nags compared to before, just resting my hand on the steering wheel, sometimes switching music on the touchscreen... so I am not sure what all the fuss was about. I guess if you have normal levels of attentiveness on a motorway it shouldn't be a problem.

Makes me wonder what the whining bunch is normally doing at the wheel... Maybe it's a good thing they released these additional checks for the safety of other drivers out there.
Okay. I believe I owe some people an apology.
Just got my first forced disengagement due to the cabin camera today. No prior warning in the form of a blue glare or a 'Pay attention to the road' message on screen before.
Just the siren like sound, red steering wheel, and AP jail 'disabled for the rest of the drive' message.

I just glanced at the satnav as it re routed me due to traffic, for probably like 2 secs... And I had my hand on the steering wheel while it happened..

I now have 1 strike out of 5.

Definitely needs improvement.

I'm on 44.7

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I'm in the opposite camp currently. I couldn't even force it to nag me at night (2020 car, so no IR emitters I presume, my cabin camera appears pretty dark at night).

Sounds like there is some condition where you get instantly punished though?

Sounds like there is some condition where you get instantly punished though?
That was my thought.
I would welcome some logs or a bit more explanation after each event to review what the car thought it saw.

And if such things continue to happen incorrectly, Tesla should save the cabin clip and allow for an appeal system with manual review to reset the ban counter. I'm not gonna enjoy being penalised incorrectly.

no such nags with cover...
To me you get slightly more frequent 'apply torque' nags when obscuring the camera vs when not.

Also, at some point, there might be insurance implications if you get involved in a serious crash and the first responders find a bit of masking tape over the cabin camera...
I believe this already happened with other cheating devices such as weights on the steering in previous instances iirc.

Reactions: Js1977
To me you get slightly more frequent 'apply torque' nags when obscuring the camera vs when not.
I get the nag if torque is not enough when enabling AP. Nothing later
Also, at some point, there might be insurance implications if you get involved in a serious crash and the first responders find a bit of masking tape over the cabin camera...
Why? Lol no.

I believe this already happened with other cheating devices such as weights on the steering in previous instances iirc.
With weights they have system in place which detects it now. But with camera? All other cars which have no internal camera then are waht - without insurance!? What if camera lense is dirty!? Nonsense.

I get the nag if torque is not enough when enabling AP. Nothing later

Why? Lol no.

With weights they have system in place which detects it now. But with camera? All other cars which have no internal camera then are waht - without insurance!? What if camera lense is dirty!? Nonsense.
Well, you're tampering with the AP system as designed by the manufacturer.
In this instance Tesla is using the Cabin Camera as an integral part of AP/FSD now, so it's no different to using weights back when the system couldn't detect it.
I won't argue with you, but no doubt we'll hear about a court case regarding this soon enough, and I'll be curious to hear the arguments from lawyers on both sides..

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if in a future update, Tesla would disable AP entirely if it detects that the cabin camera has been intentionally blinded.