Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 HW4 Model X Front Door Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told during my test drive a few weeks ago that the doors still have the ultrasonic sensors in them but they it was a software update that was needed to fix the opening issue, that this update was in the works.

I was told the same thing in December 2022. So...good luck. I doubt Tesla will ever fix this issue based on the track record so far.

Reactions: Meagain
Rule number one: If a service center employee tells you something.... Consider the information less trustworthy than if it had been found scrawled on a discarded burger wrapper stuck to the wall of a bus station. They have been trained to tell the customer ANYTHING that comes to mind, rather than provide accurate information or ever say "I don't know that"

It is far too common to catch them in a lie, for it to be anything other than corporate instruction from above. It's too much to call it just isolated incompetence of the individual.

A sad moment was when the service manager had to pull my car out of the bay and bring it to the parking lot while I was picking it up. The alleyway is slim and due to the lack of USS, he did a 20 point turn which could have been done in two steps. Can't trust the new "vision display" it's just not that accurate.

I know that my 2016 X still uses the USS for parking assist measurements (and I've checked them with a tape measure and the numbers are pretty close!) so if the programmers have decided to stop using something that is INSTALLED ALREADY for the doors... Then they are morons.

The advantage of technology is having MORE information available, not less. This isn't a human with human limitations. It is a rolling data collection system with ESP - if they choose to use it.

I have a 2023 Model X LR that just downloaded 2024.2.3 and surprise surprise the door opening seems to have been fixed. Now the door opens wide enough for me to step right into the car without touching the door.

We shall see if this keeps up out this was just a rare occasion. I'll keep u posted

Well, I may have spoke to soon. I went out today and probably got in and out of the X at least 5 times and the door NEVER fully opened for me. ALL openings were the couple inch opening with the additional drag on trying to pull it open to get in.

Sorry I got your hopes up. I guess it's a crap shoot as to how it opens. The stars were probably not aligned with Fremont today.

If you turn off the automatic drivers door functionality, do you still have to use the motor? In other words do you still have to use or fight the motor in the most manual mode possible?
Yes - has nothing to do with it. Pushing the button on the door to eject is the same as it doing it automatically with regards to fighting with it (I only know this because I have auto-open disabled in the garage because every time I go in the garage to get in the fridge it would pop the door open lol). You just never know what you're going to get, fight-wise. Sometimes it pops open and releases it's grip immediately, sometimes you fight with it. This is the biggest gripe. Sometimes if you wait too long it will auto close on you, too. I was able to demonstrate that to Tesla service but then again it's also intermittent. The force of which it auto-closes is a bit scary because if your fingers are in the way kiss them goodbye.

Yes - has nothing to do with it. Pushing the button on the door to eject is the same as it doing it automatically with regards to fighting with it (I only know this because I have auto-open disabled in the garage because every time I go in the garage to get in the fridge it would pop the door open lol). You just never know what you're going to get, fight-wise. Sometimes it pops open and releases it's grip immediately, sometimes you fight with it. This is the biggest gripe. Sometimes if you wait too long it will auto close on you, too. I was able to demonstrate that to Tesla service but then again it's also intermittent. The force of which it auto-closes is a bit scary because if your fingers are in the way kiss them goodbye.
Hmm. I’m a Y owner pondering an X switch and this gives me pause. I can see how X owners would be frustrated.

If you own the Y... Stay with it. There isn't that much size difference, but you get 500 more electric motors in things that don't NEED to be overcomplicated. You have actual door handles, that's a good thing.

I mean the thing has powered headrests! Then there's the ridiculous rear doors and the glass roof that has permanently-attached rubber that degrades in sunlight b/c they couldn't be arsed to choose a UV-stable gasket material.... There are a lot of just DUMB choices on it.

I love the X but the list of annoyances that didn't need to be, is not short.

If you own the Y... Stay with it. There isn't that much size difference, but you get 500 more electric motors in things that don't NEED to be overcomplicated. You have actual door handles, that's a good thing.

I mean the thing has powered headrests! Then there's the ridiculous rear doors and the glass roof that has permanently-attached rubber that degrades in sunlight b/c they couldn't be arsed to choose a UV-stable gasket material.... There are a lot of just DUMB choices on it.

I love the X but the list of annoyances that didn't need to be, is not short.
I’ve made statements to that effect here about my MYP and am also annoyed by the door issues and to top it off my MXP had to go to service 4 times to get delivery issues and a defect solved. All that said I don’t find myself ever wanting get in the Y over the X. The X is just a better ride. Is it tens of thousands better - no. But if money not an issue I’d get the X especially the tax edition if you qualify for one (I did not and needed 6 seater and could not resist MXP w FSD transfer and 1000k loyalty discount when msrp was 90 in any color).

See, I went a completely different direction: I drive the shizzle out of my cars, so I went with older that had FUSC and AP1 highway.... I wasn't so much concerned about the battery or the drive unit b/c I understand how to evaluate that.

The only thing it lacked for my usage was the folding second row, b/c I NEED that space. I got the 7 seat and then bought a folding and sliding bench from a 2020 7 seat (the 5 doesn't slide) and after some creativity and cajoling a service center - it works great for me. The issues though have been unexpected and expensive. Problem with a falcon door, $1500. MCU2 screen dies without warning - they WANTED to try charging me more than the upgrade price, ($2300!) but then I got them to warranty that. The MCU itself worked fine, just the screen was dead. Problem with the driver's door... Oh, you have to "upgrade" to the new doors, and that's BOTH doors... $800. New "upgrade" door has a problem... Oh that's a DIFFERENT part of the door, that's another $1200.

Most of the issues and reasons it has been expensive can be traced back to the service center and their "replace everything (or just charge to replace everything!) and charge full price always!" methodology.