Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3 charge port light stays solid blue after connecting charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm running into an issue where it seems to happen once a month. When I plug a charger into the charge port, the Tesla "T" goes from white to solid blue and stays solid blue and does not start charging. The screen says stopped charging and it won't let me select the start charging button that is also on the screen. It's happened at a Tesla supercharger at two different locations on the same day and that ended up with my car getting towed to overnight drop off at a service center. The next morning they could not replicate. Last month, I tried charging at 3 different chargers at my place of work (L2 chargers). I waited 4 hours and tried again and was able to charge. It happened again today. I tried two different chargers at work and same thing, solid blue Tesla "T". In all cases, I didn't/don't have scheduled charging set and in all cases, the weather was above 50 degrees. Each time, I've tried different chargers. The first two times, the issue seemed to resolve itself. We'll see if today's issue resolves itself.

BTW, I scheduled a service appointment, but they referred me to energy technical support. So then after speaking to technical support, they referred me back to making a service appointment.

Reactions: Drehrlenmeyer
Hi there,

Did you try rebooting - brake + 2 buttons? Was there a software update recently that may have caused this?
I did try this the first two times as this is what the tech instructed me to do the first time, but it didn't help so I didn't bother yesterday.

UPDATE
So I left my M3 parked for about 5 hours then tried again to plug and charge. It worked! And it worked again this morning. I don't know what is causing this, but it seems to resolve itself if I just leave it parked for several hours.

It has been happening to me for over a year, and no one can seem to diagnose it.
Well, it happened again to me on June 8 (4th time). This time I scheduled service and kept the appointment. At the appointment on June 20, they could not replicate as expected. As a proactive measure, they replaced port lid, charging port and charging port ECU. So this morning, I drove into work and plugged in for the first time since the appointment. Same issue!!! This is the 5th time since January. Solid blue port light. Tried two different types of chargers (not a supercharger). @Drehrlenmeyer, did we buy lemons?!?! Not sure what to do at this point not sure what Tesla can do. Made another service appointment. My car is only 6 months old. So frustrated. I'll try again in a few hours here at work. I'm pretty sure it'll work, but even if it does, the car is just unreliable at this point if it keeps happening.

This is the 5th time since January. Solid blue port light. Tried two different types of chargers (not a supercharger).

Are you sure you don't have any scheduled charging options configured in the vehicle? (I don't recall if they are profile specific, so make sure to check all profiles, including Easy Entry if you use that.)

The manual suggest that is likely the problem:

• BLUE: The charger is connected, but Model 3 is not charging (such as when scheduled charging is active).

As a last resort you could try a factory reset to make sure all the options are cleared out.

Or is there any chance that the charger you are plugged in to has some kind of schedule or load shedding configured?

I checked each time to see if I had scheduled charging. I confirmed I did not. I do the same routine every morning about the same time, so I'm at a loss to why this is happening intermittently. And I've changed profiles like you mentioned. I haven't tried the factory reset. I might try that. The chargers here at work are connected 24/7. I just tried charging again after leaving it parked for about 6 hours. Same type of charger as before, and now it's charging. Taking any long trips in this car is now in question as I feel like I'm gambling whether it will take a charge. The first long trip I made was to Las Vegas. Half way there I charged no problem. In the evening in Las Vegas is when I first encountered this issue (and at two different supercharger locations). That evening was horrible....needed a tow, left overnight at service center. Had to Uber for a day. And they couldn't replicate it.

Well, it happened again to me on June 8 (4th time). This time I scheduled service and kept the appointment. At the appointment on June 20, they could not replicate as expected. As a proactive measure, they replaced port lid, charging port and charging port ECU. So this morning, I drove into work and plugged in for the first time since the appointment. Same issue!!! This is the 5th time since January. Solid blue port light. Tried two different types of chargers (not a supercharger). @Drehrlenmeyer, did we buy lemons?!?! Not sure what to do at this point not sure what Tesla can do. Made another service appointment. My car is only 6 months old. So frustrated. I'll try again in a few hours here at work. I'm pretty sure it'll work, but even if it does, the car is just unreliable at this point if it keeps happening.
smrM3, I have no idea. Today marked the 12th time my MS won't charge since purchasing it one year ago. I have tried all of the things including logging completely out of the app, changing various [hone permission settings, replacing the wall charger, and yes, to all of the well-intended folks who remind us to check if we have charging scheduled - we thought of that. We do not have charging scheduled. Hell, we can't even get charging to work so much as schedule it!

As far as the car goes, I've had the charging port replaced and the entire body harness replaced. All just based on ideas I guess, as they really can never reproduce the problem and really don't seem to know what else to do.

I've heard that phone updates can interfere with charging, but I don't know how to go about troubleshooting this. Another remote possibility I've heard has to do with the gen 3 charger getting a weak wireless signal? The frustrating thing is that Tesla does not provide support for these things. They troubleshoot the car, and they troubleshoot the charger. Beyond that, we are supposed to figure it out ourselves?

If I recall correctly, my charge port LED turns solid blue as does my Gen 3 WC if the charge limit is set below the current SOC of my car. This is without any scheduled charging set.
Ex: Charge Limit is 50% and the car is at 51%. The link is good but there is nothing to do.

They troubleshoot the car, and they troubleshoot the charger. Beyond that, we are supposed to figure it out ourselves?
To a certain extent, since sometimes the fault is due to the electrical wiring or third party EVSEs. However, in your case, since you've had the problem both at home and away, I think it really IS on Tesla to correctly diagnose and fix your car. I encourage you to write up as detailed an account of your problems and the repair attempts as you can, and give Tesla one last chance to fix your car. Or you can just take that same write up and visit a Lemon Law attorney and see if you've met the requirements at this point for relief that way.

To a certain extent, since sometimes the fault is due to the electrical wiring or third party EVSEs. However, in your case, since you've had the problem both at home and away, I think it really IS on Tesla to correctly diagnose and fix your car. I encourage you to write up as detailed an account of your problems and the repair attempts as you can, and give Tesla one last chance to fix your car. Or you can just take that same write up and visit a Lemon Law attorney and see if you've met the requirements at this point for relief that way.
Thanks davewill! There is one more option, however. After a few months of checking, the exact same model came up for sale in my area. I just put a down payment on it and will trade it for troublesome one. It's an expensive way to troubleshoot, but at least I can rule out the car if it happens with the new one.

Thanks davewill! There is one more option, however. After a few months of checking, the exact same model came up for sale in my area. I just put a down payment on it and will trade it for troublesome one. It's an expensive way to troubleshoot, but at least I can rule out the car if it happens with the new one.
That's assuming you're not just buying someone else's problem.

Well, that didn't work out, so documenting all of it and sending written notice. @smrM3 - how are you doing with yours?
It's happened a couple of times since I last posted. I had an appointment July 6. I supplied the dates and times to the Tech and they researched the timestamps and concluded that the power conversion system is having a timing issue when communicating with the charge port. He also stated that it is a firmware bug and sent my VIN to the engineers who work on these problems. So unfortunately, I have to hope that future software updates will fix the problem. Coincidentally, I just received and installed an update yesterday. 2023.20.8, so we'll see. I must say that even though I couldn't get an immediate fix, I was pleased with the communication between me and the Tesla staff.