Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Flickering Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Picked up my new model 3 yesterday. All looked good at pickup. When I got home, my fiancé was filming my arrival and I noticed that on the video both the matrix headlights were flashing on and off really quickly the whole time I was drive. Almost like the flickering you get when the frame rate of the camera disagrees with the refresh rate of a bulb. The catch is, she could see this flashing with her eyes too. These are the matrix headlights.

I’m wondering if there is a setting for this behavior or if I somehow managed to pick up a faulty car? With two headlights with the same issue?

Here is the video:

Thanks!

The catch is, she could see this flashing with her eyes too
And you are 1000% she saw this "through her eyes" and not "through her eyes while looking at whatever she was using to film?"

Its almost assuredly the "cameras filming lights refresh rate" thing you discussed, unless you are the first person to post here about defective matrix lights on a new model 3 due to lights flickering.

Reactions: outdoors
And you are 1000% she saw this "through her eyes" and not "through her eyes while looking at whatever she was using to film?"

Its almost assuredly the "cameras filming lights refresh rate" thing you discussed, unless you are the first person to post here about defective matrix lights on a new model 3 due to lights flickering.
What JJ said. 100% Ditto

Thank you! She seems pretty set she saw this with her own eyes especially towards the end of the video where you see the flickering escalate as the car comes to a stop. I am on vacation for a couple of weeks but plan to test it again and see if I can see it. I started the car up yesterday in the garage and saw no flicker at all.

Thank you! She seems pretty set she saw this with her own eyes especially towards the end of the video where you see the flickering escalate as the car comes to a stop. I am on vacation for a couple of weeks but plan to test it again and see if I can see it. I started the car up yesterday in the garage and saw no flicker at all.
Brain playing tricks if looking at screen and car.

Many LED lights flash, but too fast to see.

Bumping because this is happening to me - 2023 Model 3 P w/matrix. However, I've only noticed it so far in the heat of the day (110ºF/46ºC) when I pull into my garage the headlights turn on.

Seems like this is something that would be caught during warm weather testing? If heat really is a factor.

Reactions: spata
Same exact thing happened today with our 2023 model 3.

Hot day, pulled into garage, lights came on and went crazy

Mobile appointment scheduled for 4 days from now - I’ll update this thread afterwards.

Last edited:
Update: Tesla sent software update 2023.26.8 to the model 3 (was running 2023.26.7), so I’ll see if the issue resurfaces. Asked them to send the update to my model S also running 2023.26.7 - which they did as well. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• IMG_9120.jpeg
    IMG_9120.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
Same exact thing happened today with our 2023 model 3.

Hot day, pulled into garage, lights came on and went crazy

Mobile appointment scheduled for 4 days from now - I’ll update this thread afterwards.
Thanks for the info. I am 100% confident the behavior is caused by heat. I can only replicate if the car has been outside in 110F temps. 100F or even 105F is fine.

Good to know that it can be addressed by firmware.

Even if it couldn’t be fixed, the scenario where it gets that hot, and headlights are needed, should be zero.

EDIT in case it wasn’t clear (and the video can be confusing) the DRLs are fine/no flickering. It’s just the matrix headlights.

Update: Tesla sent software update 2023.26.8 to the model 3 (was running 2023.26.7), so I’ll see if the issue resurfaces. Asked them to send the update to my model S also running 2023.26.7 - which they did as well. Fingers crossed
Any updates? 2023.26.8 didn't 100% resolve for me. Car was outside for 30+ min on a hot (105ºF) day and there was flickering when I pulled into my garage.

The outside of the headlights felt very hot, as expected.

Any updates? 2023.26.8 didn't 100% resolve for me. Car was outside for 30+ min on a hot (105ºF) day and there was flickering when I pulled into my garage.

The outside of the headlights felt very hot, as expected.
Since the software update, the issue hasn’t occurred. That isn’t to say that I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

It does sound like something is faulty with your lights, that no software can fix - if you’re under warranty perhaps you can get them swapped out

Since the software update, the issue hasn’t occurred. That isn’t to say that I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

It does sound like something is faulty with your lights, that no software can fix - if you’re under warranty perhaps you can get them swapped out
I'm not sure if it's worth the headache. It would be difficult for Tesla to reproduce, as the car needs to be sitting in ~110ºF+ temps for a sustained period, then quickly be in a scenario where the lights must come on before the headlights naturally cool off. It's not a safety issue.

I'm not sure if it's worth the headache. It would be difficult for Tesla to reproduce, as the car needs to be sitting in ~110ºF+ temps for a sustained period, then quickly be in a scenario where the lights must come on before the headlights naturally cool off. It's not a safety issue.
That would be easy for them to reproduce here since at the service center your car will likely sit out in 116 degree temps all day before they roll it in - then even if it’s too bright in the service center to trigger your lights automatically they should be able to turn them on manually and see the erratic light show

That would be easy for them to reproduce here since at the service center your car will likely sit out in 116 degree temps all day before they roll it in - then even if it’s too bright in the service center to trigger your lights automatically they should be able to turn them on manually and see the erratic light show
Well I was able to capture it on video today for ticket submission, and schedule a mobile appointment for next week. I wasn't keen on the idea of actually taking it into the service center, but since they can come to me, I don't have much to lose.

Well I was able to capture it on video today for ticket submission, and schedule a mobile appointment for next week. I wasn't keen on the idea of actually taking it into the service center, but since they can come to me, I don't have much to lose.
In my experience …. Mobile service has always been lazier and quicker to dismiss issues (to avoid doing the work? To avoid doing warranty work?)… that said, I’m close to a service center so that’s become my preference - comparatively I get better results there.

Hope things are different for you

In my experience …. Mobile service has always been lazier and quicker to dismiss issues (to avoid doing the work? To avoid doing warranty work?)… that said, I’m close to a service center so that’s become my preference - comparatively I get better results there.

Hope things are different for you
Mobile service just swapped out both lights. Zero hassles. Since it's only 80ºF today, there's no way to test to see if the issue is resolved.

Mobile service just swapped out both lights. Zero hassles. Since it's only 80ºF today, there's no way to test to see if the issue is resolved.
Fingers crossed— I’d anticipate between the replacement and the software, your days of suffering this are over. That said, if it resurfaces, at least it’s documented.

Where I live (AZ) it’s been consistently over 105 degrees daily for months - I only encountered an issue that one time, and it seems the software update fixed it. So in your case, I’m assuming the light fixtures were the culprit and your chances of having the issue again, with replacement parts from a new batch are low.

Reactions: turns2stone
Mine don’t - I hand wash and I wouldn’t tolerate that; have Tesla address it
I have finger prints on both headlights on my 23 M3P, right side is not that noticeable, replaced left side. better but still have some, Will replace again before warranty. My friend pickup 23 MYP in July, both headlights have finger prints too. that is in Chicago. IL. I believe its this whole batch of lights are like that. You cant see it if the lights are OFF.