Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S is a disappointment.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree on most of your other points, but this I disagree. Or perhaps you haven't noticed? You can simply press the wiper button on the steering wheel, which activates the wiper once. But at the same time a menu appears on the dash, which you can use with the left scroll wheel. You don't even need to look at the dash, just press the button and scroll up to increase wiper speed. Can be done with keeping both hands on the steering wheel.
The part of this that drives me insane is that the button is on the right side of the wheel, but the left wheel is what controls the menu. It'd also be nice to be able to control that without having to do that extra wipe.

Reactions: dsm363
Agree on most of your other points, but this I disagree. Or perhaps you haven't noticed? You can simply press the wiper button on the steering wheel, which activates the wiper once. But at the same time a menu appears on the dash, which you can use with the left scroll wheel. You don't even need to look at the dash, just press the button and scroll up to increase wiper speed. Can be done with keeping both hands on the steering wheel.
Thank you . I might have missed it. So what's the wiper button on the steering wheel? Programming left one for wipers?

For reference, my lifetime average over almost 80k miles on my mid-2016 MS90D with 19" slipstreams was 280 Wh/mi. Very similar driving conditions and over the first 4,600 miles of ownership my 2023 MS LR with standard 19" aeros is running 300 Wh/mi.
All of your driving with your new car has been in the winter. Give it a full year. My 2023 MSLR has a measurably longer range than my 2020 MSLR.

A lot of the things the OP mentioned are concerns of mine which keep me from wanting to upgrade to a newer model S/Tesla. It's sad that coming from cars 8-9 years ago we seem to have to compromise on upgrading which should be the opposite. I don't want to have to buy EAP when my AP1 could do manual lane changes with the stalk, auto park w/o cameras, etc. Also like their half baked implementation of HW4 and it not being fully functional on cars. Only Tesla can seem to get away with selling a half baked car and making you pay for things like EAP with no ETA on when functionality will work. EAP is standard features on 90% of cars. I get the notion of cars can get better with OTA updates but selling you a car with features that should work rolling off the dealer lot should be common practice.
I mean Porsche will sell you a car and then charge you to remove things so 🤷

All of your driving with your new car has been in the winter. Give it a full year. My 2023 MSLR has a measurably longer range than my 2020 MSLR.
I'm well aware of the seasonality influence. I'm also aware that always best to judge over longer periods. I've trended energy consumption not only on my prior Tesla by all my ICE vehicles over the past 40 years.

I do have full energy usage statistics on my prior MS90D from July 2016 until when I sold it beginning of Jan 2024. One of the things I've actually do with my data is slice is by calendar quarter, so I'm well aware that my average usage in winter, say Q1 is very different than in summer/fall, say Q3. However, even when I look at my current end Dec through mid-Mar data on my new 2023 MSLR, I'm not seeing any significant improvement over that prior 7 year Q1 average of my 2016 MS90D

When I look at the image which @sorka posted, it's a 131 mile drive over 2:36 min, so an average trip speed of right at 50 mph. I agree at those type of speeds I can see ave energy consumption numbers in 235-250 Wh/mi range. However, my comments are around my typical long range interstate conditions, so sustained driving at 73-74 mph. That's where I'm not seeing any indications of improvement over my older MS90D, with the only real improvements in useable range being from the increased battery capacity, both overall size of battery and also a brand new battery versus my MS90D which was around about 8.5-9% range degradation from new.

I'm also aware my data at the moment might be negatively impacted by my car still being somewhat new. There's a reason that all vehicle emissions/fuel consumption testing isn't run until after cars go through an initial 4k mile break-in period. That's not just ICE engine related impacts, but also friction losses in other parts of the drivetrain such as gear sets, bearings, etc. I'm getting to the stage where I'd expect I should be largely past that, so curious about whether I'll see some improvement in a couple of trips I have planned around the end of this month.

Now if someone has specific data to share for the type of highway cruise conditions I'm referencing, I'd love to see that as a point of comparison.

Reactions: TFCooper3
...with the only real improvements in useable range being from the increased battery capacity, both overall size of battery and also a brand new battery versus my MS90D which was around about 8.5-9% range degradation from new.
A couple of improvements (in the past seven years) come to mind. First, my car is heated with a heat pump instead of resistance heating. Here in Massachusetts and Maine, that makes a difference. Second, Tesla's electric motors have become more efficient. There have probably been other improvements as well. I assume you're correct, that batteries have become more efficient, in terms of capacity/kg.

Someone should check me on this, but AFAIK battery capacity has not increased from the 2020 pre-refresh model year (my old S) to the 2023 model year.
According to EPA numbers, my range has gone up by about 15%. I realize EPA mileage estimates are high, but since they're protocol-consistent from year to year they are useful for comparisons.
I do notice the difference just driving around.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363
not coming from a previous Tesla but for comparison sake my 22 MSLR used 2-3% less battery over my commute home changing to the 19” aero wheels vs the day before on the 21” arachnids over the same drive, similar traffic and same weather conditions. I did not expect that significant of an increase. I’m beginning to see additional benefits to the 19s besides cheaper tires and lighter weight for racing at the track

Reactions: SO16
not coming from a previous Tesla but for comparison sake my 22 MSLR used 2-3% less battery over my commute home changing to the 19” aero wheels vs the day before on the 21” arachnids over the same drive, similar traffic and same weather conditions. I did not expect that significant of an increase. I’m beginning to see additional benefits to the 19s besides cheaper tires and lighter weight for racing at the track
19’s also hold up better when hitting potholes. More sidewall.

When I look at the image which @sorka posted, it's a 131 mile drive over 2:36 min, so an average trip speed of right at 50 mph. I agree at those type of speeds I can see ave energy consumption numbers in 235-250 Wh/mi range. However, my comments are around my typical long range interstate conditions, so sustained driving at 73-74 mph. That's where I'm not seeing any indications of improvement over my older MS90D, with the only real improvements in useable range being from the increased battery capacity, both overall size of battery and also a brand new battery versus my MS90D which was around about 8.5-9% range degradation from new.

You apparently didn't read my comment. My speed was 5 mph above the speed limit. The trip included 5 miles of through town stop lights which too 20 minutes and two spots on the freeway where I was nearly stopped for 5 minutes each. My average speed on the freeway most of the time was 70 to 72 mph.

This screen shot same trip in same cold weather but 14 minutes faster because there were fewer stops. Still got 255 wh/mile.
20240320_212011.jpg_compressed (1).JPEG

You apparently didn't read my comment. My speed was 5 mph above the speed limit. The trip included 5 miles of through town stop lights which too 20 minutes and two spots on the freeway where I was nearly stopped for 5 minutes each. My average speed on the freeway most of the time was 70 to 72 mph.

This screen shot same trip in same cold weather but 14 minutes faster because there were fewer stops. Still got 255 wh/mile.
View attachment 1030756
I did read your original post, which I've quoted below and was what I posted my response to. No where did it make any mention of your driving speed, being stopped, or any information on traffic. Hence, I did not have any information to go on other than the simple computation of average vehicle speed.

I averaged 235 wh/mile in my 2022 MSLR loaner going home last night 131 miles.
Averaged 233 wh/mile driving back to Tesla service the same 131 miles. Temps were 45F starting out at 7 am this morning and rose to 60F by the time I got to Fremont. I lost 1.7% due to headwinds. I have no doubt that summer driving conditions would see a significant improvement even over this.

I'm glad you are seeing the Wh/mi numbers your are seeing. However, that does not match what I'm seeing. The one thing I had not gotten around to doing until just two weeks ago was removing my front license plate bracket. So unless that was making a massive disruption to aero over the front of my car, I'm not sure what can explain the dramatic differences in our experience.

Again, from direct comparison to my 2016 MS90D which I have 7.5 years of experience and data on in what I consider very similar driving conditions, I'm just not seeing the claimed improvements in interstate cruising driving conditions.

I did read your original post, which I've quoted below and was what I posted my response to. No where did it make any mention of your driving speed, being stopped, or any information on traffic. Hence, I did not have any information to go on other than the simple computation of average vehicle speed.

But I did state my average speeds. You made an assumption based on the elapsed time that my average speed was lower than it was. The elapsed time includes time that is stopped and the typical start and end mileages of trips where you going through lights and stop signs.

My P85D consumption under the same circumstances was in the 290 range. Now I was able to get a 258 wh / mile once in my P85D but that was in the summer with no winds and temps in the high 70s and that was me going the speed limit rather than 5 mph over. It'll be interesting to see what I get in the MSP under those conditions.

But I did state my average speeds. You made an assumption based on the elapsed time that my average speed was lower than it was. The elapsed time includes time that is stopped and the typical start and end mileages of trips where you going through lights and stop signs.

My P85D consumption under the same circumstances was in the 290 range. Now I was able to get a 258 wh / mile once in my P85D but that was in the summer with no winds and temps in the high 70s and that was me going the speed limit rather than 5 mph over. It'll be interesting to see what I get in the MSP under those conditions.
Sorry, Not sure if there's something going on with how this site is showing posts in timestamp order for me, but at the time I made my post that initially replied to your trip data, the only item post of yours I was seeing was your original post with the single photo and no statements around traffic or your actual driving speed. If you posted others before today, I can't explain why they do not show from me in this thread in timeline order.

I'm not saying you're experience is wrong. I'm just saying it's not matching mine.

I will say there also was a big difference between the P models with the large rear drive unit and the non-performance D models from my experience having driving P90D as loaner vehicles vs. my 90D with non-staggered 19" wheels. So the fact that your results with your 2015 P85DL was so much higher is not surprising to me at all.

Hopefully I'll see my car continue to break-in more and my typical consumption values decrease. But I stand by my comments at so far, I've not seen a substantial improvement compared to by first car.

Enjoy your car.

Sorry, Not sure if there's something going on with how this site is showing posts in timestamp order for me, but at the time I made my post that initially replied to your trip data, the only item post of yours I was seeing was your original post with the single photo and no statements around traffic or your actual driving speed. If you posted others before today, I can't explain why they do not show from me in this thread in timeline order.

I'm not saying you're experience is wrong. I'm just saying it's not matching mine.

I will say there also was a big difference between the P models with the large rear drive unit and the non-performance D models from my experience having driving P90D as loaner vehicles vs. my 90D with non-staggered 19" wheels. So the fact that your results with your 2015 P85DL was so much higher is not surprising to me at all.

Hopefully I'll see my car continue to break-in more and my typical consumption values decrease. But I stand by my comments at so far, I've not seen a substantial improvement compared to by first car.

Enjoy your car.

I see the confusion now and it's my bad. This discussion overlapped in two different threads.

But the other thing to take away from this is if you've ever seen this screen shot before, the average mph is always lower than the non stop and go traveling if you just divide total mileage by total trip hours.