Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S LR - FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks just submitted a service request to ensure if my VIN is correctly setup to receive OTA.
Curious if anything came of your service request. Traded in my 2017 X for a 2023 MSLR about a month ago. Got upgraded to 20123.2.10 at pickup. I then purchased FSD (wanted it paid on my credit card) but I've been waiting in line since. So, I'm in the same boat. Anyone has any idea if/how more recent software versions get FSD since 23.2.10 is newer than the last firmware version with FSD?

Curious if anything came of your service request. Traded in my 2017 X for a 2023 MSLR about a month ago. Got upgraded to 20123.2.10 at pickup. I then purchased FSD (wanted it paid on my credit card) but I've been waiting in line since. So, I'm in the same boat. Anyone has any idea if/how more recent software versions get FSD since 23.2.10 is newer than the last firmware version with FSD?
I received a very disappointing reply from the agent:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service regarding your software concern. We would like to congratulate you on your new Tesla! After review, we have confirmed your vehicle is still on a factory software release. Vehicles are delivered with these releases and are sent a new batch within a few months post-delivery. The software will automatically deploy to your vehicle as updates are released in batches.

We thank you for your time, and value your feedback which has been forwarded to the appropriate teams.

Visit our Support Pages for additional information on Software Updates and how to ensure successful downloads.

Thank you for accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy,

Daniel M. | Tesla Support
www.tesla.com/support

That's the way it's always been. Updates are sent in a random fashion over 1-2 months. No one has figured out the order of it, and I've gotten some updates days after the release and sometimes 6+ weeks later. There is some small risk that an update has a problem, and by sending out updates first to employees, and later in batches, they get feedback quickly if there is a critical issue and can stop further updates. I've only seen this happen a few times in the 10 years I've been driving Teslas where an update is halted, but it's a good way to reduce risks.

In theory, if there was enough internet bandwidth, Tesla could send out an update to all 3+ million cars at the same time. I'm not sure their servers could handle that. It's a second reason why updates are distributed over some number of weeks.

Note he said " Vehicles are delivered with these releases and are sent a new batch within a few months post-delivery." That totally didn't make sense to me. Why would it take a few months?
Hmmm… I imagine it’s not always the case. I got a firmware update a few minutes after being handed the keys to my new Model S. And it was one of the latest firmware versions at the time. But now I seem to be on a diet. Been a month and a few firmware versions have passed me and I still have not been let in the FSD Beta.

I suspect updates are customized to the specific versions of components in your vehicle, and their current firmware versions.

A new car may have newer equipment - new electric motors and inverters were just introduced for 3 and Y, for example. S and X have new cameras and Autopilot 4 computers.

Factory software clearly has to support the new stuff. It probably takes a while to integrate that updated code into the general production tree.

Your car software will probably not get updated until either:

- Your car’s version of Factory software is merged into the general software tree, or

- Your car’s vintage of Factory software is updated to address an important issue.

I don’t have direct knowledge of Tesla’s software practices. Extrapolating from experience with many similar situations.

I suspect updates are customized to the specific versions of components in your vehicle, and their current firmware versions.

A new car may have newer equipment - new electric motors and inverters were just introduced for 3 and Y, for example. S and X have new cameras and Autopilot 4 computers.

Factory software clearly has to support the new stuff. It probably takes a while to integrate that updated code into the general production tree.

Your car software will probably not get updated until either:

- Your car’s version of Factory software is merged into the general software tree, or

- Your car’s vintage of Factory software is updated to address an important issue.

I don’t have direct knowledge of Tesla’s software practices. Extrapolating from experience with many similar situations.
Not sure based on what they rolls the software out... but I was very surprised to get the update today (I was expecting a few days after the release but tesla scope said its a same day delivery....so I guess everyone who had a version like me(2022.44.100) should have it) Finally my wait is over.