Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S Road Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bringing it back to road noise, I used the Decibel X app on my phone to get a reading on local roads, recorded 68-70 db on our 2023 MS. Our Lexus SUV recorded 58-62 db on the same roads. On a well-paved freeway though, it drops down to 65 for the MS at least but seems like there’s some room for improvement here.

Anyone have some advice on DIY sound deadening? Most of it comes from the wheel wells it seems, less so wind.

I am huge car nut that spends way too much time on everything related to cars, and one thing I can tell you is that many people with many brands and models of cars have tried to make their noisy cars quieter on their own, and no one seems to be able to find a DIY solution to fix a poorly engineered chassis. I have seem people rip their entire interiors out to put heavy sound deadening on every piece of sheet metal, including the doors, and not making much difference. I wish Sandy Monroe would take a little time off from shilling for Tesla to examine and explain what Tesla is doing wrong in their chassis engineering to make their cars so noisy compared to other brands in the same price range.

If you want a quiet, luxurious car, your only good solution is to do what I did. Sell your poorly engineered Tesla and buy a real luxury car that is quiet and smooth from the factory.

Reactions: Georgesb2
Yes, of course.

It's only the ENTIRE REASON that Tesla exists, and it's "bullshit?"

And we have a poster here that so hates Tesla that he's purchased a GHG-spewing Jaguar, and then posted about why it's swell to dump GHG's forever because chemistry and physics are all some sort of hoax or scam . . . .

Thank you for our insightful, erudite addition to this thread.

You're a misguided soul. You are driving a Tesla because of Elon. Elon just said publicly in Italy that the whole climate change things is way overblown. Listen to Elon.

Plus, it's very clear that EV's are probably not the answer to anything. Exxon's CEO said in an interview that if every car in the world goes EV by 2040, that oil consumption on this planet will drop to 2013 levels. Guess what, we used a lot of oil in 2013 as a planet, so will EV's solve the "renewable" part of oil and gas. Nope. Will it solve emission? Not looking good since it's a fact that EV's cause more harm to the planet to create than ICE cars, and because the batteries die with mile AND/OR time, your breakeven doesn't look so good. And worst of all, EV's create more tire dust, which is more harmful to the planet than tailpipe emissions.

In summary, you are killing the planet by driving an EV. Stop killing the planet, TSLA Pilot!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and teko
You're a misguided soul. You are driving a Tesla because of Elon. Elon just said publicly in Italy that the whole climate change things is way overblown. Listen to Elon.

Plus, it's very clear that EV's are probably not the answer to anything. Exxon's CEO said in an interview that if every car in the world goes EV by 2040, that oil consumption on this planet will drop to 2013 levels. Guess what, we used a lot of oil in 2013 as a planet, so will EV's solve the "renewable" part of oil and gas. Nope. Will it solve emission? Not looking good since it's a fact that EV's cause more harm to the planet to create than ICE cars, and because the batteries die with mile AND/OR time, your breakeven doesn't look so good. And worst of all, EV's create more tire dust, which is more harmful to the planet than tailpipe emissions.

In summary, you are killing the planet by driving an EV. Stop killing the planet, TSLA Pilot!!!

Clearly there is only one solution: Reduce human population on earth to 500 million! 👀

If you want a quiet, luxurious car, your only good solution is to do what I did. Sell your poorly engineered Tesla and buy a real luxury car that is quiet and smooth from the factory.
Appreciate the take and that’s why we love our other car as well.

I think, like anything in life, it just comes down to what we individually value. There’s a lot to love and a lot to despise about the MS, but for what I appreciate and my circumstances, I’m willing to put up with a little more noise as a give for the fun/well-engineered parts of the car.

But I wouldn’t mind some creative approaches from some seasoned owners on how to make it a little quieter, if possible.

Yes!

Don't worry, be happy! Do what you want because it's ALL ABOUT YOU, as it should be!

Reactions: Yelobird
  • Funny
Reactions: teko
Man I do believe in climate change unlike the moron above, but reading your posts makes me want to just light a few barrels of oil on fire for the hell of it.
Yep, add another one to the club--with comments like this it appears that our species doesn't deserve this planet after all:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

Reactions: Yelobird
Yep, add another one to the club--with comments like this it appears that our species doesn't deserve this planet after all:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill
The irony of quoting Churchill when arguing for the benefit of the planet.

I suggest you read up on Ignaz Semmelweis if you’re actually interested in becoming an effective advocate for your cause. How you communicate is just as important, if not more so, than what you’re trying to convey.

Of course if all you want to do is be smug with your holier than thou attitude, carry on.

The irony of quoting Churchill when arguing for the benefit of the planet.

I suggest you read up on Ignaz Semmelweis if you’re actually interested in becoming an effective advocate for your cause. How you communicate is just as important, if not more so, than what you’re trying to convey.

Of course if all you want to do is be smug with your holier than thou attitude, carry on.
Yes, this is the path: NEVER ADDRESS THE CONTENT OF THE MESSAGE if it conflicts with your worldview.

Always blame the messenger for how the message is delivered.

Got it.

Thank you for sharing.

I would highly recommend getting a 4 wheel alignment check. Aligning things from the factory has never been a strong point for Tesla. If your wheels are not aligned correctly, they will make more road noise and wear out your tires prematurely.
Our 2023 MSLR+ wanders from line to line, as if it does not have a feel for the road.
We took it in for a -4- wheel alignment & rotation, when new, but it didn't help.
We have the 19" Continental tires, we have 4k on it already
I guess I'll wait for the 6k mile tire alignment & rotation

Our 2023 MSLR+ wanders from line to line, as if it does not have a feel for the road.
We took it in for a -4- wheel alignment & rotation, when new, but it didn't help.
We have the 19" Continental tires, we have 4k on it already
I guess I'll wait for the 6k mile tire alignment & rotation

Wandering that much means something is loose in your suspension or chassis. Aside from not being that great at aligning things, sometimes Tesla forgets to tighten important things. You know, brand new car company can't be expected to tighten everything and don't forget whataboutism.... On my Model 3, it would pull during acceleration and I found loose bolts in the rear suspension on my own that fixed the problem. Given how incompetent they proved to me that they are, I serious doubt Tesla could have ever found that problem on their own.

Wandering that much means something is loose in your suspension or chassis. Aside from not being that great at aligning things, sometimes Tesla forgets to tighten important things. You know, brand new car company can't be expected to tighten everything and don't forget whataboutism.... On my Model 3, it would pull during acceleration and I found loose bolts in the rear suspension on my own that fixed the problem. Given how incompetent they proved to me that they are, I serious doubt Tesla could have ever found that problem on their own.
I sure hope not because I trust the team to check for these things!!
The car still does not feel 'planted' it helps if I have it in AP because then, I don't have to fight it
We lost our FSD because our trade didn't fall in the transfer window. Missed it by one month!
A lot of money wasted-

I sure hope not because I trust the team to check for these things!!
The car still does not feel 'planted' it helps if I have it in AP because then, I don't have to fight it
We lost our FSD because our trade didn't fall in the transfer window. Missed it by one month!
A lot of money wasted-

Maybe your SC's are better than the ones in Houston. Here, they will fight you to the death before even admitting there is a problem, and they'll use the argument it's normal because all their cars suck equally. But when they finally lose one of those battles, they screw up the repair. I had one situation where they forgot to put back 10 fasteners after doing a horribly wrong alignment, so I wouldn't expect them to be able to figure out how to tighten suspension bolts.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot