Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S Road Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a new 2023 Model S LR. I haven’t driven it much yet, but there seems to be a lot of road noise, unlike my previous 2018 and 2016 Model S’s, which were relatively quiet. The new car is no quieter than my wife’s 2018 Model 3, and might be louder. It doesn’t matter whether Active Road Noise Reduction is enabled or disabled, it’s noisy either way. The tires are Continental ProContact RX TI on 19” wheels, which I don’t think I’ve had before.

Are others who upgraded from an older S hearing more road noise? Is there anything I can do about it?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I recently took delivery of a new 2023 Model S LR. I haven’t driven it much yet, but there seems to be a lot of road noise, unlike my previous 2018 and 2016 Model S’s, which were relatively quiet. The new car is no quieter than my wife’s 2018 Model 3, and might be louder. It doesn’t matter whether Active Road Noise Reduction is enabled or disabled, it’s noisy either way. The tires are Continental ProContact RX TI on 19” wheels, which I don’t think I’ve had before.

Are others who upgraded from an older S hearing more road noise? Is there anything I can do about it?
There is wind noise at high speeds. Is that what you're hearing?

Other than that, mine is much quieter than my 2021 MY, which also has wind noise.

My '21 Refresh is also quieter than my '18 S. The new model has double-paned glass and better sound insulation between panels, amongst other things. Wind noise around the front triangular windows is still there, and some people have found adjustments can help resolve if you have specific issue.

Got a new 23 plaid, it's much quieter than my 2018 S. Much. Just all around smoother, quieter. Seems a bit odd especially if it's louder. I think you can get a noise meter on iPhone can't you? Maybe use it to test? Maybe I'm wrong.

There is wind noise at high speeds. Is that what you're hearing?

Other than that, mine is much quieter than my 2021 MY, which also has wind noise.
It’s not wind noise, it’s road noise, most likely from the tires. I hear it both on and off the highway.

For those who have commented that their new S is quiet, do you have the same tires I have (Continental ProContact RX TI on 19” wheels)?

Reactions: SoCal Buzz

My 2023 MSP is noticeably quieter than my 2021 MSP. Something is wrong. If you makes you feel any better, mine is vibrating 80+ mph on highway. Already have a service appt. My 2023 is really quiet

still bothered by this. It should be so quiet you are saying to yourself, damn this car doesn't make a sound. Get it checked out. Typical Tesla. If its not noise its vibration

I scheduled a service appointment to have this checked out, in case it’s a manufacturing defect.

I would highly recommend getting a 4 wheel alignment check. Aligning things from the factory has never been a strong point for Tesla. If your wheels are not aligned correctly, they will make more road noise and wear out your tires prematurely.

I would highly recommend getting a 4 wheel alignment check. Aligning things from the factory has never been a strong point for Tesla. If your wheels are not aligned correctly, they will make more road noise and wear out your tires prematurely.
Thanks, I'll ask Tesla Service to check that. My appointment is tomorrow, so I'll update this thread after I find out what the issue is.

Well, here's a place to begin. Check for Fremont's remarkably poor build quality, beginning with the front fender NAP's.

How-To:

1. Get a bright flashlight and your cell phone.
2. Open Frunk all the way; yes, the App works for this.
3. Shine a bright flashlight at your Noise Absorption Pads (NAPs), which SHOULD be tightly affixed against the AFT wall of each front fender. They are likely not, which leads to road noise that would otherwise be absorbed. (Note: In EVERY 2022--five of five--and one of one 2023 MS's that I am very familiar with, these long pads (2 to 3' long) have been loose, flopping around inside the front fenders and also striking the side repeater wiring and camera feed lines. Not good.
4. If they are loose or missing, take photographs for both this thread and for Tesla Service so they MIGHT, EVENTUALLY, SEND A FRIGGIN' MESSAGE TO FREMONT TO INSTALL AND SECURE THEM CORRECTLY.

As an aside, after discovery of this chronic issue in 2022 I formally asked at least three Service Centers to please send a message to Fremont to address this AT THE FACTORY. As we can see with the new 2023 MSP showroom car I just looked at at the Southlake, Texas, Tesla Gallery last week, somehow communication at Tesla is so atrociously poor that the word isn't getting to anyone at Tesla that gives a damn . . . .

Tesla can be really something, eh, but what do you expect for six-figures?

Well, here's a place to begin. Check for Fremont's remarkably poor build quality, beginning with the front fender NAP's.

How-To:

1. Get a bright flashlight and your cell phone.
2. Open Frunk all the way; yes, the App works for this.
3. Shine a bright flashlight at your Noise Absorption Pads (NAPs), which SHOULD be tightly affixed against the AFT wall of each front fender. They are likely not, which leads to road noise that would otherwise be absorbed. (Note: In EVERY 2022--five of five--and one of one 2023 MS's that I am very familiar with, these long pads (2 to 3' long) have been loose, flopping around inside the front fenders and also striking the side repeater wiring and camera feed lines. Not good.
4. If they are loose or missing, take photographs for both this thread and for Tesla Service so they MIGHT, EVENTUALLY, SEND A FRIGGIN' MESSAGE TO FREMONT TO INSTALL AND SECURE THEM CORRECTLY.

As an aside, after discovery of this chronic issue in 2022 I formally asked at least three Service Centers to please send a message to Fremont to address this AT THE FACTORY. As we can see with the new 2023 MSP showroom car I just looked at at the Southlake, Texas, Tesla Gallery last week, somehow communication at Tesla is so atrociously poor that the word isn't getting to anyone at Tesla that gives a damn . . . .

Tesla can be really something, eh, but what do you expect for six-figures?

They just don't care.

My 2023 had these pads flopping around. I was busy realigning my front hood, fenders and bumpers, so it was easy enough to add removing the wheel liners so I could add a couple of dabs of clear silicon to hold them in place.

But honestly, I didn't notice much change in road noise before and after fixing those pads in place.

• Informative
Reactions: David29