Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the update and tested it immediately.
Front: distance to bikes in front of the car is 65 on the screen vs 54 in reality.
(maybe difficult to detect)
Back: distance to garage door is 42 on the screen vs 38
IMG_20230328_131344.jpg

Lol. Comanchepilot I need the USS for my Saratoga it would be easier to park in the hangar. Straight in approach! Could stop paying attention on the taxiway too. We need this!! And FSD to prevent incursions.

Having saved $20,500 (13,000 and 7500) on my MYP2023 USS be dammed. I find them annoying on my Toyota minivan as the stupid thing slams on the breaks in the garage because of a paper bag. But in todays world with little kids running around (that we can prevent injuring) and the possibility of backing up into someone I do hope they get the camera based system up to at least USS par! Cause although I find it annoying I have to admit it still serves a purpose.
One of my wife’s favorite quote she throws my way many times - “You fly boys crack me up”
(have to be a Simpson’s fan to appreciate) 😎

I’m looking forward to the update on my new MYLR with the “old” software.

Just got the update and tested it immediately.
Front: distance to bikes in front of the car is 65 on the screen vs 54 in reality.
(maybe difficult to detect)
Back: distance to garage door is 42 on the screen vs 38View attachment 922131
the front light may interfere with its results? Maybe better without front lights? Don't know. I have not tried mine yet

Reactions: glovelace
Drove my Model Y some more. Had two instances where the software obviously overestimated the distance. A big-ish tree (1 foot in diameter) was nowhere close to the software but I was 10 cm away. (Was testing how well it registered, it didn't). And another time it thought the rear of a parked BMW was 85cm away but I could eyeball it was closer (max 50 cm).

Not to bash the software: other occasions it works very nicely. You can often tell by how steady the lines are how confident the system is. I've had instances where it toggles between STOP and 35cm back and forth a few times in 5 seconds.

I guess it depends on many factors. It is a lot better with than without the sensors.

But it'll have to get better with NN training/updates since in its current state this thing can never autopark. I'm sure the squiggly jumpy lines will get more smooth and robust with consequent updates, just like the FSDbeta curb visualisations became better and better.

USS doesn't see curbs near the car where you need it. It also can miss poles between sensors.
Vision does see more "things" on the road such as poles. Curbs do need refinement.

My region has oblique curbs, >90 degrees to the road surface. Vision is seeing these as obstacles. I'm getting intermittant warnings just pulling onto my driveway.

Annoying, but t will get fixed. I spent 40 years writing software. This is the good stuff. QA testing must have been a hoot.
😎

Reactions: manub and glovelace
Vision does see more "things" on the road such as poles. Curbs do need refinement.

My region has oblique curbs, >90 degrees to the road surface. Vision is seeing these as obstacles. I'm getting intermittant warnings just pulling onto my driveway.

Annoying, but t will get fixed. I spent 40 years writing software. This is the good stuff. QA testing must have been a hoot.
😎
evolution of updates will take us to where we want/need. That's science.
How many times that Pfizer failed before U guys have the blue pills? hahahaha

they release updates quite often, in my case sometime twice a week
It looks like there are more cars now so they just bleed updates , maybe it depends on how much its server can handle? Don'1 know, I am just guessing. I got my MYLR on Nov 23 2022 (it's a 2023 car)
Lets hope Tesla also deploys additional update servers, along with the massive amounts of cars they sell currently.

I hope my car will update fast when new updates arrive, it will certainly have every opportunity to do so, as it will be able to reach our WiFi in the house whenever it is parked in our driveway.

I dont understand the logic behind the "No new software for the first 30 days, and car will be loaded with a special factory firmware"

Honestly, i would say it would be a lot better if, when they did the preparation for delivery of the car, the car would be updated with the latest firmware (Dealer code, to get the car to skip the line of cars waiting to have it installed).

This way the car would be freshly updated, have all the latest features and there would be a period of time from delivery, where the car would not update....Because there would BE no update.

I have USS and they don't detect low curbs like in a parking lot. My point is, they have NEVER detected them yet people are expecting VPA to do so. I assume at some point they will disable my USS and get me on VPA.
My right front wheel can confirm that USS doesn't detect low curbs. Took me 5 months to finally curb it.
Maybe Vision will be preferred eventually. Would be ideal if we could get a software that combines USS and Vision. More accurate measurements for large objects (especially at the front of the car) plus the added benefit of Vision detecting smaller curbs etc.

Probably won't happen. Tesla will either keep us on USS software or force us to Vision at some point.

Got the update and then I got the park unavailable at this time. Did all the reboots, cleaning lens, put the car to sleeps for hours, etc… and then waited three days and then I opened a ticket with Tesla for park not available. Tesla at first setup a mobile appointment and then changed it to a regular appointment. I suspect it maybe be a wiring harness problem because my model Y is a Nov 2023 model with no radar so the wiring charge. Also after reading about the 2022 model the wiring harness seem to be an issue. I have purchased a lot of new cars before and wow, the Tesla 3 months old since pickup and already been to the shop twice. The first time was to replace the left MCU (car computer).

I think this site is more about therapy for people trying to feel good about their purchase.
I've never been a member of a forum where this was more true, though the Mach-E forums are similar. It seems the primary sentiments here are either "Attack Tesla", "Defend Tesla", or "Mock people who disagree with you about Tesla". I really prefer forums that are primarily about requesting, finding, or sharing information.

I've never been a member of a forum where this was more true, though the Mach-E forums are similar. It seems the primary sentiments here are either "Attack Tesla", "Defend Tesla", or "Mock people who disagree with you about Tesla". I really prefer forums that are primarily about requesting, finding, or sharing information.
I disagree.... sorry, just kidding. You're right. Remember just a few days ago when 11.3 was release. Wow! The tone changed from so much complaining to excited people and sharing how much improvement. Well, we have settled back to the natural state of TMC. But, if you can look beyond some of that this the best place to share and get real time info on our cars.