Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only if you bought before the price reductions. No USS, but up to $13,000 less AND a $7,500 tax credit? That seems more than fair.

I'm a big fan of Tesla's minimalist approach. I like the idea of fewer parts/components - fewer things to go wrong. I find the USS parking sensors in most cars to be frequently inaccurate, so don't rely on them anyway - seems we are ultra-critical of Tesla, and give others a pass.

In reality, we all have the privilege of being part of a technology revolution. Some day when you send your grandkids to school in a FSD car, you can tell them, "I was one of the the first ever with vision-only parking assist! It was like hand crank starting an old Model T!"

So here's mine: "Learned to drive in a huge '60s Buick, only audible alarms during parking were scraping of fenders/bumpers." You figured it out pretty quickly. So the other alternative, like Engi_Nerd, just turn off the chimes and learn to drive like a boomer!
Ha, I was just making jokes. I have no complaints. I’m happy with what I’ve got.

Unsurprisingly, the system had difficulty judging the distance when I was pulling into a parking space that faces a large white featureless wall. At some point after the front cameras lost sight of the line separating the floor and the wall, the distance became unreliable, eventually showing that I had driven into the wall. LOL

It showed a similar odd behavior when I was parked next to a white jeep, which had a large flat side surface that was mostly white. The white parts of the car appeared as gaps in the squiggly line, as if those parts of the car didn't exist.

Just tested it. The front distance detection system is pretty useless compared to USS systems I’ve used in other cars. There’s such a large gap due to the camera blind spot in the front that a competent driver can eye ball the distance better. Maybe helpful to vision impaired drivers. The rear camera is much more useful.

I guess 2023 model ys are truly gimped without a camera retrofit, sigh.

Attachments

• F4222E64-FCB4-4BF1-AEF5-B6D2A769BD77.jpeg
    F4222E64-FCB4-4BF1-AEF5-B6D2A769BD77.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
  • 041CD7C0-11D5-47C7-983D-F4D3990AB25F.jpeg
    041CD7C0-11D5-47C7-983D-F4D3990AB25F.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 63
Good evening. I went through this thread and if I missed the answer, I apologize.

I have a detached garage without any access to WiFi. Will my MYLR receive any updates? For my Tesla to be in range of WiFi, I would have to park my car outside next to our house.

Thanks in advance

Good evening. I went through this thread and if I missed the answer, I apologize.

I have a detached garage without any access to WiFi. Will my MYLR receive any updates? For my Tesla to be in range of WiFi, I would have to park my car outside next to our house.

Thanks in advance
Without Wi-Fi you'll still get a notification that an update is ready to download, but the car will only download the update when connected to Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Yomanjm
I'm just gonna say it: the name is Park ASSIST - not self park. I don't understand the fuss - drive the freaking car. Pay attention - don't rely on technology to not hit stuff. . . .
Lol. Comanchepilot I need the USS for my Saratoga it would be easier to park in the hangar. Straight in approach! Could stop paying attention on the taxiway too. We need this!! And FSD to prevent incursions.

Having saved $20,500 (13,000 and 7500) on my MYP2023 USS be dammed. I find them annoying on my Toyota minivan as the stupid thing slams on the breaks in the garage because of a paper bag. But in todays world with little kids running around (that we can prevent injuring) and the possibility of backing up into someone I do hope they get the camera based system up to at least USS par! Cause although I find it annoying I have to admit it still serves a purpose.

I think this site is more about therapy for people trying to feel good about their puchase. If you want to enact change, contact Tesla’s robust customer service dept.
Emphasis on Robust!! 🤣. I am sure its just me but I think they know my number because after I received my car I can never reach anyone. Crickets. Fortunately have not needed much.
So far my park assist has been working ok. More of a novelty until I learn when to or not to trust it.

The update 2023.6.9 arrived also in Switzerland (and many other countries).
All in all, I'm satisfied of the first tests of the "Vision USS", it seems to be working better than Tesla with USS, since we have a 360 degrees continuous check.
It works also when driving <15 km/h and switches the view on the screen to a "birds-eye like", that's cool.

Now waiting for the Summon, Smart Summon, etc. 🙃

Last edited:
The update 2023.6.9 arrived also in Switzerland (and many other countries).
All in all, I'm satisfied of the first tests of the "Vision USS", it seems to be working better than Tesla with USS, since we have a 360 degrees continuous check.
It works also when driving <15 km/h and switches the view on the screen to a "birds-eye like", that's cool.

Now waiting for the Summon, Smart Summon, etc. 🙃
Rushing out to car to see if it’s arrived in the UK!