Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get the update yet, hope it will come during this week. But on tests people have showed on YT and reddit it seams borderline of good enough.

It has really good potential for example when displaying curb lines which traditional park assist could not do.

Some people have tested with successful 1" precision which would be really great, but depending on the case it can be off even by 20". Also unlike USS it does not detect distances regardless of what the object is, it rely on labeling objects and seams that they are labeling only walls, vehicles and curbs. It can be completely blind to dogs, people, cones or other objects that were not introduced on the park assist portion of the software.

Also the lines around it are not stable enough so you would be confident. They are dancing around and is not enough if you want to align the car on the spot based on them. In my park spot I have around 3" from a pillar that is close to the repeater camera, as it is now there is zero chance that I use the lines to help on that pillar.

Unfortunately I am no longer optimistic on the future of this park assist. I see a real chance that they will sit on it as it is pretty much as they did on EAP features like smart summon and auto park. They delivered the feature but is so borderline unusable that no one takes it seriously, several years later and it is still same with no improvements.

Hope I am wrong and they keep developing and improving it because it has good potential.
If someone thinks that it can be accurate to 1” and it’s actually only accurate to 20”, does that mean you could have parked your car 19” into the wall? Seriously worse than nothing at all if it is that variably inaccurate.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Only if you bought before the price reductions. No USS, but up to $13,000 less AND a $7,500 tax credit? That seems more than fair.

I'm a big fan of Tesla's minimalist approach. I like the idea of fewer parts/components - fewer things to go wrong. I find the USS parking sensors in most cars to be frequently inaccurate, so don't rely on them anyway - seems we are ultra-critical of Tesla, and give others a pass.

In reality, we all have the privilege of being part of a technology revolution. Some day when you send your grandkids to school in a FSD car, you can tell them, "I was one of the the first ever with vision-only parking assist! It was like hand crank starting an old Model T!"

So here's mine: "Learned to drive in a huge '60s Buick, only audible alarms during parking were scraping of fenders/bumpers." You figured it out pretty quickly. So the other alternative, like Engi_Nerd, just turn off the chimes and learn to drive like a boomer!
Welcome to a world view of Tesla. Some of us got screwed by Tesla at full price, and live in markets where there is no tax credit, and still got hit by price adjustments determined to suit US consumer tax policies.

Tesla have brought this criticism on themselves by removing contracted features or trying to palm off inferior alternatives, and still having the gall to charge full price. A privilege? I don’t think so. Simply just fraud.

I've never been a member of a forum where this was more true, though the Mach-E forums are similar. It seems the primary sentiments here are either "Attack Tesla", "Defend Tesla", or "Mock people who disagree with you about Tesla". I really prefer forums that are primarily about requesting, finding, or sharing information.
I Have found the forum entertaining, informative and therapeutic at times. To me entertaining part is a mix of faux comparisons, complaints.
My favorites:
I had Car XYZ (Lamborghini Porsche etc) and it was so much better. Now am on my second Tesla and don’t like lack of (pick something), or too much noise etc.
They promised vision and they will never have it.
Now that its here: Vision is not as good as USS
Elon is great, Elon is not.

But hey isnt that the job of a well run forum. A little something something for everyone. One the same note while a single complaint may be annoying there is merit when we all complain about the same thing. I think we all agree that the Tesla Windshield Wipers are trash. Maybe vision will fix them detecting zero humidity in the air 100f and sunny, then keep wipers off. And when there is water on the windshield..Meahhh turn them on?

If you pay for the monthly Tesla Connect service will they send Updates? My Tesla connects to home network so I don’t know where it got the update but it was early on.
I do have premium connectivity, but I don't think that is necessary for them to send updates. I think there are just a few a year that they think are important and send those over any connectivity they can. My car has been completely off wifi for a little over 2 years and I have gotten about 4 updates a year downloaded by the car. Not just a notification of an update available but the car saying an update has been downloaded and is ready to install.

Reactions: RedY23
Interesting how they call out 3 bars, probably more of a disclaimer than a minimum signal strength requirement

1680049285871.png

I do have premium connectivity, but I don't think that is necessary for them to send updates. I think there are just a few a year that they think are important and send those over any connectivity they can. My car has been completely off wifi for a little over 2 years and I have gotten about 4 updates a year downloaded by the car. Not just a notification of an update available but the car saying an update has been downloaded and is ready to install.
Correct, premium connectivity not required. And they will send critical updates via LTE if the car isn’t on WiFi. Like fixes for ‘recalls’.

Reactions: RedY23
Tested it awhile now for two days.

It's working quite well ... but my driving capabilities have gone back to a newbie ... started looking at the distances on the screen instead of just parking visually as I've always done :-D
Returned back to my capabilities and parking without checking the screen, all good LOL

All in all, it is quite useful for "suprises" (low obstacles out of the normal view, especially going backwards and rotating the car in narrow spaces.
The USS don't detect low obstacles ... Vision does.

For those thinking about a "mix" between Vision and USS ... the Vision system doesn't use USS, even if they are equipped (they are disabled by the software, for what I've understood).

I am in Santa Cruz Ca about 40 miles from the Fremont Factory.

Software version is the same as when I got it. a 6 days ago.
My MY was delivered from Paramus NJ on Feb 14 and it is a Fremont built car. The OTA v.6.9 also tweaked the HVAC system, and it is now very similar to that of Lexus ...i.e. HVAC activated whenever you enter the vehicle but the blower fan doesn't kick in until the desired set temp is achieved, either cold for A/C (in my case here in FL) or warm when heat is on. The Tesla Vision also improved the Lane Centering feature, now it is more stable and smoother.