Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting how they call out 3 bars, probably more of a disclaimer than a minimum signal strength requirement

View attachment 922418
I usually only get 1 bar in my garage...sometimes 2 and never 3. I've had no issues getting updates completed when Tesla pushes them to the car.
Notification of update sometimes has happened over LTE but download and install always on WiFi.
Tesla will push critical updates and force them to be installed over LTE if they have to.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Is this new update only rolling out to ppl with FSD and no USS? If it is then will subscribing FSD will trigger update?

Mine running 2023.2.1
You can't get FSD Beta as it is still on a 2022 update track. You would have to wait till Beta gets onto a 2023 version. Who knows when.

2023.6.9 is a non-FSD update and has non-USS parking assist. Make sure you have Advanced selected for Software updates in the car and sit back and wait.

According to TeslaFi only 6.6% is on 2023.6.9. Still around 50/50 split of people on 2023.6.8 and 2023.2.12

Reactions: spidy12
For those thinking about a "mix" between Vision and USS ... the Vision system doesn't use USS, even if they are equipped (they are disabled by the software, for what I've understood).
How do we know this? Have any USS cars received 2023.6.9? If so, have they been forced onto Vision (should be easy to tell as it would show the side of the car lines)?
I'd assume for now that if USS equipped cars get an update that includes Vision park assist that they would just continue using USS and not Vision and not a Vision/USS hybrid. At least for now.

Be aware that if the car's software update preference is set to advanced, it will receive an update as soon as it is available. If it's set to standard, the update it receives has been running on other cars first. Here's a snippet from a 2022+ MS manual:
Screenshot_20230329_062619_Chrome.jpg

How do we know this? Have any USS cars received 2023.6.9? If so, have they been forced onto Vision (should be easy to tell as it would show the side of the car lines)?
I'd assume for now that if USS equipped cars get an update that includes Vision park assist that they would just continue using USS and not Vision and not a Vision/USS hybrid. At least for now.
I don't think so.
The idea was to unify the software (to at the end save software development costs), so it would not make sense to develop a software that uses Vision + USS together, considering that all new Tesla don't have USS.

For USS equipped, the old version was using USS and Vision as backup, in case of missing USS (that was demonstrated in a video, by physically removing USS from the Tesla).
It could be that USS equipped Tesla still retain that version for awhile, but this can be confirmed from USS-equipped Tesla owners.

Curious if anyone with a USS-equipped car has gotten this update.
I haven't. Just got onto 2023.6.8 last week.
I am curious if USS cars will get 2023.6.9 or if it is only for non-USS cars.
I don't think Tesla would want to split releases between USS and non-USS cars so I'm expecting to get 2023.6.9 in the next week or so.

What I want to know first is if 2023.6.9 forces USS cars over to Vision or not??

I haven't. Just got onto 2023.6.8 last week.
I am curious if USS cars will get 2023.6.9 or if it is only for non-USS cars.
I don't think Tesla would want to split releases between USS and non-USS cars so I'm expecting to get 2023.6.9 in the next week or so.

What I want to know first is if 2023.6.9 forces USS cars over to Vision or not??
In my opinion, yes.
That's necessary to unify the software and have a single development line.

For those thinking about a "mix" between Vision and USS ... the Vision system doesn't use USS, even if they are equipped (they are disabled by the software, for what I've understood).
FYI this is false in regards to USS, you are probably thinking about radar. Tesla said explicitly in their FAQ:
"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

So far no USS equipped vehicle have reported having Vision based park assist (not even as a menu option). The USS cars that got the FSD Beta update 2022.45.11 that included the Vision Park Assist have reported there was no change. This is partially why videos of the feature was so delayed (all the YouTubers that had FSD Beta had USS in their cars).

Disabling USS at the moment would mean disabling Summon, Smart Summon, and Autopark, which I don't see Tesla doing when it is working just fine for cars with USS.

• Informative
FYI this is false in regards to USS, you are probably thinking about radar. Tesla said explicitly in their FAQ:
"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

So far no USS equipped vehicle have reported having Vision based park assist (not even as a menu option). The USS cars that got the FSD Beta update 2022.45.11 that included the Vision Park Assist have reported there was no change. This is partially why videos of the feature was so delayed (all the YouTubers that had FSD Beta had USS in their cars).

Disabling USS at the moment would mean disabling Summon, Smart Summon, and Autopark, which I don't see Tesla doing when it is working just fine for cars with USS.
The interesting thing here is..

Will Tesla enable the vision system to work in tandem with the USS.

Vision is better on the sides, than USS, as there are no USS on the sides, but USS are more accurate front and back.