Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summon, smart Summon and Autopark features are disabled on cars without USS (parking sensors).

So nothing is wrong and nothing you can do except wait and hope Tesla adds it back at some point. It has been a year with no word and no improvement on Tesla Vision parking assist, so it may be a while before it comes back, if ever.

Reactions: SeanM
Summon, smart Summon and Autopark features are disabled on cars without USS (parking sensors).

So nothing is wrong and nothing you can do except wait and hope Tesla adds it back at some point. It has been a year with no word and no improvement on Tesla Vision parking assist, so it may be a while before it comes back, if ever.

So, can I use the FSD feature like I did in my 2018 model-3 that had USS, will the car auto drive to entered destination address?

well my Aug 2023 TX build with 3 free months of FSD just got the update to FSD Beta and it is a little dangerous especially making turns from a stop.
however the auto-park for parallel parking and summon features still aren't working. at least i get to try FSD Beta for a few months.

I got a Tesla Y in November 2023 in UK and was one of first batches without USS so the enhanced autopilot I’d added did not have autopark/summon etc.

Clearly autopark has never returned but was the main reason for me adding EAP as I only do 4k miles a year and vast majority is city centre driving. I have had some to and fro with Tesla as EAP said these features were temporarily not available for a short period of time, but following my complaint to them they’ve now changed the wording about features without USS to remove the ‘short period’ and also ‘temporary’ lack of availability. This change mysteriously took place the day they effectively said these features were never really promised and software will change all the time.

Has anyone had success in pursuing them for compensation, removal of EAP, small claims cases etc where they’ve sold features on the basis of an expectation which has never then followed through - My car is leased and payments higher due to EAP which is lacking, but Tesla confirm quite robustly that EAP cannot be removed and no refund can ever be given for it irrespective of features it has or hasn’t got.

I’m thinking of going through motor ombudsman and/or the car leasing regulator type body but any thoughts welcome. I don’t really want to take on a giant like Tesla, but still think it is poor they set an expectation but are now reneging on that.

Even with USS, Autopark is not as good as you think it is, so you’re not missing much.
Yeah, I tried it out because my car came with a 3 month trial back then, and it's pretty much a gimmick. For normal spaces with lots of room, it does it just fine, but it's not any faster than doing it myself in the more challenging spaces. That said, if someone waited 1 year for it, I can see why they want some compensation.

Last edited:
I have now confirmed that the "blocked or blinded" camera notices (some of which result in AutoPilot not working at all or having to tolerate wipers continually dragging over a pristine, dry windshield when it is working) are because of darkness on back roads, and that darkness alone. NOT blocked cameras.

When I drive the MY at the exact same time in areas of the community with street lights or other ambient light sources I get no such errors and popups...when I drive from my house to work on a 15 mile long back road with no street light in perfect weather with perfectly clean windshields and cameras I either can't use cruise control or if I get it to work I can count on multiple swipes of the wipers skidding over a dry windshield. Absurd.

Reactions: cwerdna
I have now confirmed that the "blocked or blinded" camera notices (some of which result in AutoPilot not working at all or having to tolerate wipers continually dragging over a pristine, dry windshield when it is working) are because of darkness on back roads, and that darkness alone. NOT blocked cameras.

When I drive the MY at the exact same time in areas of the community with street lights or other ambient light sources I get no such errors and popups...when I drive from my house to work on a 15 mile long back road with no street light in perfect weather with perfectly clean windshields and cameras I either can't use cruise control or if I get it to work I can count on multiple swipes of the wipers skidding over a dry windshield. Absurd.
I haven't driven in pitch black roads since switching to vision, but when driving with radar, it shows messages for the side cameras, but not the front cameras. The front cameras have headlights, so unless you are driving in the dark without headlights, it shouldn't be problem.

Also TACC (single tap) may have different activation thresholds than AP. AP technically isn't supposed to be active on back roads.

Would love if anyone could post their insights into when one of these updates will make my FSD fully capable again. 2023LR MY doors not have auto park or summon or smart summon and I'm starting to realize it's been a lot longer that new MYs have had these features "temporarily" disabled. I tried searching for this topic and found threads from 2022 about the same issue I'm posting about-new MYs that even in FSD did not have the capability to do four or five things like auto park and smart summon, etc. I'm still learning and am not a tech expert, so i appreciate anybody that helps me learn something here. Has it really been almost a year that these features have been temporarily disabled?

Yup, brand new 2023 Model Y here, and after dark we sometimes get the "blocked or blinded" warning for the passenger side pillar camera. Glass is clean as the day it was made, camera's not blocked, no bright light shining directly into the camera, no rain. Just a dark street after sunset. Foolish cameras, making their problem my problem. It's not my fault Tesla's cameras can't see in the dark. :rolleyes:

Yes it has been that long. With no noticeable improvement or advancement.

And no, there’s no ETA as to when those features will return for newer cars without USS, if ever.
Boy that doesn't seem right. Not sure I would have bought the car if I'd realized that. Were they having some real serious issues prior to that, like people having accidents with those features? I can't imagine why they'd make this decision otherwise.