Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y: Performance vs Acceleration Boost vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad she is happy with her car, we both love ours.

Dumb question; why would you consider upgrading hers if you have a '22 plaid? Somewhat generalizing but my wife doesn't care about acceleration and keeps her LR in chill mode all the time.

Resale is hot in TO right now? It's terrible in Edmonton, I was ready to unload my MYP for an S Plaid but the hit is just way too big.

In any case, after driving both I can't say the MYP is miles ahead of the MYLR and definitely not worth the hit in selling a '23 LR for the P. The "performance" brakes are barely an upgrade at all:

Just my 2 cents though.
I answered this in another comment, but you were actually the first one to ask me this so let me say it again out of respect!

My wife is like your wife. She has zero interest in anything but chill mode. We did a one second near full acceleration in the plaid, she grabbed her chest and asked me… do you like that?! Hey what are we talking about here?! Kidding aside I told her yes I enjoy the acceleration but it’s a little much if we are hungry or feeling a little lightheaded in between meals. The acceleration is ferocious and scary. The performance of the model Y, while I’ve never tried it. I’m sure it’s just a little edger? Probably slower than my 2.7s 10.8 1/4 “old” performance model S, but also, I’m sure an absolute blast to drive. 😁

Reactions: Stirfry
Spoken like a performance model owner lol just kidding!

It’s just kind of cool having the better model. Back when I was a kid I had the civic SI, the more powerful one! Then I got a 97 prelude but didn’t get the SH model. What was the first thing everyone asked me? Oh, is that the SH model? It’s not it wasn’t available when I placed my order! Not a big deal, but it seemed it was a constant question that came up.

People will always nag, especially those that don't know any better. I actually own a MYLR7, no "P" option for me, if only right? we all have our reasons. In lieu of that I've basically replaced suspension and brakes, added acceleration boost and prepping for ghost. I get asked all the time why not the MYP until I said i wanted 7 seats. Or now easily mistaken for a MYP because red calipers... Little do folks know, my goal wasn't to 'look' like a P, rather perform in parity if not better. My brakes are actually larger than whats available.

I would have done the same exact suspension and brake upgrades with a MYP if i could get away with a 5 seater. 😁

Has anyone done any tests with the light 18s as far as range goes?

Regardless of size, i think combination of weight and size will provide better performance and range. that's critical. Just need to make sure you get a wheel that's truly forged (gotta be careful here, most are not truly forged, some are using multiple different metals and a poor forging process). I can only speak for Rays Volk Racing wheel that are truly forged with meticulous manufacturing process. There's a reason why these wheels are sought after in demand and used in high performance applications. Just expensive haha.

Reactions: easyev
People will always nag, especially those that don't know any better. I actually own a MYLR7, no "P" option for me, if only right? we all have our reasons. In lieu of that I've basically replaced suspension and brakes, added acceleration boost and prepping for ghost. I get asked all the time why not the MYP until I said i wanted 7 seats. Or now easily mistaken for a MYP because red calipers... Little do folks know, my goal wasn't to 'look' like a P, rather perform in parity if not better. My brakes are actually larger than whats available.

I would have done the same exact suspension and brake upgrades with a MYP if i could get away with a 5 seater. 😁

Regardless of size, i think combination of weight and size will provide better performance and range. that's critical. Just need to make sure you get a wheel that's truly forged (gotta be careful here, most are not truly forged, some are using multiple different metals and a poor forging process). I can only speak for Rays Volk Racing wheel that are truly forged with meticulous manufacturing process. There's a reason why these wheels are sought after in demand and used in high performance applications. Just expensive haha.

Those bad boys look great, I’m afraid to ask how much they are! Yeah that’s people, what can you do? Sometimes it’s just conversation, I mean, what else do you say? Need to throw some specs and models out there and talk about them, that’s what us car guys do!

• Love
Reactions: hyp36rmax
Ghost mod only applies to a few motors. Not to mention the impact on the factory warranty. Tesla could easily shut it down at any time if they got serious about it. Not to mention the hassle of playing cat and mouse and waiting for Ingenext to update their software so that you can finally download it.

As for hate for the MY, let’s just call it strong dislike after owning one for a while. Likely the biggest purchasing mistake in the 50+ cars I’ve owned in my lifetime. Thankfully the prices went through the roof after I bought mine and was able to exit without taking a bath on it. The Y could have been so much more than it has been. Every day driving the Y felt like I was driving an appliance. The 3 was far more engaging to drive than my Y ever was. A lot of time it is more fun than my Plaid except when it comes to pure acceleration and braking. Sign me up when they come out with a Model 3 version that is much closer to the Plaid than the current M3P.

Another lessen learned with Tesla is try and stick with factory options so you get support and a warranty. That is the reason why I dropped the $16k on the factory carbon ceramic brake kit for my S rather than going with something aftermarket. Any issues, Tesla owns it. As a side benefit, the factory BBK unlocks or at least raises, the top speed to 200 mph. They also won’t refuse to service the car because some modded part is connected to a part that has an issue and somehow they’ll blame the modded part for the issue with the other.

So of course I looked at Ingenext, at the end of the day, the slight savings of going with it vs the factory wasn’t worth the potential hassles. That is coming from someone who has modded many of cars and motorcycles I’ve owned. I’d put the significantly modded number of vehicles at about 50. I’ve seen few companies as picky as Tesla when it comes to warranty issues or looking for ways to deny claims. I have a fair bit of insight into that I worked for 2 major automobile and 1 major motorcycle manufacturers. So I’ll pass on the hassle for limited benefit.

I do appreciate what Ingenext has to offer but Tesla could swat them almost anytime they want. They just aren’t enough of a hassle yet and their overall user base is pretty small compared to the number of cars out there.

Well for me ingenext was $600 Canadian $ on special in 2022 Vs 3.3k. Worth every penny’i I don’t even bother checking for software compliance and I just opt to update as and when they are avail. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Never an issue for almost 2 hrs now .
I’ve also been service many times and zero issues with it installed.

I will agree the Y feels like a bumpy, boaty version of the 3. I have both and hands down the 3 is funnier to drive The MYP is quick but handling and suspension are sub par for a vehicle at this price range
My wife loves it. I prefer the 3 hands down.

22’ M3LR boost. If the new M3 Perf is a 2.5-2.7 second rocket. I’ll trade asap!

Ghost mod only applies to a few motors. Not to mention the impact on the factory warranty. Tesla could easily shut it down at any time if they got serious about it. Not to mention the hassle of playing cat and mouse and waiting for Ingenext to update their software so that you can finally download it.

As for hate for the MY, let’s just call it strong dislike after owning one for a while. Likely the biggest purchasing mistake in the 50+ cars I’ve owned in my lifetime. Thankfully the prices went through the roof after I bought mine and was able to exit without taking a bath on it. The Y could have been so much more than it has been. Every day driving the Y felt like I was driving an appliance. The 3 was far more engaging to drive than my Y ever was. A lot of time it is more fun than my Plaid except when it comes to pure acceleration and braking. Sign me up when they come out with a Model 3 version that is much closer to the Plaid than the current M3P.

Another lessen learned with Tesla is try and stick with factory options so you get support and a warranty. That is the reason why I dropped the $16k on the factory carbon ceramic brake kit for my S rather than going with something aftermarket. Any issues, Tesla owns it. As a side benefit, the factory BBK unlocks or at least raises, the top speed to 200 mph. They also won’t refuse to service the car because some modded part is connected to a part that has an issue and somehow they’ll blame the modded part for the issue with the other.

So of course I looked at Ingenext, at the end of the day, the slight savings of going with it vs the factory wasn’t worth the potential hassles. That is coming from someone who has modded many of cars and motorcycles I’ve owned. I’d put the significantly modded number of vehicles at about 50. I’ve seen few companies as picky as Tesla when it comes to warranty issues or looking for ways to deny claims. I have a fair bit of insight into that I worked for 2 major automobile and 1 major motorcycle manufacturers. So I’ll pass on the hassle for limited benefit.

I do appreciate what Ingenext has to offer but Tesla could swat them almost anytime they want. They just aren’t enough of a hassle yet and their overall user base is pretty small compared to the number of cars out there.
I’ve always been a fan of stock but the Cobb tuner I got for my 2007 Subaru Spec B transformed that car. When I put it back to stock for the trade-in, I couldn’t believe the difference. That said I too would first opted for the factory option.

I wonder when they’re going to turn up the heat on the model Y? Add that third motor! Air suspension, etc.

Well for me ingenext was $600 Canadian $ on special in 2022 Vs 3.3k. Worth every penny’i I don’t even bother checking for software compliance and I just opt to update as and when they are avail. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Never an issue for almost 2 hrs now .
I’ve also been service many times and zero issues with it installed.

I will agree the Y feels like a bumpy, boaty version of the 3. I have both and hands down the 3 is funnier to drive The MYP is quick but handling and suspension are sub par for a vehicle at this price range
My wife loves it. I prefer the 3 hands down.

22’ M3LR boost. If the new M3 Perf is a 2.5-2.7 second rocket. I’ll trade asap!
I believe the model y is more of a “mom” car. The 3 is but isn’t really the best option for a family of 4-5. Model 3 P is an awesome car, when I had it for half a week as a loaner. Just better commuter than model y.

Reactions: Destiny1701
This is going to be an interesting read, I'm swapping my M3P for a MYLR or MYP early next year and really can't decide between the two, My Mr sensible says go for the LR not much of a range gain but should be a comfortable drive and it's cheaper to purchase, then Mr boy racer says after driving the performance for the last few years and loving every mile can I settle with a car that's going to be slower, also prefer the looks of the performance. ( I'm answering all my own questions here lol )
Ok start again, early next year I'm going to be swapping my M3P for a MYP :)

This is going to be an interesting read, I'm swapping my M3P for a MYLR or MYP early next year and really can't decide between the two, My Mr sensible says go for the LR not much of a range gain but should be a comfortable drive and it's cheaper to purchase, then Mr boy racer says after driving the performance for the last few years and loving every mile can I settle with a car that's going to be slower, also prefer the looks of the performance. ( I'm answering all my own questions here lol )
We’ve debated this and everyone here said get the LR with boost

Reactions: Turknhoff
You are absolutely going to miss the M3P. I hope you have an incredibly compelling reason for going with the MYP. With the small current price deltat the P makes more sense than the MY LR w/boost. Honestly the MY LR should have come with boost from the factory. That should have been the baseline config.

Just dump the wheels from the MYP and go with lighter 19's or 20's. Instant range improvement and handling.

You are absolutely going to miss the M3P. I hope you have an incredibly compelling reason for going with the MYP. With the small current price deltat the P makes more sense than the MY LR w/boost. Honestly the MY LR should have come with boost from the factory. That should have been the baseline config.

Just dump the wheels from the MYP and go with lighter 19's or 20's. Instant range improvement and handling.
If you need the space …sure. But make no mistake…the MY in any form doesn’t not even come close to the driving pleasure of the 3P or 3LRboost. Totally diff animals.

I have a 3LRboost and an MYP. I can tell you the MYP I used for longer drives and if I need to haul the family or just a more sedate drive. But the 3 is absolutely the best handling and most enjoyable experience hands down.

I’d go with MYP as daytrippin stated…price diff is negligible for the added 3.5 sec 0-60. Just don’t think it’s even half the cornering and handling of the PM3!!

• Helpful
I need the space for bikes, there far to expensive to put on the roof and have to be practically stripped down to get them in the m3p for my events, otherwise I'd have no intension of a MY, I loooooooove my little rocket and will be gutted to see her/him/it (for the politically correct lol) go but I need the extra room, the truck would be nice but No"1 they aren't in the uk yet and No"2 I'm really not sure if I like the looks, very subjective and different, unfortunately I either change my sport or my car :(

I need the space for bikes, there far to expensive to put on the roof and have to be practically stripped down to get them in the m3p for my events, otherwise I'd have no intension of a MY, I loooooooove my little rocket and will be gutted to see her/him/it (for the politically correct lol) go but I need the extra room, the truck would be nice but No"1 they aren't in the uk yet and No"2 I'm really not sure if I like the looks, very subjective and different, unfortunately I either change my sport or my car :(
Why not get a hitch and bike rack for the 3? Problem solved if is only the bike issue. The 3 and Y have about the same length in the boot area but the Y is just a bit taller in due to the hatch. Or screw and just buy an S rather than the MYP. Assuming they have the RHD version there yet. Yet get a big boot, great range, far better performance and heated and cooled seats. My S was basically my MY replacement for hauling stuff.

Hi Day Trippin, no rhd version in the uk at the moment, Cyber truck also not available for order yet and again if it doesn't have the rhd version then sales will stay low, not sure what the sales are for the Model S but I wouldn't have thought they'd be good, I personally haven't seen any new model S on our roads yet, I'll have to ask the sales guys in Tesla next time I call in.
Tow hitch could work and this is something I've looked at in the past, the only problem is the bikes are so expensive, thanks for the reply.

Why not get a hitch and bike rack for the 3? Problem solved if is only the bike issue. The 3 and Y have about the same length in the boot area but the Y is just a bit taller in due to the hatch. Or screw and just buy an S rather than the MYP. Assuming they have the RHD version there yet. Yet get a big boot, great range, far better performance and heated and cooled seats. My S was basically my MY replacement for hauling stuff.
I agree with MS idea. Best of both worlds.
Car handling and comfort with the space and utility of an SUV. This was my 2018 100D…incredible space!

The MY driving dynamics cannot compare unless you require higher seating visibility.

IMG_6547.jpeg

Reactions: DayTrippin