Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y: Performance vs Acceleration Boost vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple of questions for those who have researched Performance vs LR vs LR with Acceleration Boost.

1) Does the Performance come with STIFFER shocks/springs or is it just lowered 3/4"?
2) Can you take a picture of your screen with the Track settings? The track settings pics I've seen were for the M3. If the Y has this same setup, it might just put me over the edge to just switch to the Performance.
3) For those who added via the app the Acceleration Boost option, do you have the "Track Settings" as well?

In an ideal situation, I want a MYLR with Track Settings and 19" wheels (lighter) to still be able to have the theoretical 330 miles (I know this is in super ideal conditions). If I could get the Acceleration Boost for $2000 and have the Track Settings, then I'll stick with the LR. If not, then I'll likely get the Performance and buy aftermarket 19" wheel setup to bring back lightness to the wheels (and thus better mileage) and softer ride. But if the Performance also has a stiffer shocks and springs (the 21" wheels plays a big factor in the ride stiffness), then I'll stick with the LR.

This is what I've collected so far and my current comparison of the three:

1685906704753.png

With rollout below:
1685906051441.png

Attachments

• 1685906656464.png
    1685906656464.png
    39 KB · Views: 722
Reactions: hyp36rmax
I have a couple of questions for those who have researched Performance vs LR vs LR with Acceleration Boost.

1) Does the Performance come with STIFFER shocks/springs or is it just lowered 3/4"?
2) Can you take a picture of your screen with the Track settings? The track settings pics I've seen were for the M3. If the Y has this same setup, it might just put me over the edge to just switch to the Performance.
3) For those who added via the app the Acceleration Boost option, do you have the "Track Settings" as well?

In an ideal situation, I want a MYLR with Track Settings and 19" wheels (lighter) to still be able to have the theoretical 330 miles (I know this is in super ideal conditions). If I could get the Acceleration Boost for $2000 and have the Track Settings, then I'll stick with the LR. If not, then I'll likely get the Performance and buy aftermarket 19" wheel setup to bring back lightness to the wheels (and thus better mileage) and softer ride. But if the Performance also has a stiffer shocks and springs (the 21" wheels plays a big factor in the ride stiffness), then I'll stick with the LR.

This is what I've collected so far and my current comparison of the three:

View attachment 943928

With rollout below:
View attachment 943924
For reference, the last run on my M3 LR w/boost was 3.71 without rollout and 3.48 with rollout. That was on a 80% SoC. Not my best run but the car can consistently run that time.

As mentioned non-P cars never get track mode. I don't think it will ever be offered on the MXP.

I had an MY LR w/boost. The Y's range sucks, and even worse with the big tires of the P. FYI - my MY got worse efficiency than either of my 2 Model S's and one of them is a Plaid on 21" tires. The Y was surprisingly inefficient even on the factory 19's. I'd never do the 21's.

Keep in mind that except of the Plaid versions, the P versions performance gain over their normal counterpart basically evaporates over 50 mph. Think of the P version of the 3/Y as having a super version of acceleration boost that flames out by 60 mph. So they seem a little punchier off the line and then fall flat by 50.

If the price delta is low enough, by the P and ditch the big wheels. Unless you really need the room of the Y, buy the 3. It is a much more fun car to drive and VASTLY more efficient. A boosted M3 LR is as quick as an MYP, has about 30% better efficiency and is a lot of fun to drive. I took the savings from not buying the P and planned to use it to buy good coilovers as I can enjoy that a lot more than the couple tenths of a second quicker to 60.

In the Y, the base MY LR is a slow dog as far as I am concerned. The stock 4.8 is pretty slow, and assumes it is actually meets the numbers. The MY LR should have ran stock 4.2-4.3. Realistically if you value performance, and really want a Y, then don't even consider any variation of the LR. For the 3, the base M3 LR is quick enough to be fun. Add in boost and it almost supercar quick. I never regretted not getting the M3P. I can go about 50 mile more per charge with my 3 than I could drive my Y. The fun factor is far higher and I can still fit car seats in my 3. The 3 has more leg room too and ride quality stock is far better.

TL:DR - don't buy the MY LR, buy the MYP. Don't buy the MY anything but buy either the M3 LR or M3P and get rid of the 20's on the P if you value range and ride comfort. Buy a lightweight set of 19's for the M3P or MYP and enjoy the better handling and balanced car.

I don't track, race or have any performance add on equipment in my 2020 LRMY. I love driving my Model Y. Even after 3 years of ownership I am amazed by this vehicle. That stated, whenever I turn sharply I immediately become aware of the weight of the LRMY and the tendency of my Model Y to resist turning. The Model Y is not a sports car. I have never driven the Model 3 but I am confident that the Model 3 can take turns much better than the Model Y.

Reactions: richyrich
@DayTrippin , thanks for the reply! I want the Track settings so that I can do drift mode with the Y.... We have multiple cars and it will actually be our slowest one outside of our true family hauler SUV. But with the electric motor and instantaneous torque, I am assuming serious fun with drift mode.

My plan is to get lightweight 19" wheels to help with the ride quality, less unsprung weight and thus better mileage hopefully on par with MYLR.

Does that sound like a good plan?

That is what I'd do if I really had to have a Y. Keep in mind the 19" factory aero wheels are about the most efficient on the highway. I put Martian 19" wheels on my Y and it was a lot more fun and looked a lot better. Shaved a lot of weight off. They seemed to be more efficient than the stock wheels in town but worse on the highway (not as aerodynamic).

Reactions: Turknhoff
With the current YLR and YP separated by only 4k and only 2k if you add the acceleration boost to the YLR, I am wondering where folks sit with current or future purchase. Thanks

Have YLR - would buy again
Have YP - would buy again
Have YLR - would get YP
Have YP - would get YLR

M3 LR w/AB is around 3.7/3.8 and feels a lot faster subjectively. Lighter and quicker response time perhaps.

The MYP is ‘allegedly’ 3.7 but it’s a lot heavier so not sure when most of that power kicks in.

I have MYP and feel it’s too fast. I do have a speed daemon son and have the speed limit pin set to 80 MPH which forces Chill mode. In chill mode it feels safer.
We purchased rhe MYP due to lack of availability of the LR.
I would do LR next time.
I don’t think Tesla has demos of non speed limited MYP/in chill mode. In chill mode that extreme acceleration is off.
To experience the MYP acceleration, which is insane, you would have to borrow a persons vehicle.
Also have a M3, but it’s not the utility vehicle we need. Another member of rhe family uses the 3 for daily driving. M3 is a different experience and fun.

Wait, when I bought Acceleration Boost 2 years ago, it said it would put 0-60 at ~4.2-4.1 seconds. And the MYP was 3.7 seconds at that time.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but has it changed?

Is my 2021 LR with Boost nearly as fast as a 2023 MYP?
Yes... Tesla includes rollout in LR to make it look more slower relative to the Performance. So yeah, the LR+AB is probably around 4.0 seconds and the Performance is probably around 3.6 seconds (per Car & Driver instrumented tests and anecdotal data from LR Tesla and less-instrumented tests).

Just note that the MYP, which is currently shown as 3.5 secs (with rollout) 0 to 60 and 303 miles would actually even be FASTER when you "downgrade" to the 19" OEM wheels or an even lighter 19" wheel. OEM 19" wheel is roughly 30 lbs. You can get 20-22 lbs wheels which would give more than 330 miles and faster 0 to 60. This made me switch to MYP!