Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y: Performance vs Acceleration Boost vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my MYP. Owned an M3 SR+ for 3 years. Great car, but the Y feels bigger, and contrary to what a previous poster said, the front seating area feels bigger as welL I have a 35” inseam, long legs, and the Y is much more comfortable because you aren’t sitting on the floor like the M3. The back seat is no comparison to the M3. MY has way more room. Cargo space also seems much greater in the MY. FWIW I did get my MYP after the big price drop plus I’ll get the tax credit on this years taxes, so hard to pass up.

As someone who just went from a M3LR to a MYP, they feel very different. The 3 feels like you are hugging the road at almost any speed. Even in my LR, I would fly when I hit curves. It's just fun to drive! When I was test driving the Ys, they didn't have a P, but they let me drive a M3P to feel the difference between my M3LR. That M3P was insane! The reason I went to a Y was because I needed that hatchback and more open space in the back. I also wanted the car to feel more roomy than my 3. My MYP does that and gives me a faster car than I had. The downside is that it's higher off the ground and a very different center of gravity compared to the 3. I haven't tested my MYP on the same curves yet that I would always drive my 3 to see how different it feels, but I know it won't feel like it's hugging the road as much as my 3 did.

In the end, I'm very happy with my MYP purchase and would do it again because it fits my needs better and the minimal price difference between the MYLR AB and MYP was so negligible, that it was worth the MYP upgrade. If you want fun and fast and don't need the extra room of the Y, then definitely get a M3P, but you shouldn't be disappointed in getting an MYP if you need a Y.

Since my MYP is so new, I'm still figuring out that balance between having fun and being conservative for the range. When I drive conservative and don't floor it, I'm actually getting the official stated range. I might buy a 2nd set of wheels that are light and aerodynamic for long trips (I do them a lot) and just keep the MYP wheels on for local 0-60 fun.

Reactions: El joe
The leg room comment is mind boggling bc the model Y is both longer and much taller. There is a space for your feet under the MY seats that the M3 doesn’t have. I’ve never had anyone tell me they’re unhappy with the legroom in a Y, but go from a Y to a 3, and it feels cramped.
Definitely agree with you on legroom and comfort. The Y is absolutely more comfortable for both front and rear passengers than the 3. My short wife wasn't comfortable on long drives even in the back of our Model S because of the low seating and the 3's backseat is even worse.

I find the Y has the optimum balance of size, utility, and performance for our family. Every seat is comfortable, which can't be said for the 3 nor even the S. The deep toe space beneath the front seats of the Y allows me to completely straighten my legs in the 2nd row, which I'm unable to do even in an X!

I loved my S but felt it was basically just for me as my wife was afraid to drive the big, low sedan and not everyone liked sitting in the back. Wife and I both love driving our 2021 Y LR. The Y is slower than the S of course, but still plenty fast enough to pass the majority of cars on the road when desired. Overall, the Y is a much better fit for our family than the S. I would not even consider a 3 for our primary family car, it's simply too small and the extra range wouldn't make a difference on a daily basis. If we got another Tesla I would get either a Performance Y or used Raven X. A 3P would certainly be the funnest car out of the bunch but I need my car to do more than sprints around town. You may be able to slide some lumber into the 3, but the 3 can't tow anything, can't recline the 2nd row seats on roadtrips, and can't carry a load of landscape bricks like the Y can. I gladly trade off the 3's acceleration, efficiency, and handling in exchange for the Y's versatility and better balance of performance, comfort, and cargo.

Last edited:
We have both and feel fortunate to be able to experience both as they are amazing
Same. MYP and M3LR/boost.Totally different animals.

I enjoy driving the 3 much more for handling dynamics and being light on its feet. Ie. Smile every time :)

I do really like the Y for a more refined drive and comfortable space, visibility, cargo and for family outings/trips.

If I had to choose one, I’d go the MYP. It’s fast, has amazing utility and for an SUV, performs amazing.

Given the thread is about MY LR, LR boost and MYP, I also have some comments about all 3, as I’ve owned a 2021 MYLR and purchased AB after a few months prior to switching into the 22’ MYP:

MYLR - seemed heavy, not much power at higher speeds, decent drive but felt power was missing.
MYLR Boost - much better. Still lacking launch punch but 40kph and up…what a difference!
MYP - not feeling lack of power anywhere at all legal speeds.

Suspension wise, I ran 21” Ubers on the LR as well…so apples to apples…the 22’ MYP seems identical in suspension feel to the 21’ MY LR. Perhaps they refined it somewhat from year to year. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumpydog
Same. MYP and M3LR/boost.Totally different animals.

I enjoy driving the 3 much more for handling dynamics and being light on its feet. Ie. Smile every time :)

I do really like the Y for a more refined drive and comfortable space, visibility, cargo and for family outings/trips.

If I had to choose one, I’d go the MYP. It’s fast, has amazing utility and for an SUV, performs amazing.

Given the thread is about MY LR, LR boost and MYP, I also have some comments about all 3, as I’ve owned a 2021 MYLR and purchased AB after a few months prior to switching into the 22’ MYP:

MYLR - seemed heavy, not much power at higher speeds, decent drive but felt power was missing.
MYLR Boost - much better. Still lacking launch punch but 40kph and up…what a difference!
MYP - not feeling lack of power anywhere at all legal speeds.

Suspension wise, I ran 21” Ubers on the LR as well…so apples to apples…the 22’ MYP seems identical in suspension feel to the 21’ MY LR. Perhaps they refined it somewhat from year to year. 🤷🏽‍♂️
How was your experience with 21" Ubers on LR? I am contemplating on swapping Geminis to it

The front legroom in the 3 is greater than the Y, I think, by almost an inch. I also found my leg seemed to be forced inward less (i.e. better angle) with my 3 than my Y. Back seat it is obviously bigger but I ride up front, not in the back. I've had 5 people in my 3 and enough room in the back. Extra room is just wasted space that you pay a penalty for when not needed.

The cargo size difference is a bit misleading. the length and width of the 3/Y are very similar. You just get a higher area where the hatch is. So if I needed to fit something long in my Y, I could likely do it in my 3. This assumes it isn't super tall. I've found I could get remarkably big things in the 3 with just a little more effort than the Y. If the 3 had a hatch like the Y, it'd be very close. As it is, the Y support taller things which may be important for some. Otherwise the 3 is pretty large.

Ever notice how Tesla NEVER compares the volume of the 3 and Y the same? Tesla talks about the volume with the seats folded down in the Y to make it look massively bigger than the 3 and only show the volume of the 3's trunk. If you compare that area from the 3 to the Y (behind the rear seats) the volume is a lot closer than you would think when looking at the total cargo space they quote.

It is an apples-to-oranges comparison just like how they compare acceleration statistics of between the performance models and non-performance. They do it to trick you into thinking there is more of a difference than there really is.

As for range, I'll definitely take my 3 over the Y as it had vastly worse efficiency. Not even close. The Y was even worse than my Model S LR for efficiency. The faster you go, the bigger the difference between the 3 and Y. So if you drive 50-60 mph, the Y may be fairly close to the 3. Drive 75-80 and it is a different story.

Factor in heating and and cooling. That bigger cabin requires more heating and cooling. So on hot/cold days, you'll use more energy to heat/cool it. Physics is at play here. More mass = worse efficiency. More frontal area (with similar drag coefficient) = worse efficiency. So many things work against the Y in these areas; wider, taller, heavier, etc.

Few cars have I regretted buying as much as my Y. It was one of those cars that seemed better on paper than owning it. Knowing what I now know, it was a mistake to buy it. Or at a minimum, I should have bought the MYP. The acceleration of EVs is so smooth, that you don't the rise and fall of the acceleration curve that you do with most ICE cars. So while a 4.5 EV and ICE, may get to 60 in the same time, they typically go about it differently and the ICE car will be at times pulling higher peak G's than typically the EV will. So at times, it will feel quicker than the EV, because it is momentarily and then it will be slower. The other thing I wasn't prepared for was how much the 3/Y die in acceleration after you hit about 50 mph.

Enough info out there for everyone to prioritize what they want and what car will give it to them. Now we have a lot more options. It will be curious to see how the next gen 3 turns out.
Agree with the first paragraph, but I’ve got a fam to deal with, so the rear legroom is huge, and I’ve noticed that I can put the passenger front seat as far forward as it will go and still sit comfortably, not even relatively. Actually comfortably, which is good.

Part two, the height of the hatch area/size of the opening is perfect for me, bc I need to fit crates for work. Two of them side by side are about 6 inches too wide for the 3’s trunk, but I can stand one on its side in the Y and fit two without compromising visibility. But again - I’m lugging a moderate amount of shht around for work regularly, not just driving with a coffee and a laptop, so that little difference makes ALL the difference… for me.

I debated a 3 because I daydream about just zipping around town and making my associates lug our equipment around (alas, “I won’t ask you to do anything I won’t do.” bit me in the ass.)

But what I realized was I that I would use the extra space in the Y more often than I’d be solo in my car other than a few miles here and there for work, so the space had relatively more utility for me. But if I didn’t need the trunk space and the rear leg room so often, I would have had a Model 3 a month ago.

So I decided on a MYLR with 20” wheels and acceleration boost. But then I priced out the order plus the 2k for the AB and…

I realized it was within 500-1000 of the MYP so I bailed on the LR and ordered the MYP. White on white. It’s scheduled to arrive between now and the 9th.

And I have to tell you. The wait is agonizing.

Congrats on the new car.

Currently, AB only makes sense if you already bought the car and when the delta between the P and LR is at least 5k or more, especially on the MY.

If I had to do it over again with my 3, I'd still go with the LR and add AB even though the price delta is closer than about the 8-9k it was when bought. It is plenty quick with AB, as quick to 60 as the MYP and faster from 40 mph up. WIth the money I saved my investment in MPP coilovers benefitted me more than a little bit quicker 0-60 sprint would.

The MY LR is so slow, even with boost, I'd definitely be going with the MYP over the LR, especially at the small difference in price. If you need the room, the Y makes sense. I'd have to say though with the drop in the X prices, and no eligible for the rebate, I'd really start to think about an MX LR over a MYP.

In looking over the Tesla Used Vehicle Inventory all of the Long Range Model Y descriptions include a 0 to 60 MPH time of 4.2 seconds. This would imply that AB was already enabled on these used Long Range Model Y vehicles (perhaps as an additional incentive to buy.)

In looking over the Tesla Used Vehicle Inventory all of the Long Range Model Y descriptions include a 0 to 60 MPH time of 4.2 seconds. This would imply that AB was already enabled on these used Long Range Model Y vehicles (perhaps as an additional incentive to buy.)
They do that a lot (incent with AB) to move them since it basically costs them nothing.

My first time using a buddy's DRAGY on a COLD battery. I have 18s from TSportLine, total weight loss was over 60 pounds.
5Ei6neU.png

howQI9U.jpg

I've been told had I pre-conditioned the battery and had a HIGHER SOC, I would have gotten better times. As I recall my SOC was around 50%.

Personally, I like the MYP with the 18s over the 21s. Here in IL we have potholes with their own zip codes.

I wish we had a place for folks to post their “time slips” like they have on the Corvette Forum. Gonna borrow the DRAGY again and this time I’ll have a higher SOC and HOT battery.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car.

Currently, AB only makes sense if you already bought the car and when the delta between the P and LR is at least 5k or more, especially on the MY.

If I had to do it over again with my 3, I'd still go with the LR and add AB even though the price delta is closer than about the 8-9k it was when bought. It is plenty quick with AB, as quick to 60 as the MYP and faster from 40 mph up. WIth the money I saved my investment in MPP coilovers benefitted me more than a little bit quicker 0-60 sprint would.

The MY LR is so slow, even with boost, I'd definitely be going with the MYP over the LR, especially at the small difference in price. If you need the room, the Y makes sense. I'd have to say though with the drop in the X prices, and no eligible for the rebate, I'd really start to think about an MX LR over a MYP.
The MYP came out to like $55500 and is eligible for the rebate. The MX is $79000 (80 if I add the white interior, and 82 if I also add the bigger wheels), and slower than the MYP. It does get 45 miles more range per charge though. But for me, that’s NOT worth the 24k difference in price.

They do that a lot (incent with AB) to move them since it basically costs them nothing.
I can’t simply thumbs up your post bc I’m too new to the forum, but I can confirm the incentive. Or at least that’s what the advisor told me.

To move vehicles, they add AB and an extra year warranty to the used inventory… which is really tempting. The only reason I went new was bc I was hell bent on getting the new chip (not the old Intel) and the new (as of Nov 22) MY suspension, and couldn’t find a used one that was manufactured recently enough to guarantee it would have both. But honestly, the price different to get exactly what I want wasn’t that much. And - as my buddy says - to get a car that nobody else has farted in. 🤣🤣 he’s kind of an idiot, but I’ve never not thought about that comment while car shopping.

I’d also add that they can get new orders to any service location whereas New/Used inventory can only go to certain places. In my case, a new order is getting delivered 25 minutes from my house, but any new/existing/used inventory would have to be picked up 3.5 hours away.

I would go with just the stock wheels in the X, the 22's hit ride comfort pretty hard. They should have priced it just a bit cheaper so you could get the 7 seat option under the 80k cap. Or make it an option after initial purchase as well.

The X is a lot roomier inside, more upscale overall, better ride comfort, more towing capacity, ventilated seats, bigger screens and more. The real-world range of the MYP isn't that good; really none of the Y's are. The other big plus for people who like performance is the acceleration. The X LR s pretty quick to 60 but just runs away from the 3/Y at any speed over about 30-40 mph.

The other thing that might be hard to put a value on is how much someone values exclusivity. MY and MYPs are like buttholes where I live. Everyone seems to have one. Seeing a 3 is a lot more rare and S and X's still don't litter the landscape even in a pretty affluent area.

When I put it all in context, I sold my MY LR in the mid 60's not long ago. Seems remarkable that a brand new X isn't that far from it currently. I don't think the gap between X and Y have ever been closer. The Y's refresh shouldn't be that far off given the 3's just dropped. Before the price drop on the X, I'd say hands down go with the Y. Now with the rebate in play the X would be a lot more appealing if I were to buy now.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Congrats on the new car.

This alone nails it! A lot of folks focus on straight line, believe me I get it! Straight line performance is fun. Not as fun as maintaining as much of the speed when turning. As an avid track and canyon carver guy that enjoys turning, one of my most valued tuning philosophies revolve around suspension. I don’t mean just tires…

A solid suspension tune revolving around coilovers, sway bars, camber, toe, traction, trailing arms spehrical bearings removing the sloppy rubber bushings in addition to wheels and tires will make the world of a difference.

This can be done to both LR and P trims transforming the car even further.

On a technical track or mtn road, Both the P and LR (+AB) will keep us all in the powerband of fun. (10-60mph before we hit straights) The only worry is being able to slow down and stop a 4400lb car in this scenario without cooking the factory brakes, regen won’t save us.

With that said I also feel the LR isn’t a slouch within the scope above, it’s slower in comparison to the rest of the Tesla lineup, not so slow compared to other cars in the market.

At the end of the day MYP is an overall better platform (unless you need 7 seats) to build from since we’re power limited on the tuning side, gone are the ICE days of adding power ‘easily’.

In my case MYLR7 is still super fun with suspension and brake mods that will give a P some pressure haha. Maybe I go ghost with my rear 980 to satisfy the power. 😁

A solid suspension tune revolving around coilovers, sway bars, camber, toe, traction, trailing arms spehrical bearings removing the sloppy rubber bushings in addition to wheels and tires will make the world of a difference.
I have an MYP and I love taking turns as fast as I can. It's just fun! With my M3LR, I loved seeing how far I could take it. Now that I have an MYP, I'm curious how much it would cost to do some or all of those things you mentioned. I've never been a car person, so I have no clue about the mid-level costs of those kinds of improvements or if it's even worth it. I'm sooooo glad I picked the MYP over the MYLR. I happened to find an inventory car with a discount that made the price delta even smaller and a no brainer to get the MYP. Now I want to have some fun! LOL

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Got it. 3 is most fun. More zippy. Least expensive.
Y is more practical. Holds more, more roomy and seating more comfortable.
S is most beautiful, better suspension and comfortable road trips. Clever hatch back sedan.
X is most practical, best grand tourer, best access/comfort for passengers, but costs more and not the best looking.

Seems like something for everyone.
CyberTruck and New Roadster coming soon.

I have an MYP and I love taking turns as fast as I can. It's just fun! With my M3LR, I loved seeing how far I could take it. Now that I have an MYP, I'm curious how much it would cost to do some or all of those things you mentioned. I've never been a car person, so I have no clue about the mid-level costs of those kinds of improvements or if it's even worth it. I'm sooooo glad I picked the MYP over the MYLR. I happened to find an inventory car with a discount that made the price delta even smaller and a no brainer to get the MYP. Now I want to have some fun! LOL
I believe it! Tesla cars are way too fun to drive, im def the minority not caring too much about range lol.

Drivability mod cost can get out of hand real quick haha.

What’s more important are your goals with the car, what are some of the drivability impacts you’re experiencing when cornering? Predictability, control, roll, etc. It’s all balance, most folks here prefer a softer ride damping imperfections of the road, while others prefer a sportier feel compromising on those aspects.

My recommendation is join your local autoX club and event, drive your car some what full send in a low danger course. Network with those folks to guide you in your path to tuning your car towards your needs. Once you figure out your purpose you’ll get your car setup in no time.

Welcome to the money pit 😜

I believe it! Tesla cars are way too fun to drive, im def the minority not caring too much about range lol.

Drivability mod cost can get out of hand real quick haha.

What’s more important are your goals with the car, what are some of the drivability impacts you’re experiencing when cornering? Predictability, control, roll, etc. It’s all balance, most folks here prefer a softer ride damping imperfections of the road, while others prefer a sportier feel compromising on those aspects.

My recommendation is join your local autoX club and event, drive your car some what full send in a low danger course. Network with those folks to guide you in your path to tuning your car towards your needs. Once you figure out your purpose you’ll get your car setup in no time.

Welcome to the money pit 😜
So that's where it sucks here. I live near the Texas Motor Speedway and they have regular driving events, but the Speedway has decided no electric vehicles are allowed. Our local Tesla group who has guys that want to run the track have been trying for years to explain that EVs are safe, but it's always a "no". There's no track around here that allows EVs. I've actually looked at various classes around here to learn how to properly drive my car on a track and again...having an EV is the problem. I would have to learn on an ICE. You have to drive pretty far to find a track that will allow EVs.