Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y: Performance vs Acceleration Boost vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that's where it sucks here. I live near the Texas Motor Speedway and they have regular driving events, but the Speedway has decided no electric vehicles are allowed. Our local Tesla group who has guys that want to run the track have been trying for years to explain that EVs are safe, but it's always a "no". There's no track around here that allows EVs. I've actually looked at various classes around here to learn how to properly drive my car on a track and again...having an EV is the problem. I would have to learn on an ICE. You have to drive pretty far to find a track that will allow EVs.
I recall hearing this. Looks like there are autoX events in Texas with Tesla drivers participating.

If you have Facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/TexasRegionSCCA/

Reactions: greenmonk
Since my MYP is so new, I'm still figuring out that balance between having fun and being conservative for the range. When I drive conservative and don't floor it, I'm actually getting the official stated range. I might buy a 2nd set of wheels that are light and aerodynamic for long trips (I do them a lot) and just keep the MYP wheels on for local 0-60 fun.

Why wouldn’t you use the lighter wheels for 0-60 fun as well? Wouldn’t they be faster than putting the 21’s back on?

-Paul

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I was going to start my own thread but found this one and thought I'd fire it up again 🔥 :)

I got my wife a 23 MY AWD with nice 5k gov rebate and $1200 of referal credits. she texted me "I love my car!!!" the other day, so she's very happy! Happy wife happy wife?

I bought my '22 Plaid used with 500km, with Ultrasonic sensors (I like them) without ever trying the Y. and now finding I REALLY LIKE her car, and wonder what the Performance er P version is like? Are we allowed to spell things out here or do we need to abreviiate/use acronyms for everything? Sorry, kidding! :D

So I'm look at the Performance Boost option for C$2700 plus tax, $3051, the Ingen Boost $50 for $1800 (could resell it with $50 vin reprog) Those add 50HP. They seem like good bang-for-buck upgrades.

Unfortunately her car came with 20" wheels which are heavier and slower with less range than the 19" ones. Thinking of getting 19 winter package. What about 18" super light wheels and tires?

It seems the lower range of the P model is soley due to the Uber Turbine 21's?! Tesla lists at 459. My wife's car with 20's is 460. Both with 19" SHOULD be 497, no?

The resale is hot on the Y right now, just afraid to even think of telling her I'd like to sell it and order the Performance Model, but I'm thinking about it lol.
Probably not worth the BS.

The Performance sells for $7000 more with wheels I don't like, brakes I do, track mode I like, badge is nice, and overall, a cooler model!

I've never considered rebadging with line under Dual Motor and red brake covers, but with smaller wheels, PB (okay abreviations creep in!) and .59" taller suspension, it'll be a great machine, but alas, not the performance model!

I was going to start my own thread but found this one and thought I'd fire it up again 🔥 :)

I got my wife a 23 MY AWD with nice 5k gov rebate and $1200 of referal credits. she texted me "I love my car!!!" the other day, so she's very happy! Happy wife happy wife?

I bought my '22 Plaid used with 500km, with Ultrasonic sensors (I like them) without ever trying the Y. and now finding I REALLY LIKE her car, and wonder what the Performance er P version is like? Are we allowed to spell things out here or do we need to abreviiate/use acronyms for everything? Sorry, kidding! :D

So I'm look at the Performance Boost option for C$2700 plus tax, $3051, the Ingen Boost $50 for $1800 (could resell it with $50 vin reprog) Those add 50HP. They seem like good bang-for-buck upgrades.

Unfortunately her car came with 20" wheels which are heavier and slower with less range than the 19" ones. Thinking of getting 19 winter package. What about 18" super light wheels and tires?

It seems the lower range of the P model is soley due to the Uber Turbine 21's?! Tesla lists at 459. My wife's car with 20's is 460. Both with 19" SHOULD be 497, no?

The resale is hot on the Y right now, just afraid to even think of telling her I'd like to sell it and order the Performance Model, but I'm thinking about it lol.

The Performance sells for $7000 more with wheels I don't like, brakes I do, track mode I like, badge is nice, and overall, a cooler model!

I've never considered rebadging with line under Dual Motor and red brake covers, but with smaller wheels, PB (okay abreviations creep in!) and .59" taller suspension, it'll be a great machine, but alas, not the performance model!
The 20" Induction wheel and tire are within ~2 lbs (1kg) of the 19" Gemini wheel and tire, so it is not the weight. The Gemini wheel covers excel at reducing air turbulence and account for much of the improved efficiency of the Y with these 19" wheels at highway speeds. For winter driving, winter tires consider skipping the 19" wheels and getting 18" wheels. See TSportline for examples of 18" wheels that will fit the Model Y. Also try Tirerack.com for winter wheel and tire packages.

Glad she is happy with her car, we both love ours.

Dumb question; why would you consider upgrading hers if you have a '22 plaid? Somewhat generalizing but my wife doesn't care about acceleration and keeps her LR in chill mode all the time.

Resale is hot in TO right now? It's terrible in Edmonton, I was ready to unload my MYP for an S Plaid but the hit is just way too big.

In any case, after driving both I can't say the MYP is miles ahead of the MYLR and definitely not worth the hit in selling a '23 LR for the P. The "performance" brakes are barely an upgrade at all:

Just my 2 cents though.

If you are going to get ABoost for the LR3, get ingenext. 1.5 hrs and running smooth. Exact same as AB. At the time I purchased in Jan 2022, it was 1k cnd so quite the bargain compared to 3k!

I too wish I had spring for the P however my 22’ LR3 has 568km max range so not complaining. Best of both worlds.

Is it the 3 handling and point and shoot steering accuracy you enjoy over a Plaid? As that’s pretty much the only advantage a 3 has over an S.

Reactions: easyev

Is your MY a regular AWD non-LR? Thinking of a reasonable path towards Performance power parity.

If LR and you have a 980/4D1/740 Rear Drive motor Ingenext Ghost is your best bet to meet and beat a MYP. Otherwise we’re limited to factory Acceleration Boost or Boost 50. I don’t think the regular MY AWD can do either. Are you able to confirm?

With that said AB will def get you that literal boost, not so much off the line, but on a roll you’re good.

Try not to get fooled with the Performance brakes, front and rear calipers are the same between all MY trims with associated rotor sizes 355F and 335R respectively.

Suspension is slightly stiffer on a MYP with lower springs.

Wheels are also a joke. Larger performance wheels make the brakes look so puny. Personally 19’s are the proper wheel size. I don’t usually recommend larger wheels unless you’re required to upgrade to larger big brake kit where it makes sense.

As you can tell it’s basically the same car aside from a little more power. You’re really just buying into the “Performance” aspect and bragging rights.

In any case, after driving both I can't say the MYP is miles ahead of the MYLR and definitely not worth the hit in selling a '23 LR for the P. The "performance" brakes are barely an upgrade at all:
This!

Yes for sure. It’s the AWD LR I got her. I think the all-wheel-drive only comes in long range now. I’m confused by the rear motor we have, but I’m thinking it’s the non-ghost(able) one!

IMG_8656.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8657.png
    IMG_8657.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 26
The 20" Induction wheel and tire are within ~2 lbs (1kg) of the 19" Gemini wheel and tire, so it is not the weight. The Gemini wheel covers excel at reducing air turbulence and account for much of the improved efficiency of the Y with these 19" wheels at highway speeds. For winter driving, winter tires consider skipping the 19" wheels and getting 18" wheels. See TSportline for examples of 18" wheels that will fit the Model Y. Also try Tirerack.com for winter wheel and tire packages.

2 lbs is huge when you are trying to "spin it". This helps with acceleration. The aero wheel covers help with cruising efficiency.

I agree that the lightweight 18" examples would be best for both EV mileage AND acceleration. Cheaper tires, too. It only sucks in the looks department.

This boost 50 gives lots of great features !

Sorry I’m not answering your questions we’re watching a movie and I’m slipping in the odd reply here and there!

View attachment 988265

No worries you're good. Having an LR is the right path. Both Boost and Ghost provide all the same features. I've heard you can always upgrade to Ghost later if you find out you have the correct drive motor.

here's a video from Ingenext to help identify your rear drive motor

2 lbs is huge when you are trying to "spin it". This helps with acceleration. The aero wheel covers help with cruising efficiency.

I agree that the lightweight 18" examples would be best for both EV mileage AND acceleration. Cheaper tires, too. It only sucks in the looks department.
Truth!
My 19" Rays Volk TE37's are 21lbs compared to Gemini 30lbs. The price of admission is dramatically higher haha.

3D7 = No Ghost mode for me?!

View attachment 988731
Ohhhnoooo!! 780! *sugar*, only has 600A, not enough to be hopeful. Most of the one's compatible are 800A.

It's all good, suspension and braking is more than enough with some form of Acceleration Boost to maintain drivability parity.

• 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D5 / 990 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and wire windings
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 3D7 / 780 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D5 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings

Ohhhnoooo!! 780! *sugar*, only has 600A, not enough to be hopeful. Most of the one's compatible are 800A.

It's all good, suspension and braking is more than enough with some form of Acceleration Boost to maintain drivability parity.

• 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D5 / 990 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and wire windings
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 3D7 / 780 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D5 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
Thank you for this great and thorough answer. I really appreciate it! Kind of sad I don’t have the bigger motor, but what can you do? The performance would’ve cost me $12,000 more. I would’ve lost the $5000 government rebate and the car was another 7000. That’s a lot of coin for the performance. On the other hand, I can’t stop thinking about it!

Is your MY a regular AWD non-LR? Thinking of a reasonable path towards Performance power parity.

If LR and you have a 980/4D1/740 Rear Drive motor Ingenext Ghost is your best bet to meet and beat a MYP. Otherwise we’re limited to factory Acceleration Boost or Boost 50. I don’t think the regular MY AWD can do either. Are you able to confirm?

With that said AB will def get you that literal boost, not so much off the line, but on a roll you’re good.

Try not to get fooled with the Performance brakes, front and rear calipers are the same between all MY trims with associated rotor sizes 355F and 335R respectively.

Wheels are also a joke. Larger performance wheels make the brakes look so puny. Personally 19’s are the proper wheel size. I don’t usually recommend larger wheels unless you’re required to upgrade to larger big brake kit where it makes sense.

As you can tell it’s basically the same car aside from a little more power. You’re really just buying into the “Performance” aspect and bragging rights.

This!
Spoken like a performance model owner lol just kidding!

It’s just kind of cool having the better model. Back when I was a kid I had the civic SI, the more powerful one! Then I got a 97 prelude but didn’t get the SH model. What was the first thing everyone asked me? Oh, is that the SH model? It’s not it wasn’t available when I placed my order! Not a big deal, but it seemed it was a constant question that came up.

• Funny

This!
I completely agree the 19s are the proper size. That’s what I wanted, but there was nothing incoming into Toronto with those wheels. my wife wanted the black interior and I told her the white is fresh and nice and she’d get used to it, and get used to what she did. She loves the car!

Does anyone else drive the New S and then pop into the Y now and then? The S is swipe down on the screen for reverse. With the Y you push up on the drive stalk. It’s a little bit confusing I always have to think about which way to push it for the gear I want. The S just seeks to always know which way I wanna go, but sometimes I swipe down just to confirm when I’m in a hurry.

Overall, I’m in love with this new model Y it is a great car. I can truly see why it’s the best selling car in the world. What doesn’t it do well?!

• Love
If you are going to get ABoost for the LR3, get ingenext. 1.5 hrs and running smooth. Exact same as AB. At the time I purchased in Jan 2022, it was 1k cnd so quite the bargain compared to 3k!

I too wish I had spring for the P however my 22’ LR3 has 568km max range so not complaining. Best of both worlds.

Is it the 3 handling and point and shoot steering accuracy you enjoy over a Plaid? As that’s pretty much the only advantage a 3 has over an S.
OK I’m finally getting around to replying to you. This is one of my favourite questions. But first I want to acknowledge that is some crazy range you’re getting on your range model three, wow! 💪

So why would I want the performance model when I have the plaid? Well, I really didn’t need the plaid, The long range model S is incredibly fast and I think it has about the same horsepower as my old P85DL+, 681ish? so I thought we go with similar power and a slower 0 to 60 and just sprung for the plaid.

When I bought that car, I’ve never been in the MY I didn’t know how much fun it was to drive! You’re right the point and shoot is just incredible on this car… but in the back of my mind, I’m thinking how much more fun is the performance, and where the hell is the amped up version of the Y?! If and when the MS gets canceled, i’m sure we will see some crazy versions of the Y! Can anyone imagine what 600, 700 or 800 horse would feel like? Bring it on!!!