Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MX Rear HVAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 2023.20.7 last night, but the rear HVAC still didn't turn on for me when I put my son in his car seat. He's 14 months old and in a rear facing seat.
Odd. I'm not sure what the trigger is... I assumed it was the FWD opening/closing before car start. Mine turns on automatically now without having to manually touch the rear screen or activate the rear HVAC from the front screen.

Upvote 0
I just got 2023.20.7 last night, but the rear HVAC still didn't turn on for me when I put my son in his car seat. He's 14 months old and in a rear facing seat.
Do you have the seat belt connected? If not, is it in "car seat mode" (Legacy X didn't have this, assuming palladium might) or showing the seatbelt warning? If none of the above, the vehicle doesn't even know there is anything in the rear seat. Also, in legacy X, the vents under the center console were part of the front system, and in previous versions, the rear only turned on automatically when there were occupants in the third row. I believe the rear turns on automatically for legacy X in the latest versions, but if your toddler is in the middle row, the rear A/C may not need to turn on. OTOH, if you only have 2 rows and you have a rear setting, then things have changed a bit more drastically and hopefully the first half of my comment applies.

Upvote 0
Do you have the seat belt connected? If not, is it in "car seat mode" (Legacy X didn't have this, assuming palladium might) or showing the seatbelt warning? If none of the above, the vehicle doesn't even know there is anything in the rear seat. Also, in legacy X, the vents under the center console were part of the front system, and in previous versions, the rear only turned on automatically when there were occupants in the third row. I believe the rear turns on automatically for legacy X in the latest versions, but if your toddler is in the middle row, the rear A/C may not need to turn on. OTOH, if you only have 2 rows and you have a rear setting, then things have changed a bit more drastically and hopefully the first half of my comment applies.
I should have said, I have a 2023 MX that I just got a few days ago. The seatbelt is buckled. The car seat weighs ~25 lbs. and my son weighs ~24lbs. I would think almost 50lbs. in the seat with it buckled would be enough to trigger.

Upvote 0
I should have said, I have a 2023 MX that I just got a few days ago. The seatbelt is buckled. The car seat weighs ~25 lbs. and my son weighs ~24lbs. I would think almost 50lbs. in the seat with it buckled would be enough to trigger.
You still didn't share position (2nd or 3rd row), and that could still be relevant (the historic example in spite of your signature indicating 2023 was to show that your palladium might be in a similar phase, much like I have an energy chart and you don't). In either case, if the base of the seat was wide enough, it might be supported on the edges and not pressing down hard enough t reach the occupancy sensor in the middle. You could verify this by unbuckling the car seat and having the kid sit in it while shifting out of park (obviously don't drive, only do this temporarily to confirm sensor functionality). If you don't get a seat belt warning after doing that, it might explain your issue (even though I feel that the seat belt being buckled should trigger the rear A/C even if the occupancy sensor doesn't get activated).

Upvote 0
You still didn't share position (2nd or 3rd row), and that could still be relevant (the historic example in spite of your signature indicating 2023 was to show that your palladium might be in a similar phase, much like I have an energy chart and you don't). In either case, if the base of the seat was wide enough, it might be supported on the edges and not pressing down hard enough t reach the occupancy sensor in the middle. You could verify this by unbuckling the car seat and having the kid sit in it while shifting out of park (obviously don't drive, only do this temporarily to confirm sensor functionality). If you don't get a seat belt warning after doing that, it might explain your issue (even though I feel that the seat belt being buckled should trigger the rear A/C even if the occupancy sensor doesn't get activated).
Yeah, sorry. I was going to go back and edit the post, but it won't let me...then I forgot...

2nd row, behind passenger, 6 seat configuration.

That's a good point, I'll give the seatbelt thing a try.

Upvote 0
From my experience it only turns on HVAC based on captains chair seating, not third row. Also, car seats don't seem to distribute the weight in a weigh that triggers the HVAC. If you sit yourself in the captain's chair though it should turn on the rear.

I noticed if you use the control rear screen app to select theater mode for the kids it automatically turns on the HVAC as well.

Upvote 0