Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MXP yoke replacement - service says I need computer replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a request to Tesla service for peeling yoke replacement, they are sending mobile service today. They also set me up for "computer/gps" replacement at the SC ( 30 min away) in 5 weeks. The GPS and autopilot all seem to be fine, Im hesitant to have the computer replaced when everything to me is working, any thoughts on this???

Must be a known defect. Getting 'latest' hardware is almost always a better option. I absolutely would let them replace it if it was free. Verify everything is working (strong/same cell tower bars - wire connected, etc). Take picture of your info screen before/after to compare (Menu: Software -> Additional vehicle information). They should save off all your info and then restore it with the new computer.

My 2016 MX had the eMMC replaced, and then another time had a full MCU replaced. (Fortunately both times fully covered under warranty.)

Some tips to consider after the MCU replacement: yes, they should do a save and restore of your profile information, but you'll probably have to reprogram your garage door opener and your bluetooth pairings. You might have to reset your seat configurations. And whatever saved trip mileage counters you had will probably get erased. You should also look closely at your dashboard and make sure everything was reassembled properly, with no extra gaps or other loose fittings in and around the main screen and vents.

But in the grand scheme of things, it is pretty easy job and (other than the points I mentioned) you shouldn't notice any differences.