Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY Performance owners, what car did you replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide if we should upgrade to the Performance model. For the 2023 model (it might have been done earlier), the suspension was supposedly made softer. The detraction to upgrading is the supposed harsh ride that the 21" wheels provide which is why people are buying 19" wheels. I say supposed harsh ride since this is all relative. We pretty much have all very sporty cars with adjustable suspensions where we don't find the hardest setting to be that unbearable.

So for those who are enjoying their 2023 Performance, can you kindly chime in what car/SUV did you come from? I.e. - were you used to harder suspensions and the MYP is even THAT MUCH harder than what you were used to?

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
We just got a Y Performance. It replaced a 2021 Mercedes 450 GLE - which was a GREAT car, but our other car is a 2022 Model S Plaid, and I got spoiled. To be honest, there is not a lot of difference in the two cars, unless you need to launch, (which I'm afraid to do, anyway.)
I'm just as happy driving either car now. For half the price of a Plaid, the Y Performance is pretty amazing. (This is our 4th Tesla - the other 3 were all Model S Performance or Plaid.)

My estimated delivery time is July 23-31, but yeah, another MYP. Changing color to Blue this time.

Trading in (or selling myself - depends on what I can get for it) my '21 MYP.

Last week I sat in a Model S (roof line too low for me. I'm 6'3". PITA to get in and out of), and took a Model X for a test drive, with intentions to purchase a Plaid version. Anyway, the X is nice! Just not nice enough to justify TWICE the price of a new MYP, IMO.

I replaced a 2019 Honda HR-V Touring. It was lowered, by about an inch, on Tanabe springs. Did something similar to my 2010 Honda Fit Sport with Swift Sport springs, which I still have.

After about 500 miles on the MYP, I bought 19" ENKEI PERFORMANCE PX-10 and used that for almost 5k miles, after curbing the 21s. Now, I'm currently back on the 21s after I got a flat in the 19s. It's fixed, just figured I'd use the 21s for the summer or something.

That said... I'll be honest, it mostly feels the same to me. Maybe I'm just too numb to it all after Fit.

The aspect I notice most, is the turning. The low profile 21" tires are less "wobbly" than the higher profile 19" tires while turning. This is why I'm less inclined on switching back to the 19s after the repair. I'm even debating just sticking to the 21s, even with the fear of curbing them again.

I’ve had a lot of sporty cars in the past:
Corvette Z06
Hellcat Challenger
Jeep SRT-8
VW Golf R (multiple generations) w/ mods
GTI tuned by AWE Performance

They all pale in comparison to driving a MYLR or MYP. I can’t believe how amazingly these Teslas drive and I absolutely can’t wait for my MYP to arrive. :):)

Reactions: walex19 and Mike728
For half the price of a Plaid, the Y Performance is pretty amazing. (This is our 4th Tesla - the other 3 were all Model S Performance or Plaid.)
Less than half, really. Especially after you consider the tax credit on the MYP.

I briefly thought about buying a non-Plaid MS. I love the looks of the Model S, and the slightly more luxurious interior…but I more prefer $45k+ in my pocket for those two minor differences. Compared to the S, the Y is a lot of bang for the buck.

In response to this thread, my (shortly to be ordered) MYP is going to replace a 2016 BMW 340i M-Sport, which has been a great car. I’ve owned it longer than any other car I’ve ever had (nearly 7 years), and it’s been nearly flawless. I’m just ready for something different. Almost bought a V8 Cayenne GTS. Pendulum swung the other way and I decided on a MYP :D

I'm trying to decide if we should upgrade to the Performance model. For the 2023 model (it might have been done earlier), the suspension was supposedly made softer. The detraction to upgrading is the supposed harsh ride that the 21" wheels provide which is why people are buying 19" wheels. I say supposed harsh ride since this is all relative. We pretty much have all very sporty cars with adjustable suspensions where we don't find the hardest setting to be that unbearable.

So for those who are enjoying their 2023 Performance, can you kindly chime in what car/SUV did you come from? I.e. - were you used to harder suspensions and the MYP is even THAT MUCH harder than what you were used to?

Thanks in advance!!
Last fall was a feeding frenzy for MYs, we wanted. LR, pivoted to a MYP just to secure a vehicle via waitingfortesla

If we could do it again, do rhe LR for:

LR is fast enough
No complications for tire rotation
Higher ground clearance
Has everything the MYP you want stereo UG

We traded in a top of the line 2016 Wrangler Unlimited, happy with the fair trade
If it works for us in 2025, will switch to CT in order to get back to true off roading

replaced my 2020 LR Y With 19” Gemini with a 2022 MYP with 19” Martian wheels. 100% satisfy! a super car feel in a family crossover with ton of cargo and tech! A truly everyday daily driver! If u want to take it on a long road trip, go ahead. u want to drive liked a Prius driver And be all about efficiency, go ahead. If u want to take on most sport cars off the light, go ahead.

previous cars was a 3rd gen Prius , a Tacoma and a sienna. A toyota guy, now Im very disappointed in toyota for being so late to the game and just coming out with crap EV. Lol

Reactions: Gpa9504
My estimated delivery time is July 23-31, but yeah, another MYP. Changing color to Blue this time.

Trading in (or selling myself - depends on what I can get for it) my '21 MYP.

Last week I sat in a Model S (roof line too low for me. I'm 6'3". PITA to get in and out of), and took a Model X for a test drive, with intentions to purchase a Plaid version. Anyway, the X is nice! Just not nice enough to justify TWICE the price of a new MYP, IMO.
Ordered July 7th. Picking Up July 24th. 17 days. Not bad. :)

Reactions: yellowr6
I wondered this too after I test drove a MYLR and was very impressed with the ride quality. The Gallery near me didn't have any performance models to test drive but I took a risk and got the Performance anyway. I just got my MYP a couple days ago. Came from a 2014 AMG C63. The last of the big NA V-8s. The MYP ride is waaaaay better than the AMG. I would call it firm but but not harsh or rough at all.
The MYP is faster than the AMG in the quarter mile but past that I think the C63 would blow past the Tesla.
AMG definitely wins in build quality.

Ordered July 7th. Picking Up July 24th. 17 days. Not bad. :)
'23 MYP Blue/Black. Picked it up yesterday and I have to give credit where credit is due.

I've read a lot of negative stuff about Tesla's build quality for the past 3 years. My new '23 MYP is TIGHT! It feels more solid than my '21 did. Rattle/squeak free. No misaligned doors/panel gaps. Paint is about perfect,,, IMO. (I'm no expert, but I am very satisfied with first impressions)

My '21 was a great, reliable car. Hopefully this one will be as good.

Attachments

• BlueY#1.jpg
    BlueY#1.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 96
  • BlueY#4.jpg
    BlueY#4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61