Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP to 2023 X LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I want to get thoughts from anyone who has gone from a 2023 MYP (or LR) to a 2023 X (LR). It seems the newer Y's are better in quality and comfort than 2020/2021. I saw a few videos from YouTube and read some stuff on this site. But nothing directly talks about the experience of moving from the newer Y to an X. Looking at making this change for my wife and wanted to get some feedback from anybody who had actually done it.

Thank You!

I own a 2022 MYP and got a MXP. The LR is not significantly different than the Plaid for everyday driving and feel/build.

The MX is a more comfortable ride. It’s noticeably bigger and the front seats are better. It offers 3rd row in 7 and 6 seat configuration and in the 6 seater the 3rd row is usable by adults (but the 2nd row doesn’t fold so you lose some large cargo utility). It has a more insulated feel and absorbs road imperfections better. It has more high end power and torque (I doubt your wife will tap that often)

That said, I think the MX is a more complicated vehicle to live with.

Your wife will hate:

The constant beeping of the inferior vision based parking assist features and the bogus obstacle distances detected. Since this is a pre 2023 Y, the Y will be significantly better in this respect. Edit: I misread this as 2021 MYP so this could very well apply to 2023 Y and its vision only assist. My 2022 MYP works infinitely better still as sensors are still correctly reporting obstacle distance.

The ridiculously poor design of the rear trunk under space cover, which unlike the model Y doesn’t latch upright and constantly dislodges and falls into the cargo well beneath.

The complexity of the doors. Automatic doors don’t open fully, falcon wing doors occasionally open half way or part way even if no obstacles detected, sometimes they try to open full way into an obstacle (rate but you have to be alert be react fast by resistance to prevent it). In an open space they are great but it’ll cause some frustration and anxiety in garages, low ceiling parking garages and spaces where the sensors don’t cope well. The FWDs are amazing to put a child in a booster seat in the 2nd row but that gets cancelled by the anxiety that they will stick their hand and get it crushed by the slowly closing door (probably the door will detect that in most cases but who wants to test it?)

The model X has a much higher probability of exterior fit and finish issues related to FWD alignment, seals, trim.

Unless your wife wants the bigger, faster, more “prestige” vehicle, the model X is not worth the premium. The Y is the better everyday vehicle. You can do $2000 coil overs for better comfort. You can probably even get custom seat bolstering to increase comfort. The Y is equally quiet highway cruiser and less prone to wind noise as it has less seals. It’s just the pre 2022 suspension sucks but it’s fixable.

If money and the aforementioned issues are no objection, the X is a pleasure. The seals will require constant maintenance to reduce squeaks developing and you won’t get the luxury of similarly sized German SUV. The Plaid is the only X I’d consider personally due to the unique performance that your wife likely doesn’t care about and me not minding complexity and quirks as I like to tinker and develop a relationship with the cars design quirks.

Edit: add to list of negatives for the X the risk of mystery subtle suspension/front drive unit vibrations multiple users report on this forum. Haven’t experienced them yet and I hope I don’t.

Last edited:
Thank for the really comprehensive response. Super appreciate it!

You hit the nail on the head. The issues with the doors and door seals etc are a worry and just general hassle. Teslas are great cars if you get a good one!

I had a 2022 MYP until a few months ago. My wife had a 2017 X 100D for 6 years until last month when she traded it for a 2023 X LR.

We agree with most of Milan's post. I would point out that the parking assist noises can be turned off (one of the first things my wife requested I do).

I agree the subtrunk cover design is poor, but we don't have reason to lift it very often - our snow socks, tire patch kit, charging cables and spare tire are under there. Our X is a 5-seater so you can fit all of that under there, unlike in a Y. It's very handy to know it's there if you need it, but the frunk and cargo area are so large we don't need to get in and out frequently. That may be different for you.

I can imagine there are places where the falcon wing doors could conceivably be an issue, but in our years of using them we have never had a problem with them hitting anything (or with the seals, either). In fact they've been so helpful getting grandkids in and out of the car that they were one of the main reasons why my wife would only consider replacing her X with another X.

Our X is definitely quieter on the highway than our Y was; this differs from Milan's experience, but as he has a Plaid I suspect he has different wheels and tires than we do.

My wife also loves the auto-close doors and large windshield on the X. And most of all...she loves the seats in the X. Obviously seat fit will vary by person, but for her the X is a tie for her most-comfortable car ever, whereas she could just tolerate the seats in the Y.

As far as my wife (who loves acceleration, but only in a straight line - handling is not a big deal for her) is concerned, the X is a huge win over the Y. I love the X for road trips and grandkid duty and am glad she has one we can use, but for day-to-day driving I prefer something more like the MYP because it is smaller, cheaper, more efficient, and handles better.

Great posts from @Milan Djabirov and @ChadS

Have a 2022 MYP and 2023 MXP

To add to their posts:
The new high fidelity park assist got rid of the majority of annoying chimes. Before, it was so bad I wanted to disable it completely
X is quieter than the Y for sure. It's also much less harsh on bumps but my Y doesn't have the comfort suspension
I tossed the X cargo cover into the garage as we carry a stroller around and the stroller doesn't fit in the back with the 3rd row seats up
Falcon wing doors have been flawless after programming them to open all the way in the garage. They've been good in public places too but I dont park in garages often when I'm out
2023 auto open doors aren't as bad as people online make them out to be. If you wait 1 second after it cracks opens, it actually helps you swing the door open rather than immediately swinging it and fighting the motor

I am being overly critical of the X, but likely this is due to having an almost perfect fit/finish/manners Y, and the X being in service for 2nd time for issues like the charge port not opening, the aforementioned wind noise that only shows at speeds over 75 mph (so of course SC can’t test at that speed), the repeater camera stopping mysteriously until I did a DAS reset in service mode (car warm reboot didn’t help) and a few annoying trim alignment issues. They are all fixable I hope. But there was a poor fellow with another brand new X ahead of one of my visits coming for a 3rd time and being told he needed windshield replacement due to whistling air noises at speed. He seemed defeated. Some negative bias samples.

The other day the FWD tried to open in my garage with a clearance of less than an inch against a window on the wall by the time I stopped it. It was going to clear but barely as the window frame sticks out. I had to literally force it to stop - no way my wife would have stuck her hand and try that. You are going to have to be careful with the FWD, it will cause some anxiety for sure.

All that said I prefer the MXP and hope to solve these and sell the Y. But would I recommend the X over a Y in general at the price difference - I believe the answer would be no for over 90% of potential buyers.

Since I use the trunk cover all the time, I ended up ordering these, arriving today.

Funny thing to go on Etsy to order 3D printed plastic shims on a 90-100K vehicle.

Will report if they work.

Reactions: Daniel L
I had a 22 MYP w the MPP comfort coilover. That Y was perfect in every way except the ride quality (even after coils). I just got the MX LR and I don’t miss the Y one bit. The biggest downside is a slightly bigger car to park. Otherwise everything is better than the Y. On daily driving and not mountain cruise it handles just as well. Same acceleration, better interior, much better sound insulation this thing is a joy to drive. I actually like the falcon doors in a tight garage the Y was a little annoying as I couldn’t open the doors wide open. My X has no weird noises. The trunk cover is not as nice but so much more room than the Y. Overall I couldn’t be more pleased. Considering it’s only 71k after credits and discount vs my MYP 65k, this is a steal.

I am being overly critical of the X, but likely this is due to having an almost perfect fit/finish/manners Y, and the X being in service for 2nd time for issues like the charge port not opening, the aforementioned wind noise that only shows at speeds over 75 mph (so of course SC can’t test at that speed), the repeater camera stopping mysteriously until I did a DAS reset in service mode (car warm reboot didn’t help) and a few annoying trim alignment issues. They are all fixable I hope. But there was a poor fellow with another brand new X ahead of one of my visits coming for a 3rd time and being told he needed windshield replacement due to whistling air noises at speed. He seemed defeated. Some negative bias samples.

The other day the FWD tried to open in my garage with a clearance of less than an inch against a window on the wall by the time I stopped it. It was going to clear but barely as the window frame sticks out. I had to literally force it to stop - no way my wife would have stuck her hand and try that. You are going to have to be careful with the FWD, it will cause some anxiety for sure.

All that said I prefer the MXP and hope to solve these and sell the Y. But would I recommend the X over a Y in general at the price difference - I believe the answer would be no for over 90% of potential buyers.
Your x sounds like my Y with wind noise I can’t fix. They replaced the windshield and door seals, no improvement. I added the rpm Tesla wind noise kit, minor improvement.

It’s now a small deal for me and I gave up. I only criticize because my 22 had the wind noise my 21 didn’t

Your x sounds like my Y with wind noise I can’t fix. They replaced the windshield and door seals, no improvement. I added the rpm Tesla wind noise kit, minor improvement.

It’s now a small deal for me and I gave up. I only criticize because my 22 had the wind noise my 21 didn’t
I’m optimistic since the noise comes from the upper part of the driver side window and only at 70-75 mph +. Visually couldn’t find anything but likely there’s a seal pressure issue against the frameless window somewhere. Incidentally my gloss black trim is not seated completely in the back there - one of the delivery issues cars in service for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 59
One of the problems with the Y is the suspension. No matter what you do to it, it will never be as smooth and quiet as in the X.

But, my biggest concern with the Y is you have like a 20-25% chance of getting a Y that has the rear hatch booming noise issue. Search for it if you have not heard of it. I found out after doing a test drive of a brand new Y just recently. It’s real and it is was extremely bothersome. People spend hours and hundreds/thousands of dollars and still won’t make it go away. Tesla, of course, says nothing is wrong.

My experience with my Aug 2022 made MYP is not at all like that. I don't have the hatch booming issue to any measurable extent (I can compare with 2 other Teslas I own, a late 2021 made, 2022 M3P and 2023 MXP) and the suspension is not at all what most Y owners describe especially on the 21 inch Michelin AS factory tires. I don't know if credit goes to any tweaks Tesla did on MYP before MYLR suspension-wise in 2022.

Between the 3 and the X it is the best built car, the only thing I would change about the suspension is what I did to my M3P - add the UP sway bars and links. I don't think it needs coilovers, it just needs more composure when unsettled.

The only thing wrong with my '22 PY is I missed the comfort suspension by a couple of months. I did have to have the front steering rack replaced last year. That was fun. We had to spend a full day entertaining ourselves with a M3 loaner while they worked on it. We live 200 miles from the SC.

I wasn’t aware of any suspension changes. The only thing I was somewhat disappointed about was not having the folding privacy cover by a coupe of months but later I realized I don’t need it. Only later I read at some point MYP suspension was tweaked in 2022 and that is not the same time as the 2023 MYLR suspension change. But today I got in the MYP from a few days in the MXP and suspension or not the interior felt so barebones and cheap lol

There are so many things that the current model Y has refined that makes the model X the neglected step-child.

Take the trunk area on the 6 seater for instance. There's nothing on the stock vehicle to keep cargo in place and one quick stop and everything is up front with the driver. You'd have to buy things to prevent that from happening. Some of the solutions, like the Trunk Shield, are pricey. A cargo net would be a cheaper option, but that isn't very strong. I've read even the lower trunk compartment door could use some love, like a way to prop it open.

I guess we should be lucky we have matrix headlights, rear screen, hw 4 and the heat pump.

Since I use the trunk cover all the time, I ended up ordering these, arriving today.

Funny thing to go on Etsy to order 3D printed plastic shims on a 90-100K vehicle.

Will report if they work.

Looks to me to be a bit fragile if I throw something heavy on top, and $40 is a bit overpriced.

I would think a 2x4 (painted black) the width of the car with two hinges screwed to the trunk cover and a steel plate on each end of the 2x4 to slip into the sides, would be a nice work-around.